Old 06-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Tanager
Human being with feelings

Default Lost 4 R channels

I have experience with other DAW's but am new to Reaper. I am using Reaper v6.12 in Mac OS 10.14.6. I opened the routing window and have routed the track for my 4-channel BFormat sound file to 8 channels and am sending the 8-channel output to a master track. According to the many tutorials I have watched, I should be seeing all eight tracks in the meter, but only see the left four tracks. There should also be four tracks in the right channel. Does anyone know what is going on here? I would be grateful for any advice.
Tanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
plush2

Do you have a plugin that is converting your 4 channel 1st order ambisonic signal to (I presume) a modified 8 channel 2nd order ambisonic signal? The important part is how you are getting the 4 channels to become 8 channels. From there we should be able to figure out your problem.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #3
Tanager

Thank you plush2. Here is my workflow:
1. Create two new tracks. One is for the ambisonic file and the other is for the master send.
2. I load the 4-channel ambisonic file (which is BFormat FuMa). The four channels show up and play in the track fine. I go to Route and set track channels to 8. Then I go to "Add new send" and send to the track designated for the master send. For Audio on the send I change Audio 1/2 to multichannel source --> 8 channels --> 1-8.
3. I then go to Route and change the master send track to 8 channels and keep the "master send" box checked. I set the receive multichannel source --> 8 channels --> 1-8.

In this case, I am not using any plugins, although I have tried this with the various FB360 plugins with the same issue occurring. Interestingly, when I use the Soundfield by Rode plugin and set the output to 7.1, I can see all 8 channels. Weird. I must be missing a step in the routing, but I can't figure it out.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:45 AM   #4
jm duchenne

It is not weird that you can see 8 channels when you use the Rode plugin : as plush2 has told you, you NEED a plugin to decode the 4 channels ambisonic file, even if you want to hear it only in stereo.

There is now a lot of excellent plugins that will decode your file to the 8 channels you want, such as the IEM or Ambix that are listed on this forum.

Also you don't need to use a special track for sends : just insert the plugin on you track (set to 8 channels), or on the Master and let Reaper send the sound from you track to the Master and to your hardware outputs...
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:50 AM   #5
jm duchenne

Also there is no "4 Left" and "4 right" channels.
You see it because Reaper continues to show a Left/Right meter on the Master when it is set to multichannel even if it has no use and can be confusing...
Just ignore it ;-)
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
Tanager

Thanks! It is starting to make more sense. I will investigate the plugins you mentioned.