COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 05-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
lavrgs
Human being with feelings

Default Advice for creating a good mix

Are there some guidelines for someone that is hosting a group on Ninjam to get the levels "right"?

I see that there is mention of setting your local mix to -12dB. Is there a way to limit the input of what gets recorded? I'm working third hand trying to resolve mix problems that are causing frustration for a local group that has limited Ninjam experience...like I know what I'm doing...9-)
lavrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Fergler

Use a simple compressor. If they're new to this I'd suggest S.LA.X. JS effect by Sonic Anomaly (it can also be grabbed as a VST if that's easier) as it is basically 2 knob operation.

Set their level to aim for -12 peak, then have them turn up the Peak setting til it makes an appreciable difference and turn up gain to compensate. Keep going until it feels audible at all playing levels.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
gravyface

I’d also highly recommend the bass player run a compressor with 4:1 ratio and medium attack/release, level it out a bit. Also a high pass filter up around 45-60Hz will take out some of that low end energy that can eat up the headroom in the room and doesn’t contribute anything really useful for collaboration.
gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
lavrgs

Excellent advice - it makes sense - the compressor part was something I thought about but the high pass for the bass is a great idea.

Thanks

Bill
lavrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
Excellent advice - it makes sense - the compressor part was something I thought about but the high pass for the bass is a great idea.

Thanks

Bill
High (75-100) and low (7-10k) pass guitars helps too. Keys same thing. Because everyone is DIing, there is a ton of informational that’s not needed.
gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote