Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #41
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Forgot to answer the second part:

I never spent enough time on guitar rig to get a sound I was happy with. On AMplitube, I really like that product for its FX and portability. When it comes to preamp and head design, I don't think Amplitube can come close to head case.

My real comparison is with revalver. There are some things revalver does better than head case right now, like the internal vst host module, and the ability to load multiple heads. There are a lot of things head case does better than revalver, beginning with not freezing reaper during autosaves, and the general versatility
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #42
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Forgot to answer the second part:

I never spent enough time on guitar rig to get a sound I was happy with. On AMplitube, I really like that product for its FX and portability. When it comes to preamp and head design, I don't think Amplitube can come close to head case.

My real comparison is with revalver. There are some things revalver does better than head case right now, like the internal vst host module, and the ability to load multiple heads. There are a lot of things head case does better than revalver, beginning with not freezing reaper during autosaves, and the general versatility
Trying the demo and seems the seperate vst's loner, cabs and fx etc, solve most of the above.

I'm liking the cab section, without touching the amp dials you can brighten, darken, make fat make roomy etc etc.

Me and electric are only now better acquainted and learnt that my fingers, pickup select, tone knobs and vol control give you a world of sounds using just one head left untouched.
I didn't get that memo.. Better late than never.

Sounding good so far, no doubt dropping the cash soon. Nice to see it a reality. :-)
BenK-msx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #43
Steve36

I've managed to play with this a bit...it feels really nice...you should be proud of yourself Ken...Awesome work...

Steve

P.S. It sounds great too.
Steve36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Good comparison. ReValver is on par with complexity of HeadCase I'd say.

I'll just mention a few more things that I think are very vital, which ReValver does better: it's 64-bit, preset switching is A LOT faster, and there's MIDI learn of anything (sorely lacking in HC, or at least I can't find it).

Oh, and I don't get that freeze with ReValver.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #45
JohnnyMcFly

Well I guess its a good sign when version 1.x of a software compares with Version 3.x of another.,.. no.. ?

Just a few points about complexity and some other things I want to mention...
This is not a bash by any means, but there is complexities and challenges we have overcome that are not well represented in this conversation. This may come across as tooting our own horn so to speak, sorry about that, but I just want to point this stuff out.

Case in point, we complain about the presets loading slower than other software, but there is no mention of the three full cabinet interfaces that all have to load values, and that every single component in the head is editable and must be loaded. Where we are loading values in from file, other suites are using constant values that are compiled in the dll.

Other guitar suite software know what its heads are made of because they are built in. Questions like how many tubes, What knobs are in the tonestack, and where is it located in the signal path? Those questions are all pre-answered. Head Case knows none of that, in fact it does not even know what the curves are going to look like because you can make them yourself. The head could literally be anything... Thats a complexity that was not mentioned, and even saying it like that does not do it justice. Think of the type of constraints one must include to handle all the potential problems of allowing a user, any user, to design a head by ear...How many times do you think all we heard was pop before we got it right and had the proper constraints in place. haha

Thats the head, now lets look at some features. We could talk about the complexities and challenges in each of these as well, but we'll save that for another time.

-Modelled cabs
-iFace Supports all 300,000+ Redwirez cab files in its own native interface
-The mimic modual in its cabs
-Package heads in a JPEG image and distribute them
-Draw your own Curves(tubes)
-Download new heads live from the web and install them
-Supports an Apps interface (HTA)
-Supports scripting
-BUC the Head Case Script preprocessor with 1,200 commands
-Each component is available as a stand alone VST
-Share presets between all of the components
-100% portable and capable of running on a USB stick
-Can completely skin your head?
-Anyone can build a head, no need to know anything about electronics

There are more items I can mention as well, and I am not trying to bash RV or any other software, As I've said a gazillion times in the past, they are all good and have their place in any tool box. However, the point is, Head case is a different software and one to one comparison is barely possible in my opinion(especially in term,s of complexities). They are just so different in the approach and features. Apart from comparing things like the effects, and perhaps overall tone, I don't think any other comparison is really possible.

Yes HC is only 32 bit.. that won't be forever.
No MAC version.. I don't know what will happen with this in the future
No RTAS Version.. there never will be either, maybe AAX.. ?

