First the env:
4 Keyboards:
Arturia Keylab
Custom KB used exclusively for Hauptwerk
Roland JX10
Roland RD800
Computer:
Win 10 Home, 32GB mem, Raided SSD, AMD 8 core CPU

MOTU, Akai , Steinberg Audio interfaces (USB)

Software:
Reaper
East-west Play
Hauptwerk
Native Instrument (various)

Everything is up to date, with as little customization as poss.

If I open a project containing EAT-West strings and set the sensitivity on the VST interface, Reaper dies immediately. After restart this repeats, at least 3 x now.

This in addition to the screwing around I have to do to get the Hauptwerk VST working with Reaper. After cold start, I reload all VSTs, then reload Hauptwerk from the 'Failed' list then remove it from any project and re-attach it. Oh, and then reset all midi on both sides.This, or anything like it, should not be necessary.

I assume from the lack of shouting on the forum, this is not common. Can anyone, please, point me towards a solution short of replacing Reaper?

Really appreciated

BTW I needed to type this all out twice - the forum also crashed.

Last edited by pbeau; 07-30-2021 at 06:16 PM. Reason: completion after forum crash
pbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
Pink Wool
Human being with feelings

Sound more like a computer issue. The forum can't crash (well it can but that would be on a server and affect all of us) but your browser can.

Could also be a faulty vst that crashes Reaper but since you mention the forum crashing...
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeau View Post
I assume from the lack of shouting on the forum, this is not common. Can anyone, please, point me towards a solution short of replacing Reaper?
This is not very common, no. And when Reaper crashes it is typically a flunky plugin that takes it down.

But you need to help us to help you... At a minimum the crash log is needed. See here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 how to find it and post it here.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
pbeau

Gents

Thanks for the replies and I agree - the likely culprit is a vst (it always is). I have now got it to work again through some gymnastics and a paperclip and some bubblegum. The Arturia stuff is generally fine - it was only recently that started to be a problem and after reboot and reload and re-install of Reaper, that now seems OK. Hauptwerk is a perenneial problem child. It is an odd vst in that all it provides is one midi device to a separately running instance (it can't run in the DAW) but until recently (last few months) carefully starting things up in a particular order was reliable. In general, once it is working, it stays that way until the next reboot.
I misspoke on the forum crash... it didn't crash so much as went down for maintenance in the middle of typing the note (at least that was the error message).
I've noted the crash dump instructions and will use that in future.

I've spent a lot of time and money in building what should have been a trouble-free installation. All this stuff is new, mainstream, updated, and not 'adjusted' from default unless absolutely necessary.

BTW, I just noticed I am running win 10 home - I thought it was pro. Does that matter?

Any other suggestions for being able to ignore the technical side of things and spend more time on the music is much appreciated.
PB
Old 08-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #5
pbeau

Default new crash

Reaper exited to windows, no error msg.

I had a power glitch and rebooted as a result. Reaper could not enable the USB device I am using for this - USB 2.0 ... cheap usb/midi interface, reliable for years.
Reset usb hub and got it enabled at OS level but reaper still could not see it. Reset midi devices. Nope. re-enabled midi device and reaper exited.

Crash file attached.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this. It has been a long time :-).

thanks

PB
Attached Files
File Type: txt reaper-crash.txt (28.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
Fabian

In that text file we find:
Code:
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=Play.vst3
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=6.1.9.0
Bridge that plugin in a separate process and hopefully the crashes will stop. The plugin may still crash, but it wont bring Reaper down.

Last edited by Fabian; 08-02-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #7
pbeau

Fabian

Many thanks for the info. Play is East-West symphonic and similar stuff = pretty mainstream but no suprise =- it was that I was adjusting (velocity as it happens) when it crashed.

Can you let me know what 'bridged' means and how to set it up? It sounds somewhat like I use Haptwerk - runs in a separate process with only a midi link provided by the vst.

I'm going to send this over to East-west.

Best

PB
Old 08-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
Can you let me know what 'bridged' means and how to set it up? It sounds somewhat like I use Haptwerk - runs in a separate process with only a midi link provided by the vst.
The User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php), which holds lots and lots of good info, has in Section 16.16 a short and concise description of bridging. Check it out.

Bridging allows to not have the plugin run in the same process as Reaper, so that if the plugin crashes, Reaper remains intact.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #9
pbeau

Let me close this one out (successfully!)
East-Westadvise a re-install of their product and a library refresh. The crashes have not come back.

More fundamentally, | was experiencing instability around the midi and audio over a long period and tried numerous fixes, all to no solution. I recently replaced the USB hub (and cable) and, it seems to have worked. Apparently, the hub shuts off when not in use - or after a certain time.. or something else. Unexpected behavior to say the least.

Thanks to all for the help here, especially the guides to crash reporting.

Be3st

PMB
Old 08-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #10
toleolu

Quote:
I recently replaced the USB hub (and cable) and, it seems to have worked. Apparently, the hub shuts off when not in use - or after a certain time.. or something else. Unexpected behavior to say the least.

Thanks to all for the help here, especially the guides to crash reporting.

Be3st

PMB
Sounds like you got it working, great. I was curious about this USB hub, are any of the devices you use with Reaper connected to this hub?

I only ask because you mentioned other issues that you were having, and there have been a number of posts here in the past about people having trouble with those USB hubs.