Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #41
bolgwrad
Human being with feelings

Good to hear you got it working, but I'd still like to learn what the issue was in case I should update/correct the manuals.

Just to make sure, you located the REAPER/Effects folder, inserted the unzipped plugins there, and restarted REAPER, but the plugins didn't show?

Sorry, I'm not sure: I unzipped them into the {User}/Reaper/Effects folder - in a MrElwood folder, but didn't see them on the first attempt to insert - I may just have missed them in my plugin bloat; they weren't in the 'New' folder, obv. as they aren't VST. I opened the 'create new JSFX' dialog, decided not to, and there they were. I didn't use the 'Search for new plugins' dialog, it was just a new instance of Reaper after the install, so maybe it was just a refresh issue.

Still using them, definite keepers - you've integrated the sound functions and the GUI brilliantly.
bolgwrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #42
hopi

beautiful work.. thanks so much!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:54 AM   #43
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
beautiful work.. thanks so much!
Thank you, very kind words!

My deepest gratitude to all that have donated! I can’t even start tot describe how much they all mean to me. Thank you so much for the support!

I am already on a good pace for publishing my next plugin. It’s a compressor with a few innovative features I’ve yet to see elsewhere. The GUI is done and I’m just fine tuning the controls and parameters. I’m already proud of this one! So stay tuned...
Old 09-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #44
hopi

your GUI's for JSFX are sweet... not to mention clever [Sky %^)]...
I looked into JS GUI's one time and appreciate they are not so easy to create.

Since you seem to have a handle on them... maybe you'd consider doing better GUI's for other already existing JSFX ???
Old 09-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #45
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
your GUI's for JSFX are sweet... not to mention clever [Sky %^)]...
I looked into JS GUI's one time and appreciate they are not so easy to create.
Thanks! Hard for me to compare, JS is the only one I know...

Quote:
Since you seem to have a handle on them... maybe you'd consider doing better GUI's for other already existing JSFX ???
Why not, after all that’s how the Routter started, and kind of still is. I could give some a try. Do you have some specifics in mind?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #46
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Do you have some specifics in mind?
I like NP1136 a lot, and I don't mind how it looks (typical built-in JS GUI)...but I wonder if others would "discover" that plugin and appreciate it as much as I do, if it had a fancy GUI.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #47
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I like NP1136 a lot, and I don't mind how it looks (typical built-in JS GUI)...but I wonder if others would "discover" that plugin and appreciate it as much as I do, if it had a fancy GUI.
Oh yes, that is a plugin I have toyed around with a lot. It’s a great sounding compressor. Btw there is already a GUI for it, although not sure if it’s any more inviting:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=23

My iterations of the NP1136 have tended to derail a bit. But a proper face for that one is definitely deserved. Let’s see if I can come up with something original.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #48
northwoodmediaworks

Thank you for sharing.
northwoodmediaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #49
hopi

Quote:
Why not, after all that’s how the Routter started, and kind of still is. I could give some a try. Do you have some specifics in mind?
any of them that you care to deal with would be lovely...

I did some gui's long ago for the Nebula plugins... well 'skins' really... and a couple others... lots of work both graphic and xml code... I don't have the desire for that work any more but I really appreciate your work...

It's so nice to have the many JSFX that come with reaper and that people create and to have beautiful GUI's for any of them is just a big plus!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #50
mrelwood

A new plugin!

Mother of all compressors, free to download at mrelwood plugins !

Last edited by mrelwood; 10-08-2018 at 08:40 AM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #51
dug dog

Quote:
Mother of all compressors
When you put it that way, who could resist?
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #52
Edgemeal

Quote:
A new plugin!

Mother of all compressors, free to download at mrelwood plugins !
Uses a lot of CPU here when visible, with 3 visible instances of the plugin (1 per track) and nothing else Total CPU usage is over 12% on i7-3770 @ 4GHz. Is that normal?

Win7_x64 / v5.96_rc4
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #53
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Uses a lot of CPU here when visible, with 3 visible instances of the plugin (1 per track) and nothing else Total CPU usage is over 12% on i7-3770 @ 4GHz. Is that normal?

Win7_x64 / v5.96_rc4
Absolutely not normal! Thanks for reporting. Do you have a release version of Reaper to try it on? When writing the plugin on Reaper 5.95 I ended up at 1.4% on a MacBook Pro 15" from 2010.

I'll check if I've missed anything obvious.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #54
JamesPeters

Quote:

Win7_x64 / v5.96_rc4
The graphics make it GPU-intensive. When the plugin window is visible my GPU usage goes up a lot. Closing the plugin window but leaving it active, it uses much less. Since my GPU is onboard it all shows as "CPU" but I know what the deal is when things like this happen.

