Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #681
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

+1 on the MUTE SENDS and BYPASS FX
Old 03-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #682
phasewalker

Default ReaControl24 OSC client - feedback

Hi, I've implemented ReaControl24 using the OSC csurf plugin, and there were a few things that cropped up that I'd really love to see in there:
  • Project open / close signals: bracketing the group of OSC messages that result
  • Dump state: re-send the group of OSC messages similar to when a project opens
  • Echo capability: for some commands, enable an 'echo' message once the DAW confirms action has been taken place (specifically TRACK_VOLUME)
  • Arbitrary state: to enable state objects not specifically bound to an action, to keep the control surface 'dumb' as possible
  • Test panel: like the 'listen' dialog in reverse, allow a quick/easy send of an OSC message
  • Debug mode/feedback: when the Reaper.OSC file entries are incorrect, badly mapped etc. to have some feedback from the csurf of what is wrong e.g. Float parameter expected, got string; Action does not exist.
  • Midi style values: things like rotary centre begin 64 in a 1 byte value

That's all on top of my head for now. I must say Reaper.OSC has been great to work with, I'm really glad to have chosen it as a way forward for my project.
phasewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #683
Teddy

Hi, phasewalker

Great work on the ReaControl 24. I think you can do an OSC dump using the "Control surface: refresh all surfaces" action. Let me know if it works or not.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:52 AM   #684
vinx

Default vkb osc

Does someone here managed to get osc messages to trigger the virtual keyboard? (send midi note via osc)
I'm using touch osc, reaper is listening to the command as stated in the documentation but nothing happens.
vinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #685
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinx View Post
Does someone here managed to get osc messages to trigger the virtual keyboard? (send midi note via osc)
I'm using touch osc, reaper is listening to the command as stated in the documentation but nothing happens.
If you mean MIDI capability of TouchOSC... it is working throw different from "normal" OSC connection and requires original "MIDI Bridge Connection" daemon (theoretically it can work with other bridges, but practically I have got a feeling TouchOSC use non standard byte order when transferring MIDI over OSC).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:47 AM   #686
vinx

No, I mean osc message triggering the virtual keyboard, reaper seems to allow it (see default osc configuration).
I have trouble using midibridge as I'm already using copperlan and it seems they're not compatible (midibridge is working only when I deactivate copperlan services).
Old 04-10-2018, 04:45 AM   #687
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinx View Post
No, I mean osc message triggering the virtual keyboard, reaper seems to allow it (see default osc configuration).
I have trouble using midibridge as I'm already using copperlan and it seems they're not compatible (midibridge is working only when I deactivate copperlan services).
That should work (I have not tested with TouchOSC, but with another OSC client).
Note that in this case the control should send:
/vkb_midi/0/note/64 100
To trigger note 64 on channel 0 with velocity 100. And then
/vkb_midi/0/note/64 0
So NOT what TouchOSC call "MIDI over OSC".
Old 04-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #688
vinx

ok it is working: I had the velocity wrong, it was triggering between 0 and 1. Now with 0 to 127 that's fine.
Thanks!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #689
Gerrit

Default OSC bug: s/fxparam/@/value/str contains float instead of string value

The OSC feedback for plugin parameters contains a float value instead of a string value when the parameter is a continuous parameter. For discrete parameters the correct string value is sent.
Example for UAD EMT140 plugin:
Code:
	Plate		B
	Damping A	2.2 s
	Damping B	1.7 s
	Damping C	1.2 s
	EQ		Out
	LFreq		0.2200
	LGain		-8.5 dB
	HFreq		1.0000
	HGain		0.0 dB
	PreDly		0.1950
	ModRate		0.0000
	ModDepth	0.0000
	Width		1.0000
	WetSolo		Solo
	Mix		0.2474
	LowCut		M 90Hz
The feedback for FX_PARAM_NAME s/fxparam/@/name and FX_PARAM_VALUE s/fxparam/@/value/str is shown. All continuous parameters contain a float value with four decimal places instead of a string intended for presentation, all discrete parameters contain the correct string value. In the plugin parameter view the continuous parameters are displayed as a slider with a float value next to it, the discrete parameters are displayed as select controls containing string values.

This issue also affects (is related to) the display of the track controls:
EMT140param.png
All discrete parameters are displayed correct, all continuous parameters contain a float value where a string value should be displayed.
Gerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:23 AM   #690
ke_

Default Relative encoders

I've found that rotary encoders (relative) are only supported for scrub and tempo. Is this correct? Could we please have OSC messages to increment and decrement fxparams using r/ rotary messages?
ke_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #691
dtsmarin

Default Add Color Support for OSC

I use Open Stage Control for a touchscreen mixer which works really well but I need some extra functionality to make it even more awesome.

I think a smart move would be to add a secondary track color option inside Reaper that uses Color HEX. Since Open Stage Control uses CSS this would make things far easier.
Add an OSC address with this color HEX value so that I can finally have track color in touch mixer.
dtsmarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #692
kovarny

Default Web interface

I have a bug in the web interface.
One track is active for recording, but it reports "no tracks are armed"

If I create 2 or more tracks this bug goes away. So I can't start recording with one track only.

...And сan anyone explain what function this button does??
kovarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #693
supersg559

Default Control track VU via OSC

I have a feature request: I would like to be able to control track (and master) VU via the /track/@/vu OSC message. I have an outboard audio processor. It does it's calculations and manages audio outputs, but sends control and diagnostic (e.g. audio levels, vu information) back to Reaper. Reaper is doing some audio processing on some tracks (as per the usual usecase), and other tracks show information from, and allow the outboard audio processor to be controlled. clearly. Thank you.
supersg559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:12 AM   #694
ChuckkH

Default Send FX param name before value

Hi.
Interestingly, a search of the forums for the term "OSC" returned no posts at all, but I found this thread. I hope it's still active.

Problem: No matter how I alter the ReaperOSC file, the feedback message for LAST_TOUCHED_FX_PARAM_VALUE sends *before* LAST_TOUCHED_FX_PARAM_NAME, regardless of their order in the file. I'm trying to monitor which FX parameters are being changed, and finding out which parameter it is *after* the value makes things complicated. I'd have to add a delay to make sure it's the parameter I think it is, and when it happens for all those parameters to be moving all over the place in a complicated project, it will be impossible to know which is which.

AFAIK, OSC also actually allows for an arbitrary number of values to be included in one message, of arbitrary types. It could send an int, a string, and a float, one after the other, all in the same message. I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind sending exactly one value for each message, but to be able to do anything with these feedback messages, it'll be very, very complicated having just one piece of information at a time.
Still, if Reaper would at least send the name of the parameter before its value, I'd be grateful!

Thank you!
ChuckkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:47 AM   #695
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckkH View Post
Hi.
Interestingly, a search of the forums for the term "OSC" returned no posts at all,
The forum seach function is abysmal. E.g. it needs at least four letters for a search word.

Better use Google e.g. -> https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...49:mlcbfn-mmvk

... and maybe -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210446 might help.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:48 AM   #696
lahayim

Default Cannot Find OSC config file

Hey all,

I cannot seem to find the default OSC pattern config file.

In the help page on reaper.fm: https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/osc/osc.ph...pattern_config
says the following
"To open the default pattern config file folder, select "open config directory" under "pattern config" in the OSC control surface settings dialog."

But I don't see this option anywhere in my OSC control surface settings dialog (see attachment).
I'm running Reaper 5.965 on OSX 10.12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg osc-preferences.jpg (51.0 KB, 332 views)
lahayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 AM   #697
lahayim

Default Overview of OSC messages sent out by Reaper?

Hey all,

I'm putting together a music setup using Reaper and SuperCollider together. But I'm struggling to find documentation on Reaper's OSC capabilities.

Especially, I want to find an overview of the OSC messages sent out BY Reaper. A few very useful output messages I'm looking for are:

* track names and positions at project initialization
* track names and positions when a track is moved to a new position
* messages sent by Reaper during playback when a timeline marker is reached

Does any of this sound possible, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

best,
J
lahayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #698
ke_

On mac its accessed via Menu Bar, Options--->Show REAPER Resource Path. In the OSC folder you will find the Default OSC config. All of your ideas are possible, hopefully you will be able to figure it out by studying the config file.
ke_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #699
tydbowl

Default FW: Project Notes

It would be great if Reaper could sent Project Notes to a OSC device!
tydbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #700
netphreak

When switching fxparam bank, last value is not sent from Reaper. Let's say I have set DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT 100:

/device/track/select i 3
/device/fx/select i 2
/device/fxparam/bank/+

The last line will make Reaper send:

100 x ****/name
100 x ****/value/str
99 x ****/value

Making fxparam bank switching useless.
netphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #701
netphreak

Oh, and...

