Old 07-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
xpander
Human being with feelings

Default v6.33rc3 - July 21 2021

v6.33rc3 - July 21 2021

+ FX: add option to use OS-default positioning for newly created FX chain/floating FX windows [t=233562]
+ Media explorer: fix inserting section of file when project setting enabled to copy media to project directory [t=252491]
+ Render: fix secondary render sample rate and improve normalization when project sample rate is different from rendered sample rate [t=255785]

This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.
Changelog - Pre-Releases
Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
v6.33rc3 - July 21 2021

+ FX: add option to use OS-default positioning for newly created FX chain/floating FX windows [t=233562]
That's incredible, thank you!

Edit: Doesn't seem to work in Linux (Gnome).

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 07-21-2021 at 05:13 PM.
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
That's incredible, thank you!

Edit: Doesn't seem to work in Linux (Gnome).
Where do the windows get positioned? Gnome might stick them somewhere you don't like... (xfce works as expected, which isn't necessarily ideal but serviceable -- chains get centered, floating windows go upper-left corner)

Last edited by Justin; 07-21-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
dangguidan

V632 bug :There is a serious noise in VSTi real Guitar!
If real GT is loaded and the volume envelope is drawn, obvious noise will appear. After deleting the volume envelope, the noise will disappear.(Other types of envelope also have noise.)
Go back to the previous v631. Everything's OK.
Mp3 demo has been sent to email.
Please fix this problem!
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:11 AM   #5
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Where do the windows get positioned? Gnome might stick them somewhere you don't like... (xfce works as expected, which isn't necessarily ideal but serviceable -- chains get centered, floating windows go upper-left corner)
Both chain and floating fx are opened in the top left corner. (The default OS position is set to center in screen. I did try unchecking it, but it doesn't make a difference)

Old 07-22-2021, 12:51 AM   #6
sonicowl

Thank you. Most appreciated.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:57 AM   #7
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Where do the windows get positioned?
I'm on Win10 here. Does not seem to work as intended as well.

The new floating FX windows does not seem to be affected by this option and behave very much the same. It means the new FX window is opened at the last touched FX window position, just a bit offset.

The option "Modal window positioning" itself does not seem to affect FX windows at all. With the new "OS positioning" option, the windows it does affect are placed at strange places - on the very left edge of the parent window just bellow the title bar. In case of e.g. Metronome settings which is parented to the arrange window, it always shows up over the track panels.

What would be the most comprehensive solution IMO:
- separate options for modal windows and separate options for FX windows
- each having the same settings as currently exist: Last position, Center in current screen, At mouse cursor.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:01 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangguidan View Post
V632 bug :There is a serious noise in VSTi real Guitar!
If real GT is loaded and the volume envelope is drawn, obvious noise will appear. After deleting the volume envelope, the noise will disappear.(Other types of envelope also have noise.)
Go back to the previous v631. Everything's OK.
Mp3 demo has been sent to email.
Please fix this problem!
I'm not able to reproduce this. You are talking about an envelope for the plugin's volume parameter? Can you make a very small project that reproduces the issue?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:27 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
The option "Modal window positioning" itself does not seem to affect FX windows at all.
That is because FX windows are NOT modal. Modal windows steal focus (you cannot click in the background to focus on another window). FX windows are not like that.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #10
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
- each having the same settings as currently exist: Last position, Center in current screen, At mouse cursor.
Yeah, that would be great! I got really excited by the OS-default positioning, but an internal reaper option to "center in screen" would presumably do a much better job, as the OS doesn't really know on which screen I have my fx.

I know this window positioning thing is a can of worms, but if the devs decide to open it, I'd also like to see an option to "Only allow one floating FX window open at a time".

I recently wrote a defer script that does that (while also centering floating fx windows) and it has been surprisingly useful. I barely turn it off. It's awesome that we can now open FX directly through the TCP, but as a side-effect we're now opening tons of floating windows, and they keep piling up.

If anyone wants the script, let me know and I'll upload it to ReaPack.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #11
nvk

Question about the copy imported media into project directory setting.

When I copy media from another project tab, it doesn't import. Is that intentional? I've also noticed that the reascript function InsertMedia doesn't import as well.

Just curious if that is intended behavior
nvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
Triode

Quote:

I know this window positioning thing is a can of worms, but if the devs decide to open it, I'd also like to see an option to "Only allow one floating FX window open at a time".

+1

I'd add that the next floating plugin could open with its top left corner at the same point that the previous plugin's top left corner was. That would be lovely.

Aside: FTC I think I'm using your script already but it doesn't account for plugins on the master. Would be good to pick up a version that does both tracks and master in one.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #13
sonicowl

Tested this a bit and seems to work properly for me. I set FX chain and Floating FX positioning to "OS Default".

New fx open properly on first screen, in top left corner, which is ok.
But would it be possible to have them opened in the middle of the screen?

I would be ok with preferences option to set desired custom OFFSET in pixels, maybe "OS Default with Offset", and input fields to specify horizontal and vertical offset from "OS Default" zero.

In this way each user could specify where he wishes for FX windows to be positioned.

I hope such addition is not too much to ask, especially at this point of prerelease cycle. Thank you.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #14
Pink Wool

Quote:
Yes please!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #15
Coachz

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #16
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
v6.33rc3 - July 21 2021

Ohh! thanks for this, strongly needed since a lot of time.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #17
javiramallo

Quote:
would be nice!
Thx in advanced.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #18
matt_t

At the risk of overstepping the boundaries of this pre (apologies), while you're fixing positioning of floating windows, please could you fix this bug

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=248434

where the *main window* resizes itself(!?!?) when opening project files from Windows Explorer. It happens to me multiple times per day, and is almost driving me crazy. Please?

Last edited by matt_t; 07-22-2021 at 03:05 PM.
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:15 AM   #19
ramses

Another issue with (floating?) Fx. I always have to click in the mcp twice in order to get the fx to Come to the front. Not sure what thats all about, but i dont particularly like it much.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:15 AM   #20
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Modal windows steal focus (you cannot click in the background to focus on another window).
So "modal" is what these pests are called Sometimes they completely disappear for whatever reason and Reaper is totally frozen and has to be force quit as if it crashed. Here I describe the issue with the example of the color window: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=253495 ... hope the devs can do something about that.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:25 AM   #21
krahosk

Quote:
Thank you.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #22
Mercado_Negro

Talking about windows positioning and whatnot... Please consider a global option to keep ALL windows on top of the mixer when it's not docked. In all my years using REAPER I've always wanted to have a full screen mixer but having windows hidden behind when I click on it is incredibly frustrating.

Please!
Old 07-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #23
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I’ve always wanted to have a full screen mixer!
Me too but my reason for letting go of this wish is that I mostly need it sidedocked (like an “inspector”) too, so I have to use screensets. I hope at some point we can have 2 (or more) mixers open so one can always stay fullscreen on secondary monitor.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #24
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
+1

I'd add that the next floating plugin could open with its top left corner at the same point that the previous plugin's top left corner was. That would be lovely.

Aside: FTC I think I'm using your script already but it doesn't account for plugins on the master. Would be good to pick up a version that does both tracks and master in one.
Just created a new thread. It should now work with plugins on master.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #25
juliuskrakow

Also, multi/monitor support for positioning of fx windows would be highly appreciated here. I would love it if I could designate which monitor fx windows open on. The LBX Floating FX Positioner script used to handle this for me but it broke on macOS a while back. A native feature would be awesome.
juliuskrakow is offline   Reply With Quote