Old 07-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
daniel88v8
Human being with feelings

Default linux newb

so i burned the av linux ms iso in rufus, i choose dd mode because was the only way to burn the iso,
reboot put the USB wait for the livecd to start, recognized all my crap even the cheap sound card later i open reaper and test the latency i think wasnt as good as my w7 config.
later i installed to the hdd folow the steps, until i see an option to install grub and didnt know what to choose.

Then I opened firefox to look for information but the system did not respond, I waited to see if it happened but it still did not respond then I panicked and turned off the pc I removed the usb and turned on the pc again, but now I could not enter windows I got a K BOOT error, after looking for information on the internet I saw that I had to configure the boot disks in the bios this did not work. so I started again with the av linux livecd, entered gparted and I put the boot flag to the windows partition and now I can enter windows.
so I started again to where the system had frozen and chose the option of GPT and installed av linux in an empty partition, but when I restart the pc it goes directly to windows and does not give me the option to choose.

well this was my first experience in linux.

sorry for my english
daniel88v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
4duhwinnn

Hi, you might have to use your early-boot key-press to access the boot options. If you are unfamiliar, it might flash on-screen briefly before windows is engaged. It's used to enter the bios or administrator mode, when settings need to be changed. On my computers, it's F10 or esc key.
Don't give up!

I've always used the MBR option. This page might be helpful:

https://linuxhint.com/install_debian_10/

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 07-03-2021 at 07:00 PM.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
4duhwinnn

Since AVLinux uses MX Linux as a basis, their help forum might be good luck:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=104
Old 07-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
daniel88v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Hi, you might have to use your early-boot key-press to access the boot options. If you are unfamiliar, it might flash on-screen briefly before windows is engaged. It's used to enter the bios or administrator mode, when settings need to be changed. On my computers, it's F10 or esc key.
Don't give up!

I've always used the MBR option. This page might be helpful:

https://linuxhint.com/install_debian_10/

I thought that windows was going to show the two options and also I thought that if you choose the mbr option it will delete the windows installation. This is much easier than I thought.

so this grub replaces the windows bootloader?
Old 07-03-2021, 10:58 PM   #5
4duhwinnn

That looks right, to me. I don't have windows installed, but I get the same three entries you see, along with some Ubuntu setups. What steps did you take to get to that welcome screen, from where you were?

The link below looks like a good read for dealing with new/different/unfamiliar installation possibilities, that I need to study. I'd hate to give out incorrect advice!

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

Cheers
Old 07-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
daniel88v8

Quote:
That looks right, to me. I don't have windows installed, but I get the same three entries you see, along with some Ubuntu setups. What steps did you take to get to that welcome screen, from where you were?

The link below looks like a good read for dealing with new/different/unfamiliar installation possibilities, that I need to study. I'd hate to give out incorrect advice!

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

Cheers
There were two options to install grub, MBR that only let me select the complete hard disk, and GPT that let me select the partition where I was going to install linux.
I chose to install grub on the linux partition with GPT since I was afraid of deleting my windows installation.
but when I restarted the pc the option did not appear in the windows bootloader to be able to choose between w7 and linux, I suppose that the windows bootloader does not recognize the linux installation.
so later I decided to reinstall linux with the MBR option and I guess grub replaced the windows bootloader, which has no problem letting me choose between other operating systems.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
4duhwinnn

Thanks for replying. Decisive clarifications are always helpful
for others coming by in future months/years! Hope you're enjoying the new system!
Cheers
Old 07-09-2021, 01:45 AM   #8
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Fwiw , I have been told by several people that dual booting is an issue with Linux and windows being on the same physical drive. That to dual boot with minimal error is two hdd. One for each operating system. When installing linux to its own drive, unplug the windows hdd bothe the power and data cables. Once Linux reboots, shut down and reconnect the windows hdd. Reboot and use your preload USB key to bring up the hdd to boot from.

On my system, I set the Linux drive before the windows drive to load through the bios setting. So linux will boot but Grub gives me the option to choose the windows disk. You can do the same but there are more set up steps to have the windows boot loader handle the same thing.

Be warned. Anytime windows updates, before you update it, shut down and make sure you have your live cd for Linux and disconnect the Linux hdd. Windows installer is a bully and will overwrite all instances of any other operating system from your computer. The hdd and everything is still there but it corrupts grub. Every time. You just have to boot from the Linux hdd using the live cd. And the update grub and you’ll be good. I’ve been using linux two maybe theee months now with nothing but audio issues and have had to install and reboot many times. Starting to hate both systems actually.
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn.LaSanche View Post
Be warned. Anytime windows updates, before you update it, shut down and make sure you have your live cd for Linux and disconnect the Linux hdd.
newbie wanting to try linux here....

I was planning on removing all HDs and installing linux on its own HD. The reinstalling all HD. Planing to switch by using the BIOS order (hit DEL, change bios settings, etc).

Are you telling me this wont work reliably? I dont get the "bootloader" are you saying windows updates kills the other linux HD ability to boot if I chnage the boot in the bios?
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
newbie wanting to try linux here....

I was planning on removing all HDs and installing linux on its own HD. The reinstalling all HD. Planing to switch by using the BIOS order (hit DEL, change bios settings, etc).

Are you telling me this wont work reliably? I dont get the "bootloader" are you saying windows updates kills the other linux HD ability to boot if I chnage the boot in the bios?
That will work. The one thing that will likely happen at some point is that Linux will get an update that requires it to update grub, and it will go, hey there is a bootable Windows on that other drive, I'm going to add it and give you a boot menu with a few seconds to decide.

That exact scenario happened to me but going from Xubuntu Linux to Manjaro Linux. I pulled all SSDs and installed Manjaro on a brand new NVME M.2 drive, and I had to use the bios boot menu to boot the old drive.

Then I got an update that needed to refresh grub, and now I have a 5 second boot menu provided by grub to select either the default Manjaro Linux or Xubuntu Linux. It's actually easier to let grub handle it, but in my case I will be retiring the Xubuntu drive and only have it still connected in case I missed something when moving to Manjaro.

Note: by having all other drives disconnected when you install Linux on its own private drive, all the grub stuff will also be on that drive, so if you ever remove it, Windows will boot fine once you tell the bios to boot from that drive. Or if you have Windows set as the boot drive, Linux may still add a boot menu at some point, but you would only see it if you told the bios to boot from the Linux drive drive.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:36 PM   #11
s wave

I do 'cold' swapping hard drives on a mobo that will allow me to do this; very IMPORTANT to me. If I want to switch to Windows or Fedora - I swap the drives out with the PC turned off. I tried everything and this is my fav set up for multiple OSs. (you could use a switch if you want too?)
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #12
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I do 'cold' swapping hard drives on a mobo that will allow me to do this; very IMPORTANT to me. If I want to switch to Windows or Fedora - I swap the drives out with the PC turned off. I tried everything and this is my fav set up for multiple OSs. (you could use a switch if you want too?)
I may do that - I have removable drives in my rack mount
I HATE it when bootloades stomp on the other drives
Old 07-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
In the scenario I outlined earlier, which matched how you did your install with no other drives present, I don't think you will get bootloader stuff on anything but the Linux drive. Had the bootable Windows drive been installed when you installed Linux, it would have put the bootloader on the Windows drive, but since the only drive installed when Linux was installed, the boot stuff is only on that drive.

At some point an update in Linux will probably re-write the bootloader and it will see that there is a bootable Windows and add that to the list of bootable devices, but it will still all live on the Linux drive and would only be seen booting Linux.

IOW, If I boot my old Xubuntu SSD by using the boot menu in my BIOS I won't see the grubloader at all and it boots straight to Xubuntu.

IF OTOH I boot Manjaro, I'll see the grub boot menu because it's on the Manjaro NVMe M.2 drive that was the only drive installed when I installed Manjaro. If I pulled the NVMe M.2 drive out, Xubuntu will boot like it was always the only bootable drive.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #14
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
In the scenario I outlined earlier, which matched how you did your install with ....

OK I think I could live with that. What I DONT want is dependencies on requiring both harddrives to be running or the HD with (or without?) the bootloader not working if the other drive is not installed

I seem to recall from the old days of windows (not sure the version) of something like that happening to me
Old 07-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
OK I think I could live with that. What I DONT want is dependencies on requiring both harddrives to be running or the HD with (or without?) the bootloader not working if the other drive is not installed

I seem to recall from the old days of windows (not sure the version) of something like that happening to me
I've had it happen to me before too, which is why I only had my new NVMe M.2 drive installed when I installed Manjaro.

Later that same day I connected the SSD I had been using before with Xubuntu, and I did not have a boot menu, and I could boot either drive using the boot selection in my BIOS.

Then a couple of weeks later I got a big update in Manjaro that wanted to reboot, and that was when I got a boot menu so the first thing I did was use my bios to select the older SSD with Xubuntu, and it booted straight up with no grub menu. Then I booted Manjaro and got the boot menu, so for shits and grins, I selected Xubuntu, and it booted. Lastly I just let it time out and it booted to Manjaro like I want it to if I turn it on and leave the room.

What that testing told me though is that my SSD with Xubuntu has no grub loader, but the NVMe M.2 with Manjaro does. I'm pretty sure that the problems we've both seen were when the other OS was visible when Linux was installed so it put a grub loader on the drive that already had an OS.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #16
Glennbo

I finally yanked the Xubuntu SSD out of my machine so it's pure Manjaro now, and will use that SSD to make backups now.

To get rid of the orphaned Xubuntu entry on the grub menu, and to stop grub from even displaying a menu at boot time, I simply ran the command,

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

which looked around and only saw Manjaro. I rebooted and no more grub boot menu. Goes straight into Manajaro no questions asked.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #17
LCipher

Quote:
Isudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
thanks good to know. my summer vac is coming up and I think I'll get a cheap SSD and try out Manjaro
Old 07-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
thanks good to know. my summer vac is coming up and I think I'll get a cheap SSD and try out Manjaro
That's exactly how I eased into Linux. I bought a cheap 250GB Samsung SSD for like $50 and only had it installed when I installed Linux. I ran with just the one drive for a few days and then hooked my Windows drive back up so I could boot either using the boot menu in my BIOS. It was right after I hooked my Windows drive back up that experimental versions of REAPER for Linux started being available, and my plan to use offline Windows for REAPER and online Linux for everything else got blown out.

In less than a couple of months I was using REAPER for Linux exclusively, even though I could still boot Windows as my security blanket.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #19
LCipher

Quote:
In less than a couple of months I was using REAPER for Linux exclusively, even though I could still boot Windows as my security blanket.
Well I may have jumped in too quick w/o enough research lol...

made a boot image with Rufus - ran it on my workshop computer, pretty cool. found everything, just works.

took out the main win10 HD and put in a old 120GB. Figured out how to partition it for boot, swap, root. Installed, works. Has weird message when booting that shows the old win10 boot path and sort of hangs a bit but does boot etc, runs. not sure what is with that, might have done something wrong. anyway... working on a HD now as a test

so lets install something. figured out what "pacman" is so lets run that and I see python is installed. great. so lets install "SPYDER" my fav python editor. I find it in pacman search and install.... takes a LOOOONG TIME does three million things, checks. ok wait.....

Doesn't work, just spins. no spyder. not sure what went wrong... hmmmm, stumped.

OK - lets install REAPER. pacman = nope. download from cockos... ummmm, ok, a tarball. and???? no idea how to install, no idea what I need first,jack,?.... ok this is going to take some research! lol

still pretty neat... just need to know what to even ask before I know WHAT to ask etc.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
OK - lets install REAPER. pacman = nope. download from cockos... ummmm, ok, a tarball. and???? no idea how to install, no idea what I need first,jack,?.... ok this is going to take some research! lol
Click the link to download the REAPER file, and select Open with Engrampa Archive Manager. Extract it into your Downloads folder.

From there, navigate to your Downloads folder in a file browser, right click the reaper_linux_x86_64 folder, and select Terminal.

That will open a terminal window in the reaper_linux_x86_64 folder. Then issue the command,

bash install-reaper.sh

which will ask a few questions to which the answers are,

I
Y
Y

and then you will have REAPER on your multimedia menu.

Also, you don't need JACK. Select ALSA for the audio system and then select your audio device for input and output by clicking the down arrows on the drop down lists.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #21
LCipher

hey thanks - you're one step ahead of me. I did get reaper working (simple: just run the script)

now I was going to ask jack or alsa. now for some more fun.,..
this computer doesnt have an audio interface, just built in realtek so I guess use the pulse audio or?