MIDI Learn..
We had a midi learn version in 1.52(I think, maybe 1.53?), but the vote was to get rid of it because it was not needed? Everyone said they use their daw for that. So any time I get the excuse to remove a function because its redundant, I do. As you can see, head case is complex enough without adding things that is already handled by other software. The other software you are already running anyways (the daw). So, unless I'm missing something?
Is it the number of parameters that you can automate thats the problem? (1,500 or something?) I can see that being confusing, and as such would warrant a midi learn for that reason. However, the good news is we are going to try and do something with this anyways and lower the number of automateable parameters. Before we do that though we want to see what parameters are actually automated. Right now you can automate everything from the gain section cuts to the poweramp drive. I'd hate to remove something people want..

So, is that a miss, or was it a company listening to their users?

Last edited by JohnnyMcFly; 12-13-2012 at 07:59 PM.
JohnnyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #46
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36 View Post
I've managed to play with this a bit...it feels really nice...you should be proud of yourself Ken...Awesome work...

Steve

P.S. It sounds great too.
Thanks Steve, we are very proud and happy to have stuck it..
Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #47
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
Is it the number of parameters that you can automate thats the problem? (1,500 or something?) I can see that being confusing, and as such would warrant a midi learn for that reason. However, the good news is we are going to try and do something with this anyways and lower the number of automateable parameters. Before we do that though we want to see what parameters are actually automated. Right now you can automate everything from the gain section cuts to the poweramp drive. I'd hate to remove something people want..

So, is that a miss, or was it a company listening to their users?

That would be cool, Ken, indeed. Along with some sort of live mode (see Overloud or Guitar Rig, for example), HC would be even better. But live mode will necessitate MUCH faster preset changes than what's currently happening in HC.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #48
JohnnyMcFly

I'm not sure where we're going with the live version, or even if there will be one. I know one thing for sure, there are some things that no one is doing with their live software that absolutely should be done.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #49
carbon

MIDI control would be essential, but at these switching speeds it doesn't really matter to me.
Have to stick with Amplitube for "live" use/improvising.

Got some nice sounds out of it though, so perhaps in the future...

In the mean time it still works for recording pre-composed stuff.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #50
JohnnyMcFly

Guys.. I'm just going to think out loud here.. Actually this is something we spoke briefly about a while ago here at ABG...

Just like any software business, we are no different, you're always looking for some sort of additional/alternative revenue stream. The problem with us is a lot of them don't fit into our ethics side of things.
This one did though..So, I wanna see what your thoughts are on this..

The idea crossed the table here of a custom compilation service for head case. You design your suite the way you want it with the heads you want, and we compile it into a stand alone VST for you. Now the reason I bring this up is that we could then do away with the "decision making" that head case does when loading a head. In other words, it should run very similar to a normal suite that does not design its own heads. I'm not sure it will be instantaneous, but head switching will be fast for sure. Thats what is taking most of the time now. There is over 500 parameters to be loaded..

What would be a fair price to charge per head?
No one is going to become a millionaire off this, but it does have to make sense financially. This is hands on custom work at about 1-1/2 hours per head..

Anyways, this might be a way of offering something new and addressing an issue at the same time. I also think it will be cool when the stomp (stomp modder) and stereo effects editors get released. That would make the whole suite your own design.

Last edited by JohnnyMcFly; 12-14-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #51
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Who's the ballsiest guru around here who wants to port this thing to iplug?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #52
Breeder

Yeah, live usage sucks. HOWEVER, you can always use live configs in SWS I REALLY like the sound of headcase so I want to incorporate it for live use, and life configs seems the key!

Btw, what heads would you recommend for clean sounds? Are there any pearls out there I still haven't found out?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #53
Stickman

Default Clean heads

Breeder, you can try Quarter or Akoustik, which is on Virtual Amp Stash. Sorry, I can't think of any more right now.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #54
JohnnyMcFly

There was someone on KVR That posted he found a clean sound he really liked..

Quote:
First amp I downloaded from the Virtual Amp Stash was the Cupernicus Vintage Mint and voila: lovely rich clean sounds.
A. W. Bullington
There was that southern Head that was capable of some really nice cleans too... Man I have to get to building Honken again..
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #55
Stickman

Default Yeah, Honken!

Dude I wish you would put Honken out! That one and Quarter were my favorites.

Ah yes, the Southern Style head, I need to work on that one some more, it wasn't quite what I wanted, but close.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #56
silar

Anyone ever thought of this for live use? Having 2 or more instances of Headcase running, each with your amp and cab of choice, then through midi, just toggle each on and off to switch sounds within Reaper? I know It's a bit resource intensive for 1 instance (I'm showing around 8%), but I'd think you could run 3 or 4 instances on 1 track to do this...
Old 12-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #57
The Telenator
Banned

mabian wrote:

"it's easy to get lost in the Head Case universe"

Please don't misunderstand, since I'll rate this latest setup up there with some of the best for sound alone, maybe even put it in the Top 10, but I think mabian hits it on the head. This setup suffers from essentially the same issue as I'm seeing in so many other amp sims. You can spend your entire life as a guitarist with Acme Bar Gig tweaking yourself to death, switching out module after module. I think it's the #1 failing of many software amp designs. I've encountered much the same at these 'amp shops.' There's one more item offered every week to try out, one more module or thing to bring your sound to the next level, except many players never 'get there.' Odd how it's offered as such a bonus, because there are many guitarists we never hear from anymore -- they're in their bedroom twisting knobs and switching out the different modules forever.

The other issue is the copycat problem. Can't anyone build and offer an original amp from the ground up? Holy crap, another Marshall copy, etc., etc. Wow. It has become this huge effort to slip in yet another Marshall and another Tube Screamer, thinly veiled and in code, unable to make any mention of the name. This second issue is really getting old, too, folks. How about some stinking originality and creativity? Even this 'build your own' isn't an original idea.

For these two reasons and a few lessor matters, I got sick of the constant tweaking required (a fault to some degree in ElevenRack and Axe FX, also) and stumbled upon the S-Gear amps. How refreshing! Finally amps that aren't some shallow copy. Good grief, a setup and sounds that were basically plug-and-play! Nice to know somebody is still making his own amps. Right away I discovered I could change settings around and it would not take all afternoon.

Sorry . . . if twiddling about constantly with your gear and plugging things in and out is what you prefer, and I think some do, then Acme is bound to keep you happy and busy. But I really think that the final assessment here is going to be just like Axe FX -- huge initial praise and enthusiasm that turns quickly into fatigue and frustration from days and weeks of tweaking to chase down some imaginary sound in your head.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #58
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Weird, I praised the S-Gear because it effortlessly captures the range of sounds you can get from a Marshall JMP-1, and doesn't do anything else particularly well.

For the guy looking for clean tones, don't forget to put Tribe in the beginning of the chain!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #59
The Telenator
Banned

pipeline, you totally missed my point. Yes, one S-Gear amp in particular can nail certain Marshall sounds quite well, as I think most good and flexible software amps should be able to do. And perhaps other amps too. BUT the three amps currently offered by Scuffham Amps are very clearly their own amps. They are original creations from the bottom up, each with its own character and unique controls.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #60
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by silar View Post
Anyone ever thought of this for live use? Having 2 or more instances of Headcase running, each with your amp and cab of choice, then through midi, just toggle each on and off to switch sounds within Reaper? I know It's a bit resource intensive for 1 instance (I'm showing around 8%), but I'd think you could run 3 or 4 instances on 1 track to do this...
Indeed. You can use one cab and fx instance and two 'loners' heads routed through them to save a few more CPU cycles too, or maybe u meant using the seperate vsts .
Sws live config module can help with the switching etc too.

Re the telenators point. Agree mostly. I made more progress with my playing this year since getting a vox amplug ( nighttrain ) and sticking it through a modified practice amp, so it all resembled a practice amp setup, and its two head settings, gain and the guitar tone / pickup select and vol pots gave me all the sounds I needed, at least for development purposes. Think that needs doing before going tweak nuts, but many don't and miss out.
BenK-msx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #61
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
The other issue is the copycat problem. Can't anyone build and offer an original amp from the ground up? Holy crap, another Marshall copy, etc., etc. Wow. It has become this huge effort to slip in yet another Marshall and another Tube Screamer, thinly veiled and in code, unable to make any mention of the name.
OK Officially, this guy is not me...Posts like me, might even look like me, but he's an imposter..

Telenator, you must not have seen ANY of my posts ever... I'm not sure actually how long you've been around, but frankly quit working my corner..
If you are going to post like me though, get it right.. I do it like this..

Quote:
Great! Another same ol, same ol, suite with yet another plexi, and fender. Excellent, lets see how good the cheap imitations are this time. Yippee I can make believe there's a little Marshall living in my computer..
Thats how its done son..

HAHA
Just joking..
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #62
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Indeed. You can use one cab and fx instance and two 'loners' heads routed through them to save a few more CPU cycles too, or maybe u meant using the seperate vsts .
Sws live config module can help with the switching etc too.

Re the telenators point. Agree mostly. I made more progress with my playing this year since getting a vox amplug ( nighttrain ) and sticking it through a modified practice amp, so it all resembled a practice amp setup, and its two head settings, gain and the guitar tone / pickup select and vol pots gave me all the sounds I needed, at least for development purposes. Think that needs doing before going tweak nuts, but many don't and miss out.
Or you can just wait a little while for head case quad.. Then you can run 4 heads and cabs for the price of one and simply switch between them...
Four is enough no?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #63
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
pipeline, you totally missed my point. Yes, one S-Gear amp in particular can nail certain Marshall sounds quite well, as I think most good and flexible software amps should be able to do. And perhaps other amps too. BUT the three amps currently offered by Scuffham Amps are very clearly their own amps. They are original creations from the bottom up, each with its own character and unique controls.
Most every amp we ever made is original from the ground up... For the little while we did try modeling, we made impossible hybrids..(and they sounded like shit)..

No offence but why would you think that we are a copycat company when we have done nothing but go after copy cats and push people to get their own sound. If fact WE put our money where our mouth is and created a system that allows you to create your own original sound(or head if you want to call it that)...

So I'm not really sure I get your point? I may have it totally wrong, and you are not saying we are a copycat company? If so sorry, but it just seems that these comments were directed at us since this is a HC thread and nothing could be a more inaccurate description of ABG.. People call us a lot of things.. haha Copycat is not one of them...

About Scuffham
I wanted to add, I love what Scuffham is doing too, they have done a great job on everything. That part you definitely got right..

Last edited by JohnnyMcFly; 12-15-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #64
The Telenator
Banned

Johnny, on the Marshall issue I was responding to someone else's comments. Looking back on that I probably should have passed on it, because it seems to be obscuring the much larger 'tweaking' issue.

You're going to send off these younger chaps into their bedrooms to fiddle about for 6 months to year, swapping out the various modules and so on endlessly. I know it looked good on paper -- it's essentially the same sort of thing these 'amp stores' boast about -- dozens of choices and hundreds of amps and sounds. I see it as sort of related to the DAW plugin phenomenon where users have, for example, folders containing 30 compressors and are never sure which one to use. My point is that so many choices is not always a good thing. Players end up doing more knob twisting and component swapping than real playing. That's all fine and good if that's why someone went into guitar playing, but not so long ago it used to be about spending all one's time making music.

This concept of too many choices has made its way finally into the world of amp sims. I remember a guitarist who was the first I'd seen with one of those original B.C. Rich guitars. The thing had something like 17 switches and 8 knobs on it! I knew him to be a pretty fair player, but when he jammed with us he spent half the time flipping all those switches instead of playing. It was comical but also a little sad to watch.

I don't want to 'build' my own amp, Johnny. I expect to pay designers to use their genius and creativity to make me something that blows me and my listeners away just about right out of the box. Putting these modules together to create something original and best is your job. This pick and choose stuff is best left for the buffet-style of restaurants.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #65
S1770

Removed

Virtual Amp Stash No Longer Supports This Company

Last edited by S1770; 01-26-2013 at 11:30 PM.
S1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #66
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Johnny, on the Marshall issue I was responding to someone else's comments. Looking back on that I probably should have passed on it, because it seems to be obscuring the much larger 'tweaking' issue.

You're going to send off these younger chaps into their bedrooms to fiddle about for 6 months to year, swapping out the various modules and so on endlessly. I know it looked good on paper -- it's essentially the same sort of thing these 'amp stores' boast about -- dozens of choices and hundreds of amps and sounds. I see it as sort of related to the DAW plugin phenomenon where users have, for example, folders containing 30 compressors and are never sure which one to use. My point is that so many choices is not always a good thing. Players end up doing more knob twisting and component swapping than real playing. That's all fine and good if that's why someone went into guitar playing, but not so long ago it used to be about spending all one's time making music.

This concept of too many choices has made its way finally into the world of amp sims. I remember a guitarist who was the first I'd seen with one of those original B.C. Rich guitars. The thing had something like 17 switches and 8 knobs on it! I knew him to be a pretty fair player, but when he jammed with us he spent half the time flipping all those switches instead of playing. It was comical but also a little sad to watch.

I don't want to 'build' my own amp, Johnny. I expect to pay designers to use their genius and creativity to make me something that blows me and my listeners away just about right out of the box. Putting these modules together to create something original and best is your job. This pick and choose stuff is best left for the buffet-style of restaurants.
Not to make light of your opinion, but frankly I don't think you get it.(why we're doing this) I had a long thought out reply for you, but you know what? I really can't be bothered typing... I have been up for 22 hours working on head case and the last thing I am going to do is sell snow to an Eskimo, so.. If you like head case, buy it, if not, don't..
Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #67
silar

For what its worth Ken, I greatly appreciate you making Headcase. for recording, its amazing. Plus the complete flexability of tweaking to your hearts content, ability to use your own ir's or redwires, etc.

theres always going to be those out there that are never satisfied with anything and they will complain no matter what they use.

For those that arent tech savy, or want something out of the box to work for them, import some new heads and have a ball!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #68
Breeder

Is there some kind of manual in the works (for builder, suite seems straight forward enough), or it will get done with videos on the asylum over time?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #69
copacetic

You don't need to fiddle with Headcase if you don't want to, far as I can tell.

I just loaded it up and used it immediately.

If people are able to go further than that, it's a great option to have, obviously.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #70
kindafishy

Quote:

Telenator, you're not describing what HeadCase is. There are essentially two broad aspects to HeadCase, which allow for you to use it as an amp suite in your DAW OR allow you to use the builder capabilities (which is a separate application by the way) to create your own head, if you desire to do so.

The aspect that I am most interested in, and the one that I think you would be interested in, is from the perspective of the guitarist. From this viewpoint, HeadCase is an amplifier built from software, and it is on par, if not better (which is my opinion) than what are generally considered to be the best in the business in terms of playability, raw sound and player reaction (those others being Softube, S-Gear and perhaps, Revalver). Frankly, I don't think any of those react to player dynamics and break up properly like HeadCase does, but admittedly, I haven't spent time with S-Gear, nor do I want to because I have found 'my amp' with HeadCase and I want to play, I don't want to search (or tweak).

The other aspect, which is the one you are currently focused on, is really a completely different concept altogether. If you are not interested in tweaking, and you just want to find wonderful amps created by brilliant designers, this aspect is not for you (although the suite/DAW aspect is likely well suited to you since the brilliant amps are there). That is perfectly fine... building heads from scratch is not for me either. However, for those who are inclined to do so, completely original heads can be created from scratch. People who choose to do this may end up tweaking the amp for weeks as you suggest. However, you say it like it is a bad thing because you are only seeing it from your perspective. For those who do this, they are doing it because they want to do it. You don't want to (nor do I), but many are actually very passionate about the building aspect.

Anyway, hopefully this adds a bit to your complete understanding of HeadCase. I'm not associated with ABG, I am just a user. I do hope that they do well though because in my opinion, they have pushed the industry forward with creative ingenuity and they have now released what should (again IMO) be considered to be the gold standard of software amplifiers. Frankly when it comes to sound, feel and potential, they are at the absolute top of all offerings from all other companies, bar none. Add to that, the ability to create or use user created content, and HeadCase really is in a league of its own.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #71
silar

I completely agree..

Is anyone else getting a 'Reaper.exe - No Disk' when adding in Headcase suite 1.54 (not demo) to a track?

The message that pops up says..
'There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk2\dr13'

I've tried to un-install and re-install the software, and I still get it. All other plugins work fine. I have the option on the message to 'Cancel', 'Try Again', or 'Continue'. I've tried them all and it loads up Headcase fine, but not sure why I'm getting this message...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error.jpg (15.3 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by silar; 12-16-2012 at 10:32 AM.
silar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #72
The Telenator
Banned

To be clear, and which I thought should have been obvious from the start, I was referring only to the 'amp builder' aspect. I made absolutely no reference to anything else. As far as the other, I think Headcase does well at the massive overdrive part that many seem to appreciate. This is lacking in most other amps and why I rated Acme Bar Gig as high as I did in my first post.

