Old 12-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #441
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Indeed ..vague post.

@OP: Plz post details/examples about what mastering functionality you are missing in Reaper.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #442
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Where does Reaper fall short for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Indeed ..vague post.

@OP: Plz post details/examples about what mastering functionality you are missing in Reaper.

I saw his/her post as a summary of what has been discussed in the dedicated mastering threads on this forum. One example: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=185788
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #443
MRMJP

Quote:
Where does Reaper fall short for that?
I've spent hours on this forum and others explaining this already.

Here is another thread I started that touches on it:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195032

I don't have time to get into it again but I will say there is a growing number of professional mastering engineers who are intrigued by REAPER's capability but realize it's not quite there yet for 100% of the process. It has nothing to do with plugins as some people think mastering stops after the final limiting is applied.

Many mastering engineers like myself use REAPER for the initial processing of the audio via plugins and analog equipment but then use other apps to finish the job.

I believe that even Jon TIdey/REAPER Blog guy uses HOFA for finishing up EP/album mastering projects. I myself use WaveLab because even HOFA is a bit limited in features but version 2 is getting there. WaveLab, Sequoia, SADIE, SoundBlade, Pyramix, and other mastering DAWs exist for a reason.

Unless you have some coding/scripting abilities or maybe just need REAPER for casual mastering a few times a year, I guess it can work for you. but as it sits now, finishing a mastering project in REAPER is as much of a headache as starting one in REAPER is. For engineers that only do mastering when you are doing many projects per week and nothing else, you might start to see the weaknesses.

At this point it doesn't seem like the developers are interested and it would probably take verbal communication to go into great detail as I'm tired of typing about it.

It would be like explaining to somebody who doesn't use MIDI or automation why all these recent improvements to MIDI and automation are so great. It's detailed niche work.

I've spent a lot of time learning REAPER, paying people to make scripts which I'm happy to do, and other tweaking but I'm 100% committed to my claim that finishing mastering projects for most mastering engineers is a headache.

REAPER does so many things really well but not this part of the process.

In order to do it correctly, REAPER would probably need to add some sort of mastering project mode like Studio One or the WaveLab montage.

Also, this article I wrote might shed some light:
http://theproaudiofiles.com/mastering-daw/

It's a couple years old back when I was using a combo Pro Tools and WaveLab to master but the same concept applies to using REAPER and WaveLab which is what I use now.

Last edited by MRMJP; 12-14-2017 at 02:36 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #444
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
I've spent hours on this forum and others explaining this already.

Here is another thread I started that touches on it:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195032

I don't have time to get into it again but I will say there is a growing number of professional mastering engineers who are intrigued by REAPER's capability but realize it's not quite there yet for 100% of the process. It has nothing to do with plugins as some people think mastering stops after the final limiting is applied.

Many mastering engineers like myself use REAPER for the initial processing of the audio via plugins and analog equipment but then use other apps to finish the job.

I believe that even Jon TIdey/REAPER Blog guy uses HOFA for finishing up EP/album mastering projects. I myself use WaveLab because even HOFA is a bit limited in features but version 2 is getting there. WaveLab, Sequoia, SADIE, SoundBlade, Pyramix, and other mastering DAWs exist for a reason.

Unless you have some coding/scripting abilities or maybe just need REAPER for casual mastering a few times a year, I guess it can work for you. but as it sits now, finishing a mastering project in REAPER is as much of a headache as starting one in REAPER is. For engineers that only do mastering when you are doing many projects per week and nothing else, you might start to see the weaknesses.

At this point it doesn't seem like the developers are interested and it would probably take verbal communication to go into great detail as I'm tired of typing about it.

It would be like explaining to somebody who doesn't use MIDI or automation why all these recent improvements to MIDI and automation are so great. It's detailed niche work.

I've spent a lot of time learning REAPER, paying people to make scripts which I'm happy to do, and other tweaking but I'm 100% committed to my claim that finishing mastering projects for most mastering engineers is a headache.

REAPER does so many things really well but not this part of the process.

In order to do it correctly, REAPER would probably need to add some sort of mastering project mode like Studio One or the WaveLab montage.

Also, this article I wrote might shed some light:
http://theproaudiofiles.com/mastering-daw/

It's a couple years old back when I was using a combo Pro Tools and WaveLab to master but the same concept applies to using REAPER and WaveLab which is what I use now.
Ya, I see what you mean. Really what you want is certain details for finalizing. Which I get is what mastering is, but it's really in the sort of render process that your gripes appear to be, and I get that.

I have been wishing for things like metadata for a while. But a lot of the other things that bother you, I understand would be a pain for someone like you, but I don't have any use for those at this point, personally.

I do wonder how close you could get with some nifty workarounds. I'm not your guy for that though. But if you make specific single requests for accomplish specific tasks, you'd be surprised how often people will have workable solutions for you.

But, obviously reaper will still fall short at times, and there's not much you can do about that. like metadata.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #445
MRMJP

Quote:
Ya, I see what you mean. Really what you want is certain details for finalizing. Which I get is what mastering is, but it's really in the sort of render process that your gripes appear to be, and I get that.

I have been wishing for things like metadata for a while. But a lot of the other things that bother you, I understand would be a pain for someone like you, but I don't have any use for those at this point, personally.

I do wonder how close you could get with some nifty workarounds. I'm not your guy for that though. But if you make specific single requests for accomplish specific tasks, you'd be surprised how often people will have workable solutions for you.

But, obviously reaper will still fall short at times, and there's not much you can do about that. like metadata.
Yeah, it's really a bunch of detailed mastering focused stuff that is not relevant to mixing and production which is REAPER's main focus.

Lack of metadata is a big factor but not the only one. What's great about WaveLab is that I can enter in all the project info once (Artist Name, Album Title, Track Titles, ISRC codes, artwork, etc.) and this info is pushed to CD-Text as well as ID3v2 metadata when WAV, AAC, or mp3 files are rendered.

I really feel that I've taken REAPER as far I can in the mastering realm with plenty of custom scripts and workarounds for all the little things I need to do when it comes to the actual audio processing.

I can't say I'd want to trust the final detail work to scripts that could break at any moment. I'd prefer to use an app that was natively built to do the tasks at hand.

That being said, I have no real issue using REAPER and WaveLab as a team but I know some people would prefer to use just one app and I wanted to point out to the REAPER developers and community how close REAPER is to being a seriously great all-in-one mastering DAW but not everybody is going to put in the time that myself and others have to get REAPER to work well for just part of the mastering process.

The way to do it would be to add an additional mode that shifts it to a mastering focus like Studio One. The main processing can be done in REAPER as is, and the mastering mode can do all this stuff I'm referring to.

Aside from all this, a great mastering DAW needs excelling built-in metering rather than relying on 3rd party plugins in the Monitor FX section, some of which do not always reset on playback which can create invalid LUFS readings. The built-in metering of WaveLab is something to shoot for.

I know that some of the stuff I mention here could be possible but some of it is just not hence the demand for a serious effort for REAPER to appeal to professional mastering engineers that do this 24/7.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:45 AM   #446
Gass n Klang

Quote:
I can't say I'd want to trust the final detail work to scripts that could break at any moment. I'd prefer to use an app that was natively built to do the tasks at hand.
That's why I use wavelab when it comes to finalizing a CD for the pressin plan. This step must be dead sure not least because of the financial risk.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #447
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
That's why I use wavelab when it comes to finalizing a CD for the pressin plan. This step must be dead sure not least because of the financial risk.
Yes, same here. WaveLab is well designed for this process. I've taken REAPER as far as I can with custom scripts and things for the basic audio processing, but it just fundamentally falls short to be considered a true pro mastering DAW unless you're just slapping things together or have a higher than average background in coding/scripting.

For me I just play it safe and use WaveLab for the final steps but REAPER, with a little effort to add native solutions, could be a great mastering option for other mastering professionals, but I know Cockos isn't a profit driven company like most audio software companies.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 AM   #448
mschnell

If there in fact is a satisfying solution and there only is a rather small count of reaper users who in fact a in a position to need same, why do you think it should be integrated in Reaper, in fact just reduplicating the toolset for the work at hand ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #449
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
If there in fact is a satisfying solution and there only is a rather small count of reaper users who in fact a in a position to need same, why do you think it should be integrated in Reaper, in fact just reduplicating the toolset for the work at hand ?

-Michael
Well, I think there are a larger number of users that prefer to use just one app like Sequoia, Pyramix, WaveLab etc. and don't have the patience for two apps like some of us do.

I also think that some people using REAPER already for mastering don't know what they're really missing and how much better it could be in this area.

I just wanted to make the developers aware that just adding DDP support to what was originally a multitrack recording/production DAW doesn't make it a great mastering DAW.

I only bring all this up because it's so close to being great but yet so far off that many switch to another app to finish projects.

It's not a demand but just a suggestion if they want to expand their user base even more.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #450
mschnell

Of course I do see the viability of this argument, but as long as there are other open requests of a similar complexity that seem to be important for a much larger group of users (e.g. ARA and Articulation mapping), I suppose it would have to wait.

-Michael
Old 12-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #451
Sound asleep

Quote:
Yeah, it's really a bunch of detailed mastering focused stuff that is not relevant to mixing and production which is REAPER's main focus.

Lack of metadata is a big factor but not the only one. What's great about WaveLab is that I can enter in all the project info once (Artist Name, Album Title, Track Titles, ISRC codes, artwork, etc.) and this info is pushed to CD-Text as well as ID3v2 metadata when WAV, AAC, or mp3 files are rendered.

I really feel that I've taken REAPER as far I can in the mastering realm with plenty of custom scripts and workarounds for all the little things I need to do when it comes to the actual audio processing.

That being said, I have no real issue using REAPER and WaveLab as a team but I know some people would prefer to use just one app and I wanted to point out to the REAPER developers and community how close REAPER is to being a seriously great all-in-one mastering DAW but not everybody is going to put in the time that myself and others have to get REAPER to work well for just part of the mastering process.

The way to do it would be to add an additional mode that shifts it to a mastering focus like Studio One. The main processing can be done in REAPER as is, and the mastering mode can do all this stuff I'm referring to.

Aside from all this, a great mastering DAW needs excelling built-in metering rather than relying on 3rd party plugins in the Monitor FX section, some of which do not always reset on playback which can create invalid LUFS readings. The built-in metering of WaveLab is something to shoot for.

I know that some of the stuff I mention here could be possible but some of it is just not hence the demand for a serious effort for REAPER to appeal to professional mastering engineers that do this 24/7.
I would not be surprised if LUFS metering would be something they add in V6, or potentially before then, idk.

But ya, I see what you mean now. Unfortunately, I don't imagine you will get most of those. Especially the CD stuff, since they are kind of dying. Also, some of those things are really for people that need something professional for mastering, covering all the bases for all mediums etcetera, whereas like you said reaper is more aimed at production, which has a large demographic of users, and it is definitely adequate for finishing for what your average user would need.

I don't think there would be a huge amount of profit in it for cockos to deliver there. It's probably a lot more work than you'd think, or idk, maybe you know better than me for that, but I always find that programming is way more work than you think. And it's not like cockos is a big team, so they would spend a lot of time working on these instead of something else, and they'd have to get it all done to a high degree of quality, because it is really aimed at getting professionals to change their current workflow. Also, for people like you that already use reaper, that wouldn't be an extra sale. It would need to bring people away from whatever else they are using for both tasks, and professional people with deadlines aren't usually too excited to learn new software, because that time is money, so you would need an extra incentive there I think. And reaper is a kind of tinkerer of a DAW, so if you need stuff like that because you're a pro and you want to churn out everything you need quickly and dependably, then you probably don't want to spend much time customizing reaper to your workflow. So, idk, I don't imagine this would represent a very lucrative opportunity for cockos, personally. And on top of that, a lot of people would be bummed that there are all of these features they probably would never use, instead of a number of features they were really hoping for for a long time.

But, I do get where you're coming from now. I agree reaper could be better that way, but realistically, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. For most of it anyway, not to the degree you would need to quit wavelab.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 12-15-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #452
MRMJP

Quote:
I would not be surprised if LUFS metering would be something they add in V6, or potentially before then, idk.

But ya, I see what you mean now. Unfortunately, I don't imagine you will get most of those. Especially the CD stuff, since they are kind of dying. Also, some of those things are really for people that need something professional for mastering, covering all the bases for all mediums etcetera, whereas like you said reaper is more aimed at production, which has a large demographic of users, and it is definitely adequate for finishing for what your average user would need.

But thanks, I get where you're coming from now.
I was also reminded of this thread that covers it well and is more than just me
Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #453
citizenkeith

There is a Feature Request already for a dedicated Mastering View/Suite:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1926168

I urge users wanting a better DDP solution to post there.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #454
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
There is a Feature Request already for a dedicated Mastering View/Suite:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1926168

I urge users wanting a better DDP solution to post there.
Yeah, better DDP implementation is one aspect but an all around more mastering friendly workflow with native solutions certainly has potential to attract a ton of new users.