Why isn't "path" returned in OSC always full? I really can't see any reason to send relative paths from Reaper. Please:

/track/2/fx/1/fxparam/99/value/str
instead of
/fxparam/99/value/str

Last edited by netphreak; 07-22-2019 at 06:41 AM.
netphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #702
musicbynumbers

Am I doing something wrong or is it insane trying to get the right OSC parameter to be the last thing the Learn "box" sees?

By this I mean, If I've got something crazy like a leapmotion sending out all fingers and positions all the time then trying to pick out one finger is torturous!

Same with Midi too!

Devs, Please let us input either OSC names or Midi names into the learn text box please!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 07-30-2019 at 02:32 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #703
schoko

Default Peak levels of Track

Like asked here, a way that reaper is sending the peaklevel per track like can be seen in the reaper mix window..

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=226077

thanks
schoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #704
MusicMan74

Default OSC Actions with ID values < 1000 ignored on Reaper v5.985+

Can someone please confirm this? Or explain what's going on? Thanks in advance.

Starting with Reaper v5.985+ (including 6.03rc1), the software ignores actions unless the action ID value is greater than 1000. Note that Reaper v5.984 works as expected.

Steps to reproduce behavior:

1. Add dummy track.

2. Under Options-> Preferences, add OSC 'Local Port [receive only]'

3. Download simple command line EXE utility 'SENDOSC'
https://github.com/yoggy/sendosc/rel...-win-1.0.2.zip

4. Send 'Toggle Repeat' action:

C:\Portable\sendosc>C:\Portable\sendosc\sendosc.ex e localhost 8000 /action i 1068

WORKS!

5. Select dummy track.

6. Send 'Track: Mute/unmute tracks'

C:\Portable\sendosc>C:\Portable\sendosc\sendosc.ex e localhost 8000 /action i 40280

WORKS!

7. Send 'Track: Toggle record arm for selected tracks'

C:\Portable\sendosc>C:\Portable\sendosc\sendosc.ex e localhost 8000 /action i 9

DOES NOTHING (but works as expected in v 5.984)

8. Send 'Track: Toggle FX bypass for last touched track'

C:\Portable\sendosc>C:\Portable\sendosc\sendosc.ex e localhost 8000 /action i 816

DOES NOTHING (but works as expected in v 5.984)

Last edited by MusicMan74; 01-08-2020 at 07:14 PM.
MusicMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:12 AM   #705
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan74 View Post
Can someone please confirm this? Or explain what's going on? Thanks in advance.
This seems to work fine here.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #706
MusicMan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This seems to work fine here.
Thank you for taking the time to review.

I am curious how you sent the OSC commands (which tool) so that I might be able to replicate (success) on my end...
Old 01-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #707
azslow3

I see the same effect with my own OSC implementation (so works over 1000 but not under).
Old 01-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #708
MusicMan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
I see the same effect with my own OSC implementation (so works over 1000 but not under).
Thanks for reporting this.

azslow3, can you please try using version 5.984 (portable install as to not screw up your existing setup) and see if OSC values < 1000 work?

https://www.reaper.fm/files/5.x/reap...64-install.exe
(I assume you are running 64-bit windows)

FYI all released 5.x version installations can be found here:
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=5x
Old 01-09-2020, 03:27 AM   #709
azslow3

I have tried to reproduce on another computer, under Linix and Windows (in VM). Everything works as expected with all versions I have tried.

I will repeat the test at home later today. REAPER is the same (latest stable), OSC utility is the same (my own). Really strange...
Old 01-09-2020, 05:18 AM   #710
_Stevie_

May I ask if your OSC tool is available to the public?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #711
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
May I ask if your OSC tool is available to the public?
It is not general purpose OSC and Windows only. And it is not open source. But public/free to use: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,352.0.html

I use "Debug" dialog for such tests, one "name" and one "parameter" (no complicated messages). It prints everything received. Custom XML can be written to support particular OSC software/hardware (included is XML for RME TotalMix).
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #712
MusicMan74

Quote:
It is not general purpose OSC and Windows only. And it is not open source. But public/free to use: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,352.0.html

I use "Debug" dialog for such tests, one "name" and one "parameter" (no complicated messages). It prints everything received. Custom XML can be written to support particular OSC software/hardware (included is XML for RME TotalMix).
@azslow3 Thanks for sharing your application.
I used the tool's 'Debug' mode to test...

A)
Address: /action
Parameter 40042

Reaper v6.02 correctly moves cursor to start of project

B) (1 of 3 empty project tracks selected with mouse)
Parameter 9

Ignored by REAPER v6.02
does NOT arm selected track for recording

Quote:

C) (1 of 3 empty project tracks selected with mouse)
Parameter 9

Processed correctly by REAPER v5.984
arms selected track for recording

These tests (along with my previous ones) would seem to suggest something changed/broke affecting ActionIds < 1000, starting with Reaper v5.985+

Hopefully this will be addressed...

@_Stevie_ could you kindly weigh in / also test?

Edit:
I have the same behavior (<1000 fails) on a FRESH Win10x64 VM (VirtualBox) with a FRESH portable install of v6.02 using three OSC client tools:

1. sendosc (https://github.com/yoggy/sendosc)
https://github.com/yoggy/sendosc/rel...-win-1.0.2.zip

2. oscer (http://github.com/aike/oscer)
https://github.com/aike/oscer/blob/m...ws64/oscer.exe

3. Azslow3's azaosc.exe

Last edited by MusicMan74; 01-09-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #713
_Stevie_

Thanks man! Didn't know about this
Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #714
azslow3

It starts puzzle me more and more...

I can not execute under 1000 IDs in ANY version at home desktop (Windows 10, all updates) (randomly tried 5.61, it had different GUI for OSC). But I can execute them in ANY version on notebook at work, including Linux and Windows 10 (not sure about updates) VM.

Note that standard OSC also accepts "/action/1007". So, action ID as a part of the name (as string). And sure, 1007 works in this case as well. But nothing under 1000.

Note that "OSC: Listening" reports everything correctly:
/action [i] 9
/action/9
But nothing happens on the REAPER side.

So my current conclusion that is a system influenced bug in REAPER. Only devs can check how that is possible (what exactly can produce such behavior).

EDIT: can it be somehow focus related? I would expect if "play" works, record arm should also work. But that can be just a subjective opinion

Last edited by azslow3; 01-09-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #715
MusicMan74

@azslow3: Thanks for the useful feedback.

Quote:
EDIT: can it be somehow focus related? I would expect if "play" works, record arm should also work. But that can be just a subjective opinion
Your idea about 'focus' being the issue got me thinking to try AutoHotKey to trigger an OSC command from a 'hot key', where an action ID is sent without the Reaper main window losing focus...

i.e. remap.ahk

F9::
Run C:\Portable\sendosc\sendosc.exe localhost 8000 /action/9 ,,Hide

F12::
Run C:\Portable\sendosc\sendosc.exe localhost 8000 /action/40042 ,,Hide

but, same result: F9 works, F12 does not

The mystery continues...
Old 01-10-2020, 03:52 AM   #716
azslow3

New move: I have partially uncovered the "mystery" on notebook/VM!

I managed to make 2 portables with REAPER 6.02 64bit there, in one /action/9 works and in another does not. So...

SWS! What is funny, on the instance where SWS is installed, /action/9 WORKS

On the instance where SWS is NOT installed, it does not work

The same with Linux version. So that is not platform dependent.

It can happened I have tested without SWS at home...
Old 01-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #717
MusicMan74

Quote:
On the instance where SWS is NOT installed, it does not work
Brilliant discovery! Thank you!

I can confirm here that once SWS is installed all ActionIDs via OSC run on v6.02

Last edited by MusicMan74; 01-10-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #718
Sweetfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
1) Add API function to trigger OSC messages to external device (address, #stringvalue, int value),
2) Add API function to get OSC messages while defer function works (address).

For me it close any mess with osc layout editing - have an address, have a aim for this address and backwards, thats it.
Feature request
+1 for these!
Sweetfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #719
Tonegrown

Default DANGEROUS BUG? Accendentally Turned send up to 329db using OSC

So I was working on programming my Reaper control Setup just now in pure data. I had a number in the wrong place and accidentally sent a value of 500 to /track/40/send/1/volume To my surprise I got the most intense digital clipping i have ever heard from reaper. Thankfully my speakers weren't up too high!

My assumption would be that the reaper mixer should be programmed to only accept OSC input values up to +12 (which in OSC = 1) on a fader which is what the fader max is, but sure enough in reaper it actually displayed something like 329db for that send fader.

Well interesting, I can key in any value i want in reaper for the Send Fader on a track.

Is this expected behavior?
Tonegrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:34 AM   #720
phunkyg

I would dearly love to be able to debug the OSC Control Surface plugin.
I took over from Phasewalker on the ReaControl project.

When it comes to the OSC interaction with Reaper, it is great, but sometimes it is a bit of a black box.

Could we get a debug tickbox or something that shows what's going on under the hood when things aren't working?
phunkyg is offline   Reply With Quote