Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
bashley
Human being with feelings

Default Midi controllers- Agnostic vs Sectarian (huh?)

I'm a newbie. Just downloaded Reaper. Weighing a MIDI keyboard controller purchase, 49 key. I'd like to check with the more experienced folks about an impression I'm getting about the controller marketplace.

My question: When it comes to hardware/software bundles, is it fair to say that some hardwarebrands are hell-bent on assimilating the buyer into their software cult (sect)? Are some brands less driven by this motive and much less prone to this bias (agnostic)?

Example: I'm comparing Nektar's Panorama T4, alongside Arturia's Keylab MKII and Kontact's S49. Whereas Arturia and Kontact seem to luring me into their respective software dens, Nektar seems more neutral in its promotions.

The Arturia and Kontact models are more expensive and granted have some apparent hardware pluses, but I'm wondering how much I'm paying for software and how much I'm being led into being domesticated into a captured customer.

BTW, the reason I chose Reaper is first and foremost the forum community here. Lots of depth and breadth of experience and knowledge of so many helpful patrons.

Although new to electronic music production, I've been studying/playing classical guitar for decades. My goals are simple, to compose short multi-part etudes combining guitar with virtual instruments, synths, percussion. Also into ambient music with jazz leanings.

Am I naive? Any suggestions? Appreciate any input, thanks.
bashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Philbo King

As long as it outputs midi, Reaper doesn't care what brand it is. You just map controls and note keys to actions or effect controls anyway.

However, it is preferable to get one with encoders rather than pots for knobs/faders.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
bashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
As long as it outputs midi, Reaper doesn't care what brand it is. You just map controls and note keys to actions or effect controls anyway.

However, it is preferable to get one with encoders rather than pots for knobs/faders.
Thanks Philbo.
bashley is offline   Reply With Quote