To the one who suggested I not waste my time 'tweaking,' rest assured that it won't. The real test of this builder stuff is what users think of it in 6 months to a year's time. The 'amp store' was highly touted when it started out, too. Funny how you don't hear anyone gush so wildly over it anymore. Quite to the contrary Now! In fact. I expected with time we'll see a more balanced assessment of the amp builder feature here also.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #73
mykrobinson

Sometimes I feel just a bit daft.. I downloaded the demo the other day and liked the sounds but felt like I was using Line 6 products again with a lot of tweaking and minimal playing.. Is there a direct download for the documentation? Maybe it installed with the demo, but I have uninstalled the demo. I'd just like to read a bit more about the product before making a decision.

At the moment I use and like Overloud TH2, but am always looking at other options just because there is so much cool stuff out there
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #74
JohnnyMcFly

Telenator, The Amp Store(I assume you are talking about IK MM's custom shop) and the Virtual Amp Stash do not compare.

-VAS is totally free with heads being built by a community of guitarists. I have no idea who is building the gear in the custom shop and its commercial, you pay for gear.

-The custom shop currently has different types of gear, VAS only has heads for now, we will be adding custom built stomps and rack effects to head case's abilities in future updates.

-As far as I know, every time you buy a new piece of gear from the custom shop you have to download the whole AT DLL. VAS when you want something new all you do is download the single JPEG image of what you want..

They only compare in that you get gear from both of them.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #75
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by silar View Post
I completely agree..

Is anyone else getting a 'Reaper.exe - No Disk' when adding in Headcase suite 1.54 (not demo) to a track?

The message that pops up says..
'There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk2\dr13'

I've tried to un-install and re-install the software, and I still get it. All other plugins work fine. I have the option on the message to 'Cancel', 'Try Again', or 'Continue'. I've tried them all and it loads up Headcase fine, but not sure why I'm getting this message...
This is what we think is happening.. I'm not 100% sure though...

Inside the heads we have references to IR files. These references are needed during the FREUD (Head Shrinking) process. Unfortunately, for some reason, and this only seems to happen in reaper, or at least those are the only reports we have. For some reason if you had a USB stick in a drive that was referenced in head case then you'll get this error.

Here's another explanation...
I had a usb stick on the G: drive. (it is no longer there though)
I download a head from the VAS and install it. Inside that head it has references to G:\Cabinets\Mycabs\greatcab.wav, and G:\Cabinets\Mycabs\greatcab2.wav

Head case loads and looks to see if the path is correct, If it is it loads the IR files, if not it gets an error at which time Head case ignores the loading. All this seems to work fine, except for some reason in reaper the operating system is notified somewhere as well and thats the error that you see..

As I say so far it seems like this only happens in reaper, but that MAY not be the case as no one has answered back to me about whether it happens in other daws. I have never been able to recreate this error myself either, so its quite a perplexing situation.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #76
JohnnyMcFly

About the manual..
I shyed away from a traditional manual for 2 reasons, first is the size, it would be at least 600 pages and thats seriously time consuming. Although to be honest I really liked the idea that softweare we did needed a manual of that size. So, it would have become a labour of love.

The second reason is that a 600 page manual only gives some people ammunition to be negative. Instead of appreciating the effort it took to write that manual, let alone the software, it becomes just another point they can bash with.. So I said we'll do videos instead..

Videos because I thought they would be quicker, I was wrong they are not. I think I should just go ahead and write the manual though, I'll just try and condense it..
Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #77
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
Sometimes I feel just a bit daft.. I downloaded the demo the other day and liked the sounds but felt like I was using Line 6 products again with a lot of tweaking and minimal playing.. Is there a direct download for the documentation? Maybe it installed with the demo, but I have uninstalled the demo. I'd just like to read a bit more about the product before making a decision.