(I'm using Linux, and the Linux version of Reaper.)
Old 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #55
Edgemeal

Quote:
Absolutely not normal! Thanks for reporting. Do you have a release version of Reaper to try it on?
Ya, REAPER 5.95 acts same way, GPU is old Radeon 6670 card.

Also tried other PC, Win10, i5-3570K(w/Intel on-die GPU), REAPER v5.40. With 3 visible instances of the plugin REAPER Total CPU Usage jumps to 25%.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #56
mrelwood

Quote:
The graphics make it GPU-intensive.
All graphics (except the meters) are generated only when there are changes done to them. In a steady state it just shows a bitmap image. To my knowledge this is the most economic way for any plugin to show any graphics.

@Edgemeal, are you checking the total CPU consumption from the Reaper Performance Meter, or the Windows Task Manager?

Could you do a test:
1. Make all plugin instances visible, and make note of the CPU usage.
2. Disable (bypass) all instances of the plugin. Note the CPU load when the plugin code is not executed. (Edit: The graphics section IS still executed. Working on this issue.)
3. Now hide the plugins.

On my laptop the system load drops drastically only when I hide the plugins, not when I bypass them.

To make the GPU load lighter you can drag the plugin window to a smaller size. The graphics are still generated at the same internal size so the CPU load doesn't change, only the GPU.

Last edited by mrelwood; 10-09-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #57
dug dog

Quote:

On my laptop the system load drops drastically only when I hide the plugins, not when I bypass them.
Same thing here on my desktop Reaper 5.95 X64.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #58
dug dog

Don't know if this matters but I'm using on-board graphics.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #59
Edgemeal

Quote:
@Edgemeal, are you checking the total CPU consumption from the Reaper Performance Meter, or the Windows Task Manager?

Could you do a test:
1. Make all plugin instances visible, and make note of the CPU usage.
2. Disable (bypass) all instances of the plugin. Note the CPU load when the plugin code is not executed.
3. Now hide the plugins.
Reaper Performance Meter > Total CPU
1. 12% (3 instances).
2. Still 12%.
3. 0.0% ~ 0.4%

Maybe reaper don't like it on windows? Oddly changing plugin window size effects cpu usage, at max size cpu usage can actually be lower, but then I make changes to compressor settings and usage jumps back up, weird, and then closing project was really slow, something just ain't right. Best of luck!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #60
mrelwood

I'm now adding an option to switch to economy mode. Should help.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #61
JamesPeters

Quote:
Maybe reaper don't like it on windows? Oddly changing plugin window size effects cpu usage, at max size cpu usage can actually be lower,
I'm using Linux Reaper and getting similar results, so I don't think it's Windows specifically.

Resizing the window larger reduces CPU a bit (1-2%) but hiding the plugin is what lower the CPU to a "normal" level (much lower).

In case I wasn't clear before I'm using onboard graphics as well. (Intel HD530) That's why this is showing as "CPU". If I had a separate graphics adapter I wouldn't be surprised if that would only show as a GPU hit.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #62
mrelwood

Could you guys also test the Sky, does it behave the same on yöur system(s)? Thanks!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #63
JamesPeters

Yes, it does the same thing, it just doesn't take as much CPU (around 70% of what your compressor plugin does).
Old 10-09-2018, 03:35 AM   #64
mrelwood

MotherComp v1.02 available. Double-click the plugin logo title to enter economy CPU mode.

I'm not 100% satisfied with this temporary solution, and it doesn't even fix the issue completely. I'l keep investigating (untill I have to eat).

Ps. If the MotherComp web page is missing for you, refresh the main page and try again.

Last edited by mrelwood; 10-09-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #65
Edgemeal

At default/small size SKY basically uses no CPU, as window size is increased it does use more, peeks around 4% on my 8 thread cpu.

Compressor in Eco mode at default size is using about 75% less CPU, when enlarged (to next larger UI sizes) the CPU usage actually drops and barely using any cpu.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #66
JamesPeters

The CPU has dropped, when displaying the plugin.

Still...I just realized that when hidden the plugin still uses more CPU than all the other compressors I have, about 4 to 5 times as much as some of them. It won't make a difference on someone's system if it's relatively powerful, but on my system I'd have to be careful to only use the compressor on a few tracks (if I'm using lots of plugins besides that).

To be clear though: I typically use plugins that use low CPU. Consider ReaComp by comparison; most of the compressors I use (VST, JS) use about the same CPU as that or maybe 2x as much.

If you're aware of this, that's fine. And I expect a lot of people with newer/more powerful systems than mine won't even notice. (I use a Core i3 6300 processor.) If I had to guess based on my memory of the last time I tried Klanghelm MJUC, this compressor probably uses about as much CPU, and not a lot of people complain about its CPU usage. I'm just mentioning this in case you're not aware.

Thanks for making this plugin! Now I actually have to test it while listening to it.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #67
mrelwood

Quote:
Still...I just realized that when hidden the plugin still uses more CPU than all the other compressors I have, about 4 to 5 times as much as some of them.
Yes, I am not at all happy with the CPU consumption so I am currently rebuilding the order and frequency all graphic elements are drawn and shown. When designing the plugin, as the features grew and grew, I neglected the need for stronger code optimizations, as I didn’t realize the consumption could get this high. I would like to use MotherComp as the only compressor myself, on every track, and twice on some. Hopefully I can get the consumption down to reasonable levels without changing the sound.

Quote:
Now I actually have to test it while listening to it.
Please do, and let us know how it fares!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #68
mrelwood

Good news! Compared to the current MotherComp 1.02 in economy mode, the new version uses about a third less CPU+GPU with normal graphics!

I hope to get it finalized for download in 12 hours.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #69
lachinhan

Quote:
Good news! Compared to the current MotherComp 1.02 in economy mode, the new version uses about a third less CPU+GPU with normal graphics!

I hope to get it finalized for download in 12 hours.
So Great. Awesome. Thank you
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #70
citizenkeith

I auditioned Mother today. Very impressive! While I ended up using a different compressor in this particular instance, I'm sure to use it in the near future. Thank you!
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #71
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I auditioned Mother today. Very impressive! While I ended up using a different compressor in this particular instance, I'm sure to use it in the near future. Thank you!
Thanks for trying it out and your kind words!

For possible future improvements, could you share what exact feature or behavior was it that you didn’t get from MotherComp?
_

Version 1.1 with drastically lower GPU usage is still on the way. I’ve hit a few hurdles to get all the features to work with the new graphics behavior.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #72
albatteur

great job. Merci!
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #73
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

your donation page doesn't open, "please wait" goes on and on
Old 10-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #74
Regisfofo

Hi there,

First I want to really thansk for your work, I really apreciate your plugs.

I want to report a bug tho:
In router 1.0 the settings were not saved with the session and now for some reason GUI looks totally messed up with every piece of image stacked on up left corner.

Reaper 5.95 win10 64 bits here, portable installation

On another installation (my regular one) no problem encountered so far...
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #75
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
your donation page doesn't open, "please wait" goes on and on
My humblest gratitudes for testing that side as well! D
It seems to work on my browsers. Perhaps it was a temporary PayPal glitch. Perhaps try again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
First I want to really thansk for your work, I really apreciate your plugs.
Thank you!

Quote:
In router 1.0 the settings were not saved with the session and now for some reason GUI looks totally messed up with every piece of image stacked on up left corner.
Thanks for reporting. I will try to find out what the issue could be in a portable install. I do have some ideas.
_

I'm still tackling the last hurdles on the MotherComp 1.1, and it WILL be up before I go to sleep...
Old 10-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #76
mrelwood

FINALLY! MotherComp 1.1 available!
- Enormous CPU/GPU optimizations.
- Disabled Economy mode as redundant.

I strongly urge everyone to update, the CPU/GPU load difference is huge when the plugin is shown, and should be a good one even when hidden.

Do tell how it works for you!
Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #77
JamesPeters

The CPU of Mothercomp is definitely reduced. Now it's using a much lower amount, which is about 2x what the next-highest-CPU compressor that I have (which isn't bad at all considering I only have low-CPU compressors besides this one). It's also in line for CPU use with a tape emulation plugin that I use. I think this is fair, since I can still use this compressor on a lot of tracks, and it's definitely a "character" compressor. Any time I've used a "character" compressor, it's taken more CPU. In that realm, this is one of the more reasonable compressors for CPU that I've used.

And I like it a lot! I'm not quite using it as a "one-knob" compressor since I'm too used to adjusting plugin settings to explore what they do. But it does work nicely if someone wants to use it that simply, plus has lots of flexibility. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a simple-to-use "character hardware-sounding" compressor (which also has advanced settings "out of your way")...so basically I would recommend it to everyone.

It currently has a bug. If you save a preset, then recall it later, it seems as though it won't change the plugin's settings. It actually does, but won't show them until you double-click on the plugin's "wood" background. So it's just not redrawing the plugin's fader/knob positions when recalling a preset.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #78
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
These issues are now hopefully fixed on Routter 1.1.

I also changed the UI behavior slightly, so that only a single click is required to show channels 9-16, and the channels won't change until you click on the new ones.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #79
Lau

Thanks a lot mrelwood
Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:03 AM   #80
Regisfofo

Thanks a lot, it works like a charm now! That was fast!

Is midi implementation in your plan too ? That would be great
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote