Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #521
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Bluetooth is one of the few things GUARANTEED to hurt DAW performance. That puts this app completely off the table for serious usage, at least when low latency is desired or required.
I know several musicians, who use Lemur in live sessions/concerts on the regular basis. And I'm talking not only about the EDM guys, but also guitarists, singers, keyboardists.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:58 AM   #522
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Is this thread not about enabling a controller as a hardware user interface ?

Hence, IMHO, a computer based GUI (e.g. remote) is part of yet another, completely different, and decently complex game, that might or might not be related, but definitively should be - and is - discussed elsewher.

-Michael
No, this is with regard to the UI to configure the software -- i.e. when you press "Edit" on the surfaces config section in Reaper. You would use it only when you change surfaces, add maps, etc.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 AM   #523
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
I know several musicians, who use Lemur in live sessions/concerts on the regular basis. And I'm talking not only about the EDM guys, but also guitarists, singers, keyboardists.
Good for them.

If, however, you're maxing out your PC's capabilities, especially regarding low latency, then Bluetooth is a no go. That's just how it is.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 AM   #524
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Bluetooth is a no go. That's just how it is.
BLE latency is 6 ms from non-connected state (wake up and start working) and minimal time to send data when awake is 3 ms.

Default control surface update frequency in Reaper is 15 Hz. Or, 66.7 ms.

So, you're fine with control surface plugin's latency, but can't stand Bluetooth's latency? Well, ok, then.
I like your peremptory attitude, anyway.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #525
Geoff Waddington

I think we have a case of apples and oranges here:

Quote:
Thanks.

That's looks good on the surface, but I literally stopped reading as soon as I saw "requires bluetooth to operate."

Bluetooth is one of the few things GUARANTEED to hurt DAW performance. That puts this app completely off the table for serious usage, at least when low latency is desired or required.

How can they not know this?

If they ever wake up, and code it so it can work with the iConnectMIDI2+ device, then I'll eagerly take another look.
This addresses the impact of running the Bluetooth software on a given machine, i.e. the amount of system resources it uses, how it impacts DPC latency, etc.

Quote:
BLE latency is 6 ms from non-connected state (wake up and start working) and minimal time to send data when awake is 3 ms.

Default control surface update frequency in Reaper is 15 Hz. Or, 66.7 ms.

So, you're fine with control surface plugin's latency, but can't stand Bluetooth's latency? Well, ok, then.
I like your peremptory attitude, anyway.
This addresses the latency behaviour of the software itself in use.

Not comparable as far as I can tell.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:04 AM   #526
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
I think we have a case of apples and oranges here:
I think, not.

Quote:
This addresses the impact of running the Bluetooth software on a given machine, i.e. the amount of system resources it uses, how it impacts DPC latency, etc.
Every laptop/tablet PC have BT on board. Heck, even my desktop PC have BT dongle for my mouse, gamepad and wacom tablet.

CPU hogging Bluetooth support on my PC:

1.2 MB of RAM. This is what might've slowing down my PC all the time. It seems like 32Gb of the installed RAM aren't enough. Damn. 🤠
Old 01-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #527
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I think, not.

Every laptop/tablet PC have BT on board. Heck, even my desktop PC have BT dongle for my mouse, gamepad and wacom tablet.

CPU hogging Bluetooth support on my PC:

1.2 MB of RAM. This is what might've slowing down my PC all the time. It seems like 32Gb of the installed RAM aren't enough. Damn. 🤠
Once again apples and oranges.

The data you present is about memory usage, not CPU usage, which is what is important here.

Using memory doesn't slow anything down until paging comes into play which, on modern hardware, is probably quite infrequent, unless you're pushing things really hard.

What does matter are the sudden bursts of CPU activity caused by an app (apparently Bluetooth in this case) which affect DPC latency, which, in turn, affects realtime audio performance.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #528
fundorin
Banned

CPU usage is the first number on the picture above.