Edit: its in the ALSA - no problem.

I'll eventually try it on my system with a pci RME9632 card. Hope that works.

Edit: interesting... I have a NUX MG30 and I plugged it into USB. Found the unit as a USB audio device but cant initialize it. Close... so very close.

Last edited by LCipher; 08-01-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #22
s wave

Quote:
You can just make a or add splitter and or mechanical switch or (electric mech switch) or use sata switch? O like cold swapping - remember a switch eliminates the need to physically swap the drives... I leave em both in... and the upside is NO PROBLEMS.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #23
s wave

Just to give you easier path to see what you are doing - why not install PAVU (so you have a GUI for Pulse!) and ALSA MIXER (for alsa GUI) and try Jack - remember there are 2 diff Jacks... use the one that fits best for YOU... then you can always get rid of what you don't need...? https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu...x-pavucontrol/ https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki here is alsa mixer for gnome?
Old 08-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #24
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
You can just make a or add splitter and or mechanical switch or (electric mech switch) or use sata switch? O like cold swapping - remember a switch eliminates the need to physically swap the drives... I leave em both in... and the upside is NO PROBLEMS.
i didnt even know they made sata switchs. will check that out -= thanks
Old 08-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #25
Glennbo

Quote:
Edit: interesting... I have a NUX MG30 and I plugged it into USB. Found the unit as a USB audio device but cant initialize it. Close... so very close.
This person got capturing working, but never got playback with that device going. The playback issue could be similar to what another user running a Chromebook had going on, where some process was grabbing the device making it unavailable to REAPER.

http://blog.nostatic.org/2021/01/nux...der-linux.html

Anyway, if capturing through that device includes the FX, it might be usable without the playback which could instead go to your RME.

Edit: You might check the manufacturer to see if they have a firmware update for that device too.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-02-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #26
LCipher

Quote:
This person got capturing working, but never got playback with that device going. The playback issue could be similar to what another user running a Chromebook had going on, where some process was grabbing the device making it unavailable to REAPER.

http://blog.nostatic.org/2021/01/nux...der-linux.html

Anyway, if capturing through that device includes the FX, it might be usable without the playback which could instead go to your RME.

Edit: You might check the manufacturer to see if they have a firmware update for that device too.
Thanks - I saw that with the MG300. The MG30 (they went UP in capability but down in numbering go figure) is really new. Just had a firmware update but they seem to be pretty quick so maybe eventually. It's actually a really nice guitar FX. And the usb interface in windows (with ASIO) is sub 5ms. And stable. Really amazing. They don't advertise Linux capability but I wouldn't be surprised.

But I'll prob just use my RME in any case. I bought the NUX just to not have to turn on the computer at all!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #27
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks - I saw that with the MG300. The MG30 (they went UP in capability but down in numbering go figure) is really new. Just had a firmware update but they seem to be pretty quick so maybe eventually. It's actually a really nice guitar FX. And the usb interface in windows (with ASIO) is sub 5ms. And stable. Really amazing. They don't advertise Linux capability but I wouldn't be surprised.

But I'll prob just use my RME in any case. I bought the NUX just to not have to turn on the computer at all!
Ahh, I bought a little Flamma amp which is on top of the left speaker in this shot. The Orange amp top on the right speaker is my recording amp that powers a twin twelve speaker cab in the closet with a Sennheiser MD421 mic.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/75/img...205_808039.jpg

I bought the Flamma because it's 100% self contained with programmable FX and 9 or so amp models. Some needed a smartphone to get FX and amp models, and I didn't want that tether.

This guy shows one off pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsy-xAFAr1c

Anyway, I was thinking in terms of using the NUX going into the computer and using the RME for what's coming out, but that requires the computer.

Speaking of guitar things that do require the computer, I also have setup Guitarix for quick jamming. For that I plug my guitar straight into one of the front facing 1/4" jacks on my ADA8200, and load Qjackctl/Guitarix with a hotkey <Super><A> for AMP, and I'm playing the last loaded patch I was using.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #28
LCipher

Quote:
Ahh, I bought a little.
There is just sooo many options now for really good sound. I have the NUX setup sometimes with a 5E3, Deluxe Reverb or Yamaha THR. Or headpones. Or a separate pedal board. Or computer with sims, etc.

