Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default Any tricks or tips to installing Linux Sampler?

Thought I might give it a try...I see it has a front and back end process, so I am asking if there are any tips, tricks or gotchas in the installation and use?

Thanks

PS: if there are better alternatives, happy to find out about them
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Thought I might give it a try...I see it has a front and back end process, so I am asking if there are any tips, tricks or gotchas in the installation and use?

Thanks

PS: if there are better alternatives, happy to find out about them
I have it installed and have used the free piano samples you can get from the LinuxSampler site. For loading instruments, I use Qsampler. In REAPER you load LinuxSampler, but it has no front end so it's a black box effect on the track. Then you launch Qsampler and it sees the running instance of LinuxSampler and connects.

After that you can load up sample sets using Qsampler. Playing back projects with LinuxSampler don't require you to also load up Qsampler, unless you are changing instruments again. It seems real stable on my machine. As for better samplers, I use Kontakt more often just because of it's convenient Factory Library.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
pax-eterna

Cool, thanks Glenn....I have Sampletank 4 (from IK) which I think is similar to Kontakt, but that requires wine and I am trying, as you may recall, to stick entirely within the Linux world.

Good to know you have no issues with LS running in Reaper. I'll download the required files now.

I can get it from the AUR, but I see it has the Q Sampler front end..no JSampler - which I like better I think - JSampler is available as a separate search item, IE it does not show in the Linux Sampler search whereas Q Sampler does. Should I read anything into that?
Old 07-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Cool, thanks Glenn....I have Sampletank 4 (from IK) which I think is similar to Kontakt, but that requires wine and I am trying, as you may recall, to stick entirely within the Linux world.

Good to know you have no issues with LS running in Reaper. I'll download the required files now.

I can get it from the AUR, but I see it has the Q Sampler front end..no JSampler - which I like better I think - JSampler is available as a separate search item, IE it does not show in the Linux Sampler search whereas Q Sampler does. Should I read anything into that?
Jsampler is a Java app and doesn't respond to mousewheel on level controls, but other than that, you should be able to load and setup instruments with it. Also, if you haven't you should go to the free instruments page,

https://www.linuxsampler.org/instruments.html

and grab the 932 MB Yamaha CF3 grand piano. It's very well done. The Mellotron is a good one there too.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
pax-eterna

Thanks m8, I'm pretty happy with piantoeq so I'll probs stick with that ...

Cool list, that page will go into bookmarks!

Re the sampler thing, ok good to know I might just stick with the Q Sampler short term then, til I see whats what
Old 07-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
4duhwinnn

Christian Henson, David Hilowitz, Fred Poiriere and the Pianobook community, (an outgrowth of Spitfire Audio, and it's Labs free sounds project) make the DecentSampler a good option, with lots of sounds, not just pianos! and simple interface, with plenty of tutorials. A forum is at

www.pianobook.co.uk

The library tab has 12 categories to narrow your searches, and David supplies an effective google search string in his video. There are sounds in Kontakt, exs24, and Decentsampler's own format, with conversions well underway

Background videos from Christian and David, who is the coder of the oft updated and cross-platform DecentSampler:

https://youtu.be/mrZGIPxPnxw

https://youtu.be/5hUc-8Y2bL0
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
pax-eterna

And is Decent Sampler native linux?
Old 07-25-2021, 07:44 PM   #8
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
The library tab has 12 categories to narrow your searches, and David supplies an effective google search string in his video. There are sounds in Kontakt, exs24, and Decentsampler's own format, with conversions well underway
Also SFZ format, useable in Sfizz. Sfizz is in some official repos, ready to install, and it seems to work fine for me anyway.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #9
pax-eterna

Thanks guys, some nice things there!
Old 07-26-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
audiojunkie

One exceptionally nice thing about LinuxSampler (as well as Sfizz) is that they have Direct From Disk (DFD) functionality. This means that you can easily load and run HUGE sample sets without taking up all of your RAM. I don't know of any other Linux-native sample players that do this. Decent Sampler is new, and I haven't looked into it as far as DFD goes, but I always have found DFD functionality a HUGE plus for me, and one of the main reasons I've always liked LinuxSampler.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #11
pax-eterna

Thanks AJ - yes that woudl be an important capability for me also. Good to know LS can do it!