I've never in my life, having dozens of PC's, experienced any performance decrease of the DAW because of BT. I'm operating Reaper with BT mouse, as i said earlier. No issues, at all.
And I'm not using some fancy BT dongle. It's one of the cheapest 4.0 adapters. And it's performing excellently.
I've also had no issues with DAW (Reaper) performance, using TouchOSC, Lemur and VI-Control apps on both Android and iOS devices.
If BT is so dangerous for the music, we should suggest Korg, Akai and Yamaha to immediately remove those products from their lineup.

I think, the main issue is not BT, but is that someone is a cable addict here, as the nickname suggests. 🤡
Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #529
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

I've never in my life, having dozens of PC's, experienced any performance decrease of the DAW because of BT. I'm operating Reaper with BT mouse, as i said earlier. No issues, at all.
And I'm not using some fancy BT dongle. It's one of the cheapest 4.0 adapters. And it's performing excellently.
I've also had no issues with DAW (Reaper) performance, using TouchOSC, Lemur and VI-Control apps on both Android and iOS devices.
If BT is so dangerous for the music, we should suggest Korg, Akai and Yamaha to immediately remove those products from their lineup.

I think, the main issue is not BT, but is that someone is a cable addict here, as the nickname suggests. 🤡
Wow 37% is a LOT for any app, I can see why people avoid Bluetooth.

If you aren't having problems it simply means you are not taxing your system enough to expose it.

Apparently @CableAddict is stressing his system enough to expose it.

Simple as that.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #530
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Wow 37% is a LOT for any app, I can see why people avoid Bluetooth.
Where did you get that number? You mean, the picture? It's the overall RAM load of my PC. Not BT process. Firefox is eating memory for breakfast:

Quote:
If you aren't having problems it simply means you are not taxing your system enough to expose it.
Believe me, I do.

Quote:
Apparently @CableAddict is stressing his system enough to expose it.
Simple as that.
I highly doubt it. What is most likely is that he still thinks that BT protocol is as slow as it was in times of version 1.1/1.2.

Modern BLE works at the same frequencies as modern wi-fi and, AFAIR, they're very similar in terms of speed/latency.
The latest BT 5.0 has 6,25 MB/s speed. I had no noticable audio latency with BT 4.2 headphones and my phone. Obviously, BT 5.0 is at least two times faster with same same/better latency.
So, if it's good for audio streaming, it would be best for simple midi/osc protocols.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #531
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Where did you get that number? You mean, the picture? It's the overall RAM load of my PC. Not BT process. Firefox is eating memory for breakfast:
Ah, when you said first number, thought you meant the row above the memory usage.

Once again CPU usage, not memory is what's important here, in particular as it pertains to DPC latency.

DPC latency is NOT the same as audio latency, although they can be related.

Quote:
I highly doubt it. What is most likely is that he still thinks that BT protocol is as slow as it was in times of version 1.1/1.2.

Modern BLE works at the same frequencies as modern wi-fi and, AFAIR, they're very similar in terms of speed/latency.
The latest BT 5.0 has 6,25 MB/s speed. I had no noticable audio latency with BT 4.2 headphones and my phone. Obviously, BT 5.0 is at least two times faster with same same/better latency.
So, if it's good for audio streaming, it would be best for simple midi/osc protocols.
Once again, not about audio latency.

However, considering the new version, do you have numbers for the burst system load caused by BT 5.0 vs BT1.x ?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #532
fundorin
Banned

If you want to make an experiment, I can run the same heavy loaded Reaper project for with my BT 4.0 dongle (and wireless mouse) connected and then run it again with a wired mouse.

Anyway, here's my system's report, while still having Firefox running, also running Reaper with a dozen of heavy synths, audio tracks and a couple dozens of fx (48 FX total). And, of cause, with both BT dongle and mouse connected.
https://i.imgur.com/6LdVd3w.png
Old 01-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #533
Cableaddict

Quote:

I've never in my life, having dozens of PC's, experienced any performance decrease of the DAW because of BT.
��
I have, and so have others that I know. Both desktop and laptop.

Within the last few years.

Simple fact.
----------------

Another simple fact is that there's no good reason for that app to REQUIRE Bluetooth to communicate with the PC.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #534
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
I have, and so have others that I know. Both desktop and laptop.