At the moment I use and like Overloud TH2, but am always looking at other options just because there is so much cool stuff out there
Overloud have always made great stuff..
I'll have something in a few weeks for you, in the mean time here are a few videos

Here is one that covers downloading and installing a head from the Virtual Amp Stash. This covers using the Virtual Amp Stash App thats installed with Head Case, and it covers installing just the plain ol JPEG image.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Rel...20a%20Head.mp4

The rest can be seen at our you tube channel here, or our asylum(help button).
https://www.youtube.com/user/acmebargig
Thats our youtube channel.

Before anyone asks, yes there is a mechanism in place to host the help section locally. Later the plans for this help section will be context sensitive. So wherever you are in the software head case will know and display the correct video for the area you are in. For now we just display all the vids..
Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #78
kindafishy

Quote:
To be clear, and which I thought should have been obvious from the start, I was referring only to the 'amp builder' aspect. I made absolutely no reference to anything else. As far as the other, I think Headcase does well at the massive overdrive part that many seem to appreciate. This is lacking in most other amps and why I rated Acme Bar Gig as high as I did in my first post.

To the one who suggested I not waste my time 'tweaking,' rest assured that it won't. The real test of this builder stuff is what users think of it in 6 months to a year's time. The 'amp store' was highly touted when it started out, too. Funny how you don't hear anyone gush so wildly over it anymore. Quite to the contrary Now! In fact. I expected with time we'll see a more balanced assessment of the amp builder feature here also.
To me it wasn't obvious that you were only talking about the builder, but I am sure that I just missed that.

Agree that HeadCase does well in the massive overdrive sphere. To my ears, it excels even more when it comes to clean sounds that break up beautifully as your playing dynamics push it. Strangely (perhaps), I have found that the best way to get this it to use one of the higher gain amps and turn the gain (and level) down pretty low. Pure, clean, classic, break-up-just-when-you-want-it bliss.

The amp builder has already been exercised for quite a long time. I'm not sure the exact amount of time it has been in people's hands, but it has certainly been more than 6 months, and perhaps more than a year. Ken would know for sure. It has been 'closed beta' for a very long time now, so I think your question has really already been answered, and I think people still love it. That's the sense in the ABG beta forums and over at the GAM forums.

IK's 'custom shop', which is designed to sell you more and more things, is not anywhere near the same thing as users being able to contribute their own creations to a community of other users for no charge. The comparison really ends at 'being able to get stuff from somewhere without leaving the software'.

If you want a closer comparison, think about video games like 'Little Big Planet' or 'Minecraft' to figure out what all the hubbub is when it comes to software that enables and promotes a user driven community that can contribute content back to the main piece of software.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #79
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
This is what we think is happening.. I'm not 100% sure though...

Inside the heads we have references to IR files. These references are needed during the FREUD (Head Shrinking) process. Unfortunately, for some reason, and this only seems to happen in reaper, or at least those are the only reports we have. For some reason if you had a USB stick in a drive that was referenced in head case then you'll get this error.

Here's another explanation...
I had a usb stick on the G: drive. (it is no longer there though)
I download a head from the VAS and install it. Inside that head it has references to G:\Cabinets\Mycabs\greatcab.wav, and G:\Cabinets\Mycabs\greatcab2.wav

Head case loads and looks to see if the path is correct, If it is it loads the IR files, if not it gets an error at which time Head case ignores the loading. All this seems to work fine, except for some reason in reaper the operating system is notified somewhere as well and thats the error that you see..

As I say so far it seems like this only happens in reaper, but that MAY not be the case as no one has answered back to me about whether it happens in other daws. I have never been able to recreate this error myself either, so its quite a perplexing situation.
Thanks Ken. ive not had a usb drive in, but its not a big deal as far as the error goes. Headcase still loads up and works fine.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #80
JohnnyMcFly

The builder has been available publicly for I think 6 months(whenever it was that we did the Head Case lite Public beta was the first time it was available to the public). It has been available to the closed beta forums for well over a year, closer to 1 and a half years.

Here's the question..
Do you feel like your amp is an integral part of your art? In my way of thinking, I want to have control of every aspect of my art. Imagine if a painter had to rely on commercially available colors for their picture. Imagine if they had to go to a store every time they needed a colour because they could not blend it themselves.

Guitar was like that for some until a few days ago, but it will remain like that for others who refuse to embrace possibilities where the only adjustments they want is a bass knob...

@silar, I'll send you the update build to test when its complete. See if we nailed it.. (again) haha