Most mastering DAWs are PC only so having a Mac/PC option adds another level of interest.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #455
endorka

Quote:
Good metadata support would be useful to and appreciated by these as well though? I imagine most people like to tag their files with artist, genre, title, composer etc. It's applicable to downloads as well.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 12-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #456
DeathByGuitar

I would really like to see an improved video processor plugin. After all 5.20 introduced new video API features that VST's can access but nothing so far has been made. I think if such a thing implemented all of John Tidey's presets (better color correction, rule of thirds grid, ect) and put it into a less clunky, easier to use package that would really do wonders for video editing in Reaper I think.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #457
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
Good metadata support would be useful to and appreciated by these as well though? I imagine most people like to tag their files with artist, genre, title, composer etc. It's applicable to downloads as well.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Yes, absolutely. I have made that feature request myself actually.

The point I was making is that for someone like OP to make a switch to reaper from their professional mastering software, they would need ALL those features perfectly polished and ready to go.

Obviously, some of those might be useful for more people and might get implemented, or maybe not, but either way, that won't get them where they want to be.

I personally hope to see metadata get added to reaper, I think that would be great. I would love to be able to set defaults as well. For me, it would be nice if every render I do has the metadata for my artist name attached to it.

I don't know how easy something like that is, or how likely it is cockos would do it, but I agree, that would be a feature that would affect a larger number of people than some of the other ones.

But if it, or one or two other little things get added to reaper, that still won't be enough for people like OP. And I think he'd agree with that.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #458
Bob Headroom

How far off do people think Reaper 6 is??? Or is that impossible to answer? Sorry if it has already been asked in the previous pages...
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #459
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
How far off do people think Reaper 6 is???
IMHO, this is perfectly irrelevant.

5.x is top notch, anyway and will get improved as appropriate.
With 6.x to come, I just will happily spend another € 60.

-Michael
Old 12-16-2017, 03:21 AM   #460
Vagalume

Hi strachupl, I almost destroyed my ears doing tests.
I am not able to do get it done, can you attach a tiny example template?

If I got it work I would save hundreds of tracks in my orchestral template ...

@edit2
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Vagalume; 12-16-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:00 AM   #461
Colox

Quote:
How far off do people think Reaper 6 is???
It's about 0.3 version-subdivisions off at this point.
But who cares? How far off is Reaper v16? I mean .. come on .. *shrug*
Old 12-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #462
Jimmy James

I would like to see something new. I would like to open a vst plugin, and be able to draw on the plugin, like ms paint.
I would also like to make a note on a plugin. Or even have a post it to use in session.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #463
citizenkeith

Quote:
How far off do people think Reaper 6 is??? Or is that impossible to answer? Sorry if it has already been asked in the previous pages...
Without official word from Cockos, it's impossible to answer.

Version 4.78, the last iteration of version 4, was released May 4, 2015. Version 5.0 came out August 12 of that year.

That's not to say that they will end 5.0 at 5.78. That's up to Cockos.

All previous versions:
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php
Old 12-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #464
Sound asleep

Just thought of another good one, imo:

Smaller/smoother increments in navigating the mixer, and for the selected track(s) to always be in the center of the screen when you call up the mixer.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #465
Glennbo

Two I can think of since I'm working on a project in the background...

Wider scale on ReaEQ's graph display, like +/- 24db.

And more Easter Eggs!!!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #466
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
And more Easter Eggs!!!
Ah, you do know the release date, you !
- Old Bunny
Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 AM   #467
Javier Robledo

Default Big Great Panel

Hi ¡¡¡

First of all I love Reaper, the comunity and all around it.

4 Years working full with music, spanish langpack, tutorials, ... and that´s all I can say ¡¡¡

For Reaper 6 ... not shure if prefer to be surpraised as always ¡¡ XDXDXD

Anyway there are a lot of really good ideas here and in Fr Thread.

I dont´t know how to do it but would be wonderfull to have Thread joining FR and this one wiht a big list of wishes for R6,

This way commnet wouldn't be repeated and also will be easier to check the most popular FR Desired.

Something in 4 columns like ...

FR Name - User Votes - Quick Explanation - ( FR Thread link )

The same way that is already done in some FR but listed ¡¡

What do you think ??

Cheers ¡¡¡¡
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #468
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Quote:
And more Easter Eggs!!!
Ah, you do know the release date, you !
- Old Bunny
Nah, I'm just getting tired of Tetris and Pong. Maybe we could have "Doom" as the Easter Egg on the "About" screen. I mean, Doom - Reaper, they almost go together.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #469
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Hi strachupl, I almost destroyed my ears doing tests.
I am not able to do get it done, can you attach a tiny example template?