Within the last few years.

Simple fact.
----------------
I guess, that's simply because you're avoiding the modern Bluetooth technology. Or, there's something else wrong with your Windows installation. Fact.

Quote:
Another simple fact is that there's no good reason for that app to REQUIRE Bluetooth to communicate with the PC.
Yeah, right. Tell that to that singer, who's standing it the vocal booth, controlling Reaper from a tablet, while the main console, running Reaper, is located in another room or even at the other floor.

Or you can tell the same to the musicians, who are playing live and all five of them are controlling their monitoring signals and FX plugin parameters in Reaper, which is running on the PC, inside the sound engineer's booth, located across the auditorium.

Did I forgot to mention, that the sound engineer is also recording the concert in Reaper, at the same time?

And for those, who want to get access to Reaper from their device quickly, Reaper devs even created Reaper Web Control. I guess, they should know by now, that the lanetcy is awful, the app useless, there's no good reason for this application and they should delete it, because some cable addict experiencing issues with his PC. True.

"Let's argue about the taste of oysters with those who ate them". © Mikhail Zhvanetsky
Old 01-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #535
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
... there's no good reason for this application and they should delete it, because some cable addict experiencing issues with his PC. True.
That's your third attempt at a personal attack on an individual user in this thread alone.

Just an FYI, that sort of behaviour is not tolerated for long around these parts...

Just sayin'
Old 01-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #536
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
That's your third attempt at a personal attack on an individual user in this thread alone.
But there's really something wrong with his setup. Thousands of customers using Lemur/TouchOSC/Vi-Control in their setups on a daily basis. Not even mentioning BT itself, as a technology.
I prefer seeing facts as arguments and not just crooked utterances, like:
Quote:
Bluetooth is a no go. That's just how it is
Thousands are using Mac computers for music production, while both Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse are working via nothing else, but (surprise!) BT technology.
Thousands are using BT devices with music production in PC world, including myself.

Blaming BT or saying that a good app is worthless, until it's developer would "wake up" to realize that he should completely rewrite his app for a single user, who doesn't stand wireless technology? Really? I find this type of "arguments" just rude.

Quote:
Just an FYI, that sort of behavior is not tolerated for long around these parts...
Just sayin'
You're advocating ignorance here. Just sayin'.
But, I hear you.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #537
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
But there's really something wrong with his setup. Thousands of customers using Lemur/TouchOSC/Vi-Control in their setups on a daily basis. Not even mentioning BT itself, as a technology.
I prefer seeing facts as arguments and not just crooked utterances, like:

"Bluetooth is a no go. That's just how it is"
Well, you may not know it but you just did it again

The only person in a position to know whether that's a crooked utterance is the one thoroughly familiar with the hardware and software, and that's not you or me, that's @CableAddict.

BTW in my culture, crooked utterance is most definitely a personal attack, it's calling someone a liar.

Quote:
Thousands are using Mac computers for music production, while both Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse are working via nothing else, but (surprise!) BT technology.
Thousands are using BT devices with music production in PC world, including myself.

Blaming BT or saying that a good app is worthless, until it's developer would "wake up" to realize that he should completely rewrite his app for a single user, who doesn't stand wireless technology? Really? I find this type of "arguments" just rude.
I heard nothing like that from @CableAddict, only that he doesn't like BT for his use case.

Quote:
You're advocating ignorance here. Just sayin'.
But, I hear you.
No I'm not advocating ignorance, quite the opposite, I'm trying to prevent the kind of ignorance that let's people criticize others without being sufficiently familiar with their situation, that's all.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #538
_Stevie_

Just as a sidenote, I'm using Lemur and ToucOSC and I never had bluetooth enabled. It works over Wifi.
Unless I completely missed the point here...
Old 01-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #539
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Well, you may not know it but you just did it again
I promise to keep myself in hands, from now on. 🤞

Quote:
The only person in a position to know whether that's a crooked utterance is the one thoroughly familiar with the hardware and software, and that's not you or me, that's @CableAddict.
I agree, yet, it doesn't mean that BT tenchology is the one to blame. It could be buggy video drivers, outdated LAN drivers, ACPI.sys battery monitor and lots of other things there. We don't know, but we can assume, true?

Quote:
BTW in my culture, crooked utterance is most definitely a personal attack, it's calling someone a liar.
Probably, lost in translation, since I'm constantly using Google Translate to translate some combinations of words, that are common in my language, to English.

Quote:
I heard nothing like that from @CableAddict, only that he doesn't like BT for his use case.
Here, take a look:
https://i.imgur.com/9Y9mQd3.png

Quote:
No I'm not advocating ignorance, quite the opposite, I'm trying to prevent the kind of ignorance that let's people criticize others without being sufficiently familiar with their situation, that's all.
That's what he did to Lemur devs. He isn't familiar with that app at all, nor he had no experience, using similar apps, as it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Just as a sidenote, I'm using Lemur and ToucOSC and I never had bluetooth enabled. It works over Wifi.
Unless I completely missed the point here...
True. And it works good. I almost forgot about how I've set up mine at the day 1. 🤠
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #540
poetnprophet

Hello, I've tried to read through this thread, and I'm not quite sure what this is for exactly regarding control surfaces.

I am new to Reaper. I have a VS700 Console (Roland/Cakewalk product). From what I know it uses MCU protocol. I have the Klinke ext but it doesn't really add a whole lot of function over the standard MCU driver. I know i'm in a huge minority with this console, but worth a shot.

Whatever it would take to get you to get this working would be more than wonderful.

Currently on top of my list of what's missing are the LED track levels not lighting up, track display pan info, and many of the buttons are not assignable, not recognized to assign actions.

Dave
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #541
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Hello, I've tried to read through this thread, and I'm not quite sure what this is for exactly regarding control surfaces.

I am new to Reaper. I have a VS700 Console (Roland/Cakewalk product). From what I know it uses MCU protocol. I have the Klinke ext but it doesn't really add a whole lot of function over the standard MCU driver. I know i'm in a huge minority with this console, but worth a shot.

Whatever it would take to get you to get this working would be more than wonderful.

Currently on top of my list of what's missing are the LED track levels not lighting up, track display pan info, and many of the buttons are not assignable, not recognized to assign actions.

Dave
Although we may get sidetracked at times, you've come to the right place

I had a quick look but didn't find info on the controls and midi messages for the VS700.

If you can research that, we can build you a set of maps that will exploit whatever features are available.

We are close to a pre-alpha release, so your timing is great.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #542
poetnprophet

Hey Geoff, thank you. Happy to look that up, stay tuned.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #543
Cableaddict

[QUOTE=fundorin;1943985] Yeah, right. Tell that to that singer, who's standing it the vocal booth, controlling Reaper from a tablet, while the main console, running Reaper, is located in another room or even at the other floor.

Or you can tell the same to the musicians, who are playing live and all five of them are controlling their monitoring signals and FX plugin parameters in Reaper, which is running on the PC, inside the sound engineer's booth, located across the auditorium.

Did I forgot to mention, that the sound engineer is also recording the concert in Reaper, at the same time?

And for those, who want to get access to Reaper from their device quickly, Reaper devs even created Reaper Web Control..../QUOTE]

All good reasons for them to INCLUDE bluetooth capabilities.

Not to require it.

You really don't see the difference? Dude ....
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #544
Kypresso

Quote:
Thanks.

That's looks good on the surface, but I literally stopped reading as soon as I saw "requires bluetooth to operate."
I'm a bit baffled here, where does it say it requires bluetooth to operate?

As far as i'm aware Lemur uses wifi not bluetooth?
Kypresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #545
poetnprophet

Geoff, would I be able to use something like this to pull data from the console and map the button data?

https://www.noterepeat.com/articles/...-a-midi-device

I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that has this info, so wondering if there's a way I can pull that data for you and give you a printout or something?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #546
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Geoff, would I be able to use something like this to pull data from the console and map the button data?

https://www.noterepeat.com/articles/...-a-midi-device

I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that has this info, so wondering if there's a way I can pull that data for you and give you a printout or something?
Yes, after you get tired of searching you can do it the hard way

You need an entry for each control -- like Mute1 90 08 00-7f

Mute1 names the button on the surface.

You can name it anything you want, but of course sensible names like Mute1, as opposed to say Giraffe, generally work better

The next numbers are the midi message.

The first 2 uniquely identify the switch and the last one is a range, in this case, on and off.

You need an entry like that for every control that puts out a midi message.

A lot of work, if you can find the info somewhere it's way easier, but you can get the job done using Midi-Ox.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #547
poetnprophet

Ok thanks. I don't mind doing the work if it means helping to bring more function. I have searched quite a bit in the ways I know how, so it's either work here or work there. It might take me a week, maybe two I think at most, would that fit your timeline?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #548
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Ok thanks. I don't mind doing the work if it means helping to bring more function. I have searched quite a bit in the ways I know how, so it's either work here or work there. It might take me a week, maybe two I think at most, would that fit your timeline?
Take your time, maps can be easily added, changed, or removed at anytime, they are not tied to software releases.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #549
poetnprophet

Ha, ok. Still I am anxious so I'll try to deliver soon. Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #550
poetnprophet

hey Geoff, take a look at these files, let me know if this is what you're looking for? This is just some of the console, I can do more if this is the right format.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VS700 maps.zip (6.4 KB, 136 views)
Old 01-24-2018, 03:16 AM   #551
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
hey Geoff, take a look at these files, let me know if this is what you're looking for? This is just some of the console, I can do more if this is the right format.
Wow, you're working WAY too hard !!

I guess one of the most important things for everyone to remember when they're making templates is that all these midi messages have nothing to do with music.

That's why we prefer hex notation, to emphasize the fact that this is NOT musical information.

All of these type controllers leverage the midi capability to send and receive CONTROL signals (e.g. Play button pressed) and NOT musical notes (C#3).

So note number, velocity, on/off have no meaning here.

Because of that, you don't need discrete values either, you just need ranges.

You will notice some numbers change and some don't as you press/release/rotate, etc.

The numbers that change are the range.

Let's do some examples from your docs:

--------------------------------
More compact notation:

mute
002073CA 4 -- 90 10 7F 1 E 0 Note On
0020743A 4 -- 90 10 00 1 E 0 Note Off

becomes:

Mute 90 10 00-7F

arm
00206D38 4 -- 90 00 7F 1 C -1 Note On
00206DB8 4 -- 90 00 00 1 C -1 Note Off

becomes:

RecArm 90 00 00-7F

You need just the low and high of the fader:

Fader track 1 up/down
001FFF21 4 -- E0 50 00 1 --- Pitch Bend
001FFF2A 4 -- 90 68 7F 1 G# 7 Note On
001FFF2A 4 -- E0 10 01 1 --- Pitch Bend
0020068C 4 -- E0 00 00 1 --- Pitch Bend
00200840 4 -- 90 68 00 1 G# 7 Note Off

becomes:

Fader E0 00-7F 00-7F

and for the fader touch:

001FFF2A 4 -- 90 68 7F 1 G# 7 Note On
00200840 4 -- 90 68 00 1 G# 7 Note Off

becomes:

FaderTouch 90 68 00-7F

Usually no need to do more than one of any channel control

Best to use just alphabetic characters -- no /, (, +, etc.

gain/level 2 down/up
000DCA5D 4 -- B0 19 41 1 --- Control Change
000DCAC4 4 -- B0 19 41 1 --- Control Change
000DCB1E 4 -- B0 19 41 1 --- Control Change
000DCB7E 4 -- B0 19 41 1 --- Control Change
000DCEA6 4 -- B0 19 01 1 --- Control Change
000DCECF 4 -- B0 19 01 1 --- Control Change
000DCEF8 4 -- B0 19 01 1 --- Control Change
000DCF26 4 -- B0 19 01 1 --- Control Change
000DCFA3 4 -- B0 19 01 1 --- Control Change

becomes:

Gain2 B0 19 01-41

BTW this is more or less based on the MCU so:

Faders generally start with 'E' -- E0, E1, E2, etc.

Rotaries generally start with 'B0' -- B0 10, B0 11, etc.

Switches generally start with '90' -- 90 00, 90 01, etc.

Perhaps try just a few this way and get back to me just to be sure you're on track...

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 01-24-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:54 AM   #552
azslow3

For BT/WiFi. Many drivers for that classes of devices for bad written (at least for Windows), producing DPC relevant delays. I guess everyone who has traced the problem down to particular BT/WiFi, has made general conclusion these technologies should be avoided on a DAW PC. For that reason, many are using external WiFi AP devices connected throw Ethernet.
As with any technology, there is no general "compatibility" problem with BT/WiFi. They usually have higher latency then wired connection and more important greater probability of re-transmission (random extra latency). But that has NO effect on the level of Control Surface speed, usually not even on the level of MIDI performance speed.

For VS700. There is original Cakewalk source-code (on github), obviously with all messages and processing. Not easy to interpret without ACT API knowledge, but I can help in case there are particular questions.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:12 AM   #553
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post

For VS700. There is original Cakewalk source-code (on github), obviously with all messages and processing. Not easy to interpret without ACT API knowledge, but I can help in case there are particular questions.
I've also found those sources, today, as well as your messages at Cakewalk forum. But, couldn't find midi mapping cheatsheet:
https://github.com/Cakewalk/Cakewalk...Surfaces/VS700
Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #554
poetnprophet

Ok, thanks for the info. Honestly I have no clue what the data means so I'm just copying and pasting. Figured I should stop and let you see before I kept going, but I did get carried away. This will help. I'll check in later this week.
Cheers
Old 01-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #555
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the info. Honestly I have no clue what the data means so I'm just copying and pasting. Figured I should stop and let you see before I kept going, but I did get carried away. This will help. I'll check in later this week.
Cheers
This might be the right document: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctagybfjct...VS_MI.pdf?dl=0
Old 01-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #556
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Cheers
Cool, using the examples from the post above, you should end up with something that looks very simple, like this:

Fader E0 00-7F 00-7F
Mute 90 10 00-7F
RecArm 90 00 00-7F
Gain2 B0 19 01-41

If this is in any way confusing, please get back to me before you start, want to make this as simple as possible for you
Old 01-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #557
poetnprophet

I think I get it. I'll try again later today or tomorrow. The fader is where I might have issues.

Also, aside from the obvious track controls and transport, there's lots of buttons that are more sonar specific (such as AudioSnap). Should I still label them as they are on the control surface, or...?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #558
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I think I get it. I'll try again later today or tomorrow. The fader is where I might have issues.

Also, aside from the obvious track controls and transport, there's lots of buttons that are more sonar specific (such as AudioSnap). Should I still label them as they are on the control surface, or...?
Don't worry about the faders you've already given them to me E0 00 00 , etc.
They're exactly the MCU mappings.

The most important ones will be the "odd" ones, ones specific to your surface.

You give a perfect example: AudioSnap

The requirement for success is good naming convention.

So, IMHO, I believe whenever possible, the name should be exactly what is printed on the surface -- e.g. AudioSnap.

That way folks will be able to share maps easily.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #559
Geoff Waddington

Ok, first shot at GUI.

Tried to keep the flavour of Reaper control surface config.

The Add/Edit/Remove buttons will bring up secondary dialogs to configure things.

For instance, the Add button on Real surface will bring up a dialog where you can enter Name, number of channels, midi in, midi out, template(MCU, X Touch, etc.).

Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #560
_Stevie_

Hey Geoff!

As I mentioned some months ago, I'm using the Steinberg CMC-series.
For basic stuff like action list commands they work pretty well.
One of the downsides is: I don't get visual feedback (e.g. bypassing the insert FX for example does not light up the LED on the device). However, I think the sysex commands, that trigger the LED are documented. Does it make sense to wait for the pre-alpha or would I be covered by coding something in OSCIIBot?
(I'm only talking about basic stuff like open VSTi, bypass FX, pan, etc...)