Old 02-14-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Default Unable to slave REAPER to Beatstep Pro

Hi Peeps,

I normally synchronise my Beatstep Pro to REAPER with REAPER as the Master.

When I try to set the BSP as the Master and REAPER as slave REAPER just sits there waiting for the MTC.

I've tried various settings.

I have tried the MIDI input on my OCTA-CAPTURE

I also tried the MIDI input on my MOTU micro lite and when I pressed play on the Beatstep Pro the MIDI activity light flashed (even though all the sequences were blank).

I have watched Kenny's video on this subject. Doesn't look like rocket science to me...

Yes, all my MIDI ports are enabled.

I have checked the manual for my BSP and used Artuia's MIDI Control Centre to make sure I have everything set right there... Not that there is anything to set.

I had already tried this same exercise in Cakewalk and the result was Cakewalk would start playing, indicating that it was receiving MIDI time code but for some reason Cakewalk wouldn't match tempo with the BSP.

Kinda scratching my head here...

cheers

andy
Old 02-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Reaper doesn't like to be a slave. It is known.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:15 AM   #3
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Reaper doesn't like to be a slave. It is known.
Haha! Oh well, I was just checking something "for a friend" and I prefer to run my DAW as master anyway.

Thanks ED, your input is much appreciated, as always

cheers

andy
Old 02-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
carbon

Maybe this will help:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...88&postcount=4
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Thanks, carbon, but what am I looking at here? I mean, why are the BSP outputs important if MTC is coming in via an input.

Also, why two Beatstep Pro inputs?

One thing I haven't tried yet is connecting my BSP directly to my PC. Might try that next...

cheers

andy
Old 02-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Thanks, carbon, but what am I looking at here? I mean, why are the BSP outputs important if MTC is coming in via an input.

Also, why two Beatstep Pro inputs?

One thing I haven't tried yet is connecting my BSP directly to my PC. Might try that next...

cheers

andy
I thought you were connecting to the PC and not succeeding. That's the way I did it - USB to computer.
There you can see the Beatstep inputs/outputs.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I thought you were connecting to the PC and not succeeding. That's the way I did it - USB to computer.
There you can see the Beatstep inputs/outputs.
Thanks, yeah.

I did try that the other night and it worked but REAPER stuttered terribly for some reason.

Plus there was a strange wining noise created at some of the inputs for some reason. As soon as I unplugged the BSP the noise went away. So I have gone back to connected the BSP to my system via MIDI ports.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #8
carbon

Quote:
Thanks, yeah.

I did try that the other night and it worked but REAPER stuttered terribly for some reason.

Plus there was a strange wining noise created at some of the inputs for some reason. As soon as I unplugged the BSP the noise went away. So I have gone back to connected the BSP to my system via MIDI ports.
Strange, doesn't happen here. Not the stuttering nor the noise.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
shmuelyosef

I use a BSP with Reaper (Win10) and had lots of learning pains, but now it's a very efficient part of my workflow with several track templates that go into most projects. Key learnings:

1. While you can make it work by futzing around, the USB interface is unpredictable at times as a MIDI transmitter. I have found that everything is much more stable if you reserve the USB for Midi Control, and use MIDI (yes, with cables and hubs) for all the musical note/control transmissions.

2. I generally build my sequences in standalone mode, but freely use SW synths/modules, and hardware synths as my 'clients' using routing with both Midi-OX and Reaper

3. When I have tracks/scenes I like, I record them into Reaper by setting the BSP sync to MIDI, setting up a track(s) to record from the correct channels and then just hit Record (ctrl-R) to start the scene and the record simultaneously...similar for recording a live track. I don't worry if it overruns as I only record the Midi and then 'generate' the audio later (gives me choice to change my client sound engine)

...the 'Scene' mode has been very valuable to get away from live performance, but have the recording feel that way. Every loop/measure has 3-10 variations that then get stitched up.

Also, Arturia recently released a custom USB driver which is much more predictable than using the Windows driver, AND....finally enabled me to use an external keyboard for my sequence programming..YAYYY!!!
Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 AM   #10
mixpan solo

Also, Arturia recently released a custom USB driver which is much more predictable than using the Windows driver, AND....finally enabled me to use an external keyboard for my sequence programming..YAYYY!!![/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the tip! Where can I find this USB driver?
mixpan solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
shmuelyosef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixpan solo View Post
Hey, thanks for the tip! Where can I find this USB driver?
It popped up when I updated the firmware on the BSP...
Old 06-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
shmuelyosef

The stutter problem has returned on my BSP since the recent update.

Everything works fine if I sync my MiniBrute 2S, but if I use similar descriptions and sync the BSP it plays <1 beat and then stops if I start from Measure 1 beginning and if I start from Measure 2 it runs, but starts late and is not synchronized.

I'm using MIDI sync with Reaper sending the clock at (I believe) 24 ppqn (I set this in the MIDI preferences to match both synths)
Old 10-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
maxdembo

Quote:
Plus there was a strange wining noise created at some of the inputs for some reason. As soon as I unplugged the BSP the noise went away.
I have found my PC in general can be prone to USB audio noise interference on inputs, previously due to my phone being plugged in.

The BSP brought this problem back big time, but if I use hubs and quality leads, and try plugging different power sources, I eventually found a configuration that worked. I use a cable and hub from https://www.retrokits.com, and they also sell ground loop isolators.

I'm currently just using a MIDI lead for the BSP and Reaper but I cannot for the life of me get Reaper to obey the BSP's tempo knob... Any tips or tricks on getting this working? It works fine in BFD3 standalone...
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote