Old 12-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
sickpunk
Human being with feelings

Default Trying to select.

I want to do a small punch in on a guitar part and when I try to select the small section the cursor won't let me select it. I get a pointed cross icon. I'm left clicking and dragging. I can't high light the section I want to fix.

Last edited by sickpunk; 12-17-2014 at 08:49 PM.
sickpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Fergler

That's because that moves the item. If you want to edit the audio you need to create splits (S key).

And then add your vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=122
Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Pickasso

Have you tried clicking on the snap icon? Changing it to 'Snap Disabled' allows selections in between grid lines, so increments less than 1 beat, or whatever your settings are.

Another simple technique I use (alternate to punching in):
Record on another track, start playing the part/riff a little before the mistake. Right click/drag/shorten the original track to before the mistake.
Drag the new recording into place, done. Depending on where you make your starting/end points, it's indistinguishable.

Good luck!
Pickasso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
sickpunk

I'm trying to do Non-Destructive Punch Recording and the manual says to click and drag over the section you want to re-record. Seems simple enough but I can't. What am I missing? It actually starts recording from where the play cursor is too.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Jeffsounds

Right click on the transport bar record button and choose:

Record Mode: Time Selection Auto Punch
Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
Fergler

Non destructive? Just set the edit marker and hit record. It will record as takes.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
ivansc

Cant believe it is so long ago that I voted for this, Fergler.
Ah well......
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
sickpunk

I set the time markers and select Time Selection Auto Punch but it starts recording from where the play cursor is, not in the time selected area. I'm following the instructions in the manual. Using Reaper 4.75, Windows 7. Do I need the SWS Extension plug-in?
Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
xpander

You mention "time selected area". Do you have loop points linked to time selection, it's in the Options menu? If you don't and you happen to have set both the loop markers and the time selection in to different areas, Reaper may record starting from the play cursor..even while you have selected Record mode: Time selection auto punch.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
sickpunk

The manual says to disable Loop points linked to time selection, so that's how I have it.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
xpander

True and that's the way to make one pass recording over the time selection, rather than looping over it and getting several takes. My previous answer was really about a corner case, sorry about that. But since you do have the time selection and loop points separate, are you sure you are actually making a time selection where you want to punch in, rather than a loop?

Also, did you let the cursor to actually go over the time selected area before stopping the recording for some reason? If you stop the recording before that, you will still get presented with an option to save the recording, but that will be starting from the original cursor position.

Last edited by xpander; 12-18-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
sickpunk

It's weird. I can't click and drag over the area I want to select to re-record over like the manual says to do. It doesn't highlight the section. I have to select the area at the top by the ruler, but it just shows the marked area at the top in white blocks. I've watched videos on YouTube where the person just clicks and highlights the section they want to fix and it is so easy. I'm doing the same thing they are and also what is said in the Reaper manual. Frustrating.

I did let the cursor go over the time selected area before stopping the recording. Maybe I'm not making a time selection correctly. This can't be this hard.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
xpander

Yep, if you do it over the ruler, you are probably making a loop. Try dragging over an empty area in the actual arrange area. You could also do it over the items, but it all depends also on your mouse modifier settings. I couldn't stand the Reaper default of right dragging the time selections, so I changed it to left. Funnily enough, I'm fine with it in MIDI editor.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
sickpunk

It says to click in the track where you want to record over. Do you not click in the actual track? I'm at work so I can't try it just yet. Thanks for helping.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
xpander

Once you have done the recording settings, including arming the given track, you already have that track selected and it's ready to go. Clicking on the empty arrange area by that track also selects it, as will clicking the actual item on that track. I guess clicking on the specific item may help focusing to that item alone, but as the track is ready to record, it will record regardless. Going by the manual should be one sure way to get it going, so you might as well follow that.