Old 07-24-2021, 05:09 AM   #1
shangsean
Human being with feelings

Default Heavy fantasy themed track

I haven't been around much lately but I've been working away in Reaper on this heavy fantasy themed track, as well as a couple of others that are going to form an album.

Let me know what you think... or not.

https://soundcloud.com/user-90240296/mountain-fortress
shangsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:31 PM   #2
ColinJ

Nice and doomy. Like early Paradise Lost, or even their more recent stuff.

The drums are a bit buried, though. But I understand that that is kind of a part of the genre's aesthetic. Not everything needs to sound like Andy Sneap produced it.

Last edited by ColinJ; 07-27-2021 at 11:58 PM.
ColinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
shangsean

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not the biggest Paradise Lost fan but I've heard plenty of their stuff over the years and have owned a couple of their albums. I can see where you are going with the comparison with some of their more plodding, doomy tracks. As for the drums, I'm happy with with their level, but can also acknowledge that in a few sections they could be considered a little buried, maybe the toms? Anyway, thanks again.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
ColinJ

Yeah, the toms do kind of disappear. The low end of the track is a bit crowded.
ColinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
eq1

I like the creativity, instrumentation, song writing, seem fine to me. The mix is...inadequate, though. There really isn't a single center that weaves through the mix.

At one point, over one section, for instance, it's mostly guitar in the foreground, dominating, even though other instrumentation should be popping out at times. And at other times it's 'everything' occupying center stage. The instruments that are featured in terms of song writing, at one time or another, don't get highlighted in terms of mix, at least not enough... It makes for a pretty dull, flat composition, like elevator music or movie music, where the music itself isn't interesting enough to listen to alone... I mean, it is interesting enough, just that the mix doesn't grab the listener and hold on, dragging (carrying) them through from start to end...
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
shangsean

I get where you are coming from. I tinkered with the mix for months and what it is is what I wanted it to sound like. If it's elevator music or background music to some or even most then that's fine. Chuck it on in the background while you're playing Skyrim ... or on headphones while in an elevator.

I really enjoy listening to it and that's very important to me but regardless, your feedback is awesome and much appreciated.