If I got it work I would save hundreds of tracks in my orchestral template ...

@edit2
Here is a template with some midi which I done during making template and testing.
You can learn from template how to build more instrument tracks but it is quite complicated.
I made only 2 sections/folders with 3 instr each and 1 master out. You can use also chan 1-2 for routing now as there is separate monitor out track. Sampler track (kontakt) is used only as midi receiver and audio sender, master send disabled. Also sampler track must be above all other templates tracks, otherwise don't work.You can also use CC in folder tracks but only when there is none CCs in individual instruments tracks on same time so for example you can draw CC in folder for measure 1, and then for individual instruments in next measure so they will no overlap.
Remember to enable feedback routing in project settings.
Attached Files
File Type: rtracktemplate Template orchestral routing.RTrackTemplate (125.6 KB, 115 views)
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #470
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Here is a template with some midi which I done during making template and testing.
You can learn from template how to build more instrument tracks but it is quite complicated.
I made only 2 sections/folders with 3 instr each and 1 master out. You can use also chan 1-2 for routing now as there is separate monitor out track. Sampler track (kontakt) is used only as midi receiver and audio sender, master send disabled. Also sampler track must be above all other templates tracks, otherwise don't work.You can also use CC in folder tracks but only when there is none CCs in individual instruments tracks on same time so for example you can draw CC in folder for measure 1, and then for individual instruments in next measure so they will no overlap.
Perfect, I am looking forward to testing it at home tomorrow.

I really appreciate your help.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #471
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
beside .svg support, zoomable interface, zoom in or out as much as you want, might be handy for touch/pen displays. No matter how small the buttons are you could always do some pre/post zooming after each action.
But ok, there is ZoomIt, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...wnloads/zoomit
Yep, except Zoomit is static. Dynamic zoom, esp on the mixer.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:19 AM   #472
sickamorz
Banned

I have mixed feelings about version 6, I will have to see what is delivered before I have an opinion.

I bought my Reaper license when Reaper 4.78 was the current version. Since the license is suppose to be good for two versions, so does that mean I'm good till 6.78?

Last edited by sickamorz; 12-20-2017 at 04:16 AM.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #473
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
I have mixed feelings about version 6, I will have to see what is delivered before I have an opinion.
Cockos could stop sort of in between version Five and Six, so next version might be called version Fix, or Sive.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #474
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post

I bought my Reaper license when Reaper 4.78 was the current version. Since the license is suppose to be good for two versions, so does that mean I'm good till 6.78?
You are good for v4 and v5, when v6 comes out you'll need a new license.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #475
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
It is impossible to answer.

REAPER doesn't create dates that they have to meet to appease stock holders or to go with their marketing team.

They'll most likely decide what they want REAPER 6 to be as far as updated features and a new theme etc.

Then they have to implement it and make sure it works flawlessly.

Unlike other companies, they don't like to release buggy software to get their numbers up.

Which means it will be available when it's ready.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #476
Kypresso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I would also like to make a note on a plugin. Or even have a post it to use in session.
Have you seen this?
http://codefn42.com/vstnotepad/index.html
Kypresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #477
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
You are good for v4 and v5, when v6 comes out you'll need a new license.

I guess I will have to get new license or I will be without any DAW like cakewalk customers.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #478
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Thanks for taking the time to make that. Is there a significant downside to doing something like that in your project? Does feedback routing have major negative side effects in some instances?

I think I may have done something like this before and saved it as a template, and maybe that's what I remember slowed my projects to a crawl very easily.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #479
Colox

Quote:
How far off do people think Reaper 6 is??? Or is that impossible to answer?
To be real for a moment, not that I got any inside info, but historically Cockos appears to just do improvement after improvement in a linear fashion, just going along a straight line. Every time they have made a dozen or two dozen improvements and bug-fixes, they release an updated version with a higher version number. 5.20, 5.21, 5.22, 5.23 etc. When the subdivision version indicators reaches 5.99, to where it seems logical that the next update package will be labeled version 6, then that counter will turn to version 6. But things continues on in the same fashion as before.

That is the basic way they seem to be doing it. However, Cockos also seem to make and 'save' a number or fairly significant updates/changes for Reaper, and release those into the update that coincides with when the versioncounter goes past the next big number. That way a new version appears to have more changes to it than a regular update package.

As others have said, Cockos doesn't usually wait until literally v5.99 until going over to version 6. I don't know what 'system' they got for labeling a new version into the version number that it finally gets - or if they have a system for it. Each version update isn't necessarily a direct update of the former number. Version 5.11 isn't necessarily followed by version 5.12. It might just as well be 5.19, or 5.33. So we can't really tell at what point in order Cockos will abandon the version five span, and make the jump into begin counting versions with an initiating 6 instead of 5. Last time Cockos jumped from .. I believe it was v4.78 onto version 5.0(?)

When this jump is closer to happening, there are usually some 'whispers in the wind' among initiated users and around on the forum. That is how it appears to me from my level of information clearance anyway. How it seems to others may depend on how direct your line is, to 'the royals'.

To me, as for some others, a change of version is a time of both excitement and horror. Because God knows what those asswhipping Llamas at Cockos has decided to do with Reaper, the tool some people make their living and daily bread from. Whatever update they did, often means days of work to figure out and adapt to, as quickly as possible, to be able to work like before without interruption in production pace, moneyflow and confidence from others. But it's also a time of excitement, of whatever new things may develop into a better more time- and mindsaving work methods, and what new dimensions it might introduce to your feeling about doing sound and music.

With Reaper, is it us customers that has to panic-adapt to the tool, more than the other way around anyway. When Justin hired that voiceactor, long ago, I'd bet he was referring to us customers. We're the Llamas in that analogy. Reaper isn't a DAW that blindly seeks to suck up to 'the Llamas' (customers). Instead, Reaper really whips the Llama's ass!
MÂÂH!!

Last edited by Colox; 12-21-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #480
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
To be real for a moment, not that I got any inside info, but historically Cockos appears to just do improvement after improvement in a linear fashion, just going along a straight line. Every time they have made a dozen or two dozen improvements and bug-fixes, they release an updated version with a higher version number. 5.20, 5.21, 5.22, 5.23 etc. When the subdivision version indicators reaches 5.99, to where it seems logical that the next update package will be labeled version 6, then that counter will turn to version 6. But things continues on in the same fashion as before.

That is the basic way they seem to be doing it. However, Cockos also seem to make and 'save' a number or fairly significant updates/changes for Reaper, and release those into the update that coincides with when the versioncounter goes past the next big number. That way a new version appears to have more changes to it than a regular update package.

As others have said, Cockos doesn't usually wait until literally v5.99 until going over to version 6. I don't know what 'system' they got for labeling a new version into the version number that it finally gets - or if they have a system for it. Each version update isn't necessarily a direct update of the former number. Version 5.11 isn't necessarily followed by version 5.12. It might just as well be 5.19, or 5.33. So we can't really tell at what point in order Cockos will abandon the version five span, and make the jump into begin counting versions with an initiating 6 instead of 5. Last time Cockos jumped from .. I believe it was v4.78 onto version 5.0(?)

When this jump is closer to happening, there are usually some 'whispers in the wind' among initiated users and around on the forum. That is how it appears to me from my level of information clearance anyway. How it seems to others may depend on how direct your line is, to 'the royals'.

To me, as for some others, a change of version is a time of both excitement and horror. Because God knows what those asswhipping Llamas at Cockos has decided to do with Reaper, the tool some people make their living and daily bread from. Whatever update they did, often means days of work to figure out and adapt to, as quickly as possible, to be able to work like before without interruption in production pace, moneyflow and confidence from others. But it's also a time of excitement, of whatever new things may develop into a better more time- and mindsaving work methods, and what new dimensions it might introduce to your feeling about doing sound and music.

With Reaper, is it us customers that has to panic-adapt to the tool, more than the other way around anyway. When Justin hired that voiceactor, long ago, I'd bet he was referring to us customers. We're the Llamas in that analogy. Reaper isn't a DAW that blindly seeks to suck up to 'the Llamas' (customers). Instead, Reaper really whips the Llama's ass!
MÂÂH!!
I think it's just depending how big the update is. Sometimes they might switch the counter to a number that has some kind of meaning, but usually it would be larger updates go with larger numbers. If it's really small, a few bug fixes on a recent release for example, then they'd get x.x1 increase. if it's a standard update, then they would go x.1x increase, and the large updates are a full number increase.

They won't necessarily have 9 regular updates before their next major update of 6.

really the numbers don't matter, but they just need to make sure they don't run out of numbers until they are ready for 6.0, and maybe that's the only strict rule they ever really follow.

That seems to be the way it has been afaict, but I haven't really been studying it that hard either.