I'm liking the linux experience. Its nice to have control of everything, and with so many other options any limitations are not a show stopper.

I know messing with it is prob best - but is there a linux book that really gets into depth that would apply to mangaro and/or all distros?? I like to switch between hands on and study. Sometimes reading a book helps you when you dont even know what to ask or how everything is setup.

Stuff like how the file system is organized, directories, users, command line, terminal, options, etc

nice setup btw! damn is that organized!

Last edited by LCipher; 08-02-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #29
Glennbo

Quote:
There is just sooo many options now for really good sound. I have the NUX setup sometimes with a 5E3, Deluxe Reverb or Yamaha THR. Or headpones. Or a separate pedal board. Or computer with sims, etc.
Yeah, it's pretty incredible what can be done now. I used to be a purist and would only use a mic'd amp for recording, which is still the way I usually do it, but I've used amp sims and even plugged the headphone out off that little Flamma practice amp on a track. Hey, if Frank Zappa can put a Pignose at the end of the hall with various mic's at various distances and use it on a record, why not?

Quote:
I'm liking the linux experience. Its nice to have control of everything, and with so many other options any limitations are not a show stopper.
That it the attitude that will succeed in making Linux work for you. I knew going it that there would probably be some things I would have to change, but it hasn't really been hardly anything.

Quote:
I know messing with it is prob best - but is there a linux book that really gets into depth that would apply to mangaro and/or all distros?? I like to switch between hands on and study. Sometimes reading a book helps you when you dont even know what to ask or how everything is setup.

Stuff like how the file system is organized, directories, users, command line, terminal, options, etc
Mostly just using it will get you up to speed, and when you hit a problem, chances are someone before you either here or elsewhere on the net will have encountered the same thing and found a fix.

Also, when you do seek out the answer to a problem, you'll likely see other stuff in the results that come back that will make the lightbulb go off on other questions you might have. I've gotten sidetracked more than a couple times because I saw something that wasn't what I was looking for, but was relevant to other stuff I was messing with.

Quote:
nice setup btw! damn is that organized!
Tanks Mon! I decided long ago to have everything plugged in, routed and mixed so the moment I have an idea, I can be recording it without any setup before the idea fades. Behind the chair is a full set of acoustic drums, mic'd up and trimmed where they are ready to record NOW! This is the real drums.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/73/img...205_808661.jpg
Old 08-03-2021, 12:36 AM   #30
ivansc

No floor tom?
Old 08-03-2021, 06:02 AM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
No floor tom?
It's behind the smaller remote hihat. You can see the little Sennheiser mic sticking up that's on it. Here's another shot of my room where you can see the floor tom on the bottom left.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/52/img...205_808451.jpg
Old 08-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #32
LCipher

Default MBR vs GPT?

can someone point me to info or tell my what the "correct" was to setup Manjaro (partition wise)? Note this is for Mangaro ONLY on its OWN ssd. Not dual boot etc.

I read and followed this: https://techsphinx.com/linux/install-manjaro-linux/
(MBR)

Then found this (and dont understand some of it)?
https://atanasrusev.com/2020/04/06/h...o-linux-setup/

Is GPT the way to go?

Still early messing around...
Old 08-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #33
4duhwinnn

I have a pclinuxos live dvd. it has a great gui for creating partitons.
Having a separate /home partition can be handy to maintain personal settings
if you reinstall or make major changes to the booting distro. I set aside 10% of drive space as unallocated, in addition to what the SSD maker sets aside.
And don't fill up the drive. Big plugin or sample collection installs sometimes need xyz free contiguous diskspace. I think a 5 gig Native Instruments piano installer needs 10 gig free space to dribble it's files to a myriad of locations.

mi dos centavos para evitar una catástrofe
Old 08-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #34
LCipher

Quote:
I have a pclinuxos live dvd. it has a great gui for creating partitons.
but what type of partition for boot? MBR, GPT? ext4? or fat32?

So create a boot, swap, root, home
Old 08-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #35
Glennbo

Quote:
can someone point me to info or tell my what the "correct" was to setup Manjaro (partition wise)? Note this is for Mangaro ONLY on its OWN ssd. Not dual boot etc.

I read and followed this: https://techsphinx.com/linux/install-manjaro-linux/
(MBR)

Then found this (and dont understand some of it)?
https://atanasrusev.com/2020/04/06/h...o-linux-setup/

Is GPT the way to go?

Still early messing around...
The best way to go is to have un-partitioned space and let the Manjaro installer create the partitions it needs. I tried creating my own partitions initially and was not creating what it wanted, but when I deleted the partitions I had made and ran the installer, it created two partitions that it needed, which are a very small 32 bit EFI partition and a larger EXT4 OS partition.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:23 PM   #36
LCipher

Quote:
The best way to go is to have un-partitioned space and let the Manjaro installer create the partitions it needs. I tried creating my own partitions initially and was not creating what it wanted, but when I deleted the partitions I had made and ran the installer, it created two partitions that it needed, which are a very small 32 bit EFI partition and a larger EXT4 OS partition.
OK I just let it do its thing....seemed to work
stupid question - what are the diff versions of REAPER?
I though Manjaro was "arch" but the "Linux aarch64" is what?
The default seems to be the way to go but confused...

Linux x86_64
REAPER v6.33 - 11MB
Linux x86-64/AMD64 64-bit

Also available: Linux i686 - 11MB
Linux aarch64 - 10MB
Linux armv7l - 9MB

This is one of the things about linux (the diff version) that is really difficult for a new user. And not knowing what is best for my use etc. Manjaro seems popular here but why?
Old 08-07-2021, 04:32 PM   #37
JamesPeters

aarch64 = 64-bit (newer) ARM CPU
armv7l = 32-bit (older) ARM CPU

x86_64 = 64-bit (normal/current) Intel or AMD-based CPU
i686 = 32-bit (older) Intel or AMD-based CPU

Those ARM builds are basically for things like Raspberry Pi at this point. In case you were wondering if you could buy "an ARM-based Linux PC" like the Mac M1.

You saw "arch" in the name of one of those and assumed it was related to the distro's base. That's a coincidence.

Manjaro is popular for the reasons we keep saying on all the threads we talk about it. Having Arch as the base of the distro has some advantages (without going through the hassle/confusion of setting up Arch itself, which is complicated for beginners).

Here's one post that explains about the Arch User Repo aka AUR, which Manjaro has access to (being an Arch variant distro). The AUR is a secondary, non-official repo containing plenty of software as packages which need to be "built", but the package manager will do that for you (and install it); so for any software you'd have to find on Github (etc.), if it's in the AUR, you've just saved yourself some hassle. Not to mention the main official repo is very current and has software lacking in Ubuntu repos. Also Manjaro is as easy to use as most other distros (Manjaro isn't "more complicated to use" than Mint, for instance).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 08-07-2021 at 05:17 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #38
Glennbo

Quote:
OK I just let it do its thing....seemed to work
Cool!

Quote:
stupid question - what are the diff versions of REAPER?
I though Manjaro was "arch" but the "Linux aarch64" is what?
The default seems to be the way to go but confused...

Linux x86_64
REAPER v6.33 - 11MB
Linux x86-64/AMD64 64-bit

Also available: Linux i686 - 11MB
Linux aarch64 - 10MB
Linux armv7l - 9MB

This is one of the things about linux (the diff version) that is really difficult for a new user. And not knowing what is best for my use etc. Manjaro seems popular here but why?
Like James mentioned the one you want is the Linux x86_64 one. The x86_64 indicates that it is using the AMD version of 64 bit.

When we were coming out of the 32 bit world, Intel came up with 64 bit way of doing things that would have broken the mold (the Itanium processor) with no backward compatibility. AMD kicked their ass with a backward compatible 64 bit way of doing things which retained the x86 architecture and is referred to as x86_64.

As for Manjaro being popular, I don't know that it's got that many more users here than various flavors of 'Buntu. I use it because I have real new hardware and Manjaro is closer to the source for getting updated kernels that will detect my brand new hardware properly.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #39
JamesPeters

Manjaro is "popular here" because of the few of us who post most often that use it. I don't think it's more popular than other distros even for Reaper users, on the whole.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #40
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Manjaro is "popular here" because of the few of us who post most often that use it. I don't think it's more popular than other distros even for Reaper users, on the whole.
Thanks - so Mint vs Manjaro vs MX Linux, vs?? There isn't a major difference in running REAPER etc?