Old 03-12-2019, 04:56 AM   #1
Cranky Emu
Human being with feelings

Default Changing tempo of a sample

Hi all;

I've decided to go out on a limb and attempt to make a song purely from samples and loops, just for fun.

The issue I am having is some of the loops are of a higher bpm than the rest, the song is 119bpm but some loops are a lot faster.

Is there a way I can slow the loops down to 119bpm painlessly?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
vdubreeze

There are several ways of making the loop adhere to the project tempo, but I find most of what I have don't have the tempo embedded. So what I find easiest is to simply take a loop of xyz BPM of whatever length, say 2 bars, and, placing it on a downbeat, in grid mode, option drag the right edge so that it snaps to what the project's tempo says is 2 bars.

If the item is defaulting to "Preserve pitch when changing rate" it will stay at pitch. It that's unchecked it will change pitch accordingly, which you may or may not want but over longer time changes will not have the artifacts that the former will have once you get to big changes.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
There are several ways of making the loop adhere to the project tempo, but I find most of what I have don't have the tempo embedded. So what I find easiest is to simply take a loop of xyz BPM of whatever length, say 2 bars, and, placing it on a downbeat, in grid mode, option drag the right edge so that it snaps to what the project's tempo says is 2 bars.

If the item is defaulting to "Preserve pitch when changing rate" it will stay at pitch. It that's unchecked it will change pitch accordingly, which you may or may not want but over longer time changes will not have the artifacts that the former will have once you get to big changes.
Thanks for your reply VDU. I probably should have explained that I am not a musician by any stretch of the imagination - having said that I did 'start' to learn drums at school many moons ago, and played guitar (not so well) for a little while and then moved onto keyboards which I can play very basic (and I mean basic) stuff on. Maybe I should point out I have forgotten how to read music as well

This project is nothing serious, I am just playing around, bit of a challenge to see if I can come up with something listenable!

I will try your suggestion and see how I go, thanks for the help thus far.