Old 02-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
kevint89
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper asking for midi keyboard - midi nooby

Sorry in advance if this is a bit mundane. Not being a keyboard player but wanting to try one with Reaper I recently got a small 25 note Akai MPK mini and followed all instructions and videos and have been able to connect and record from the keyboard via USB cable and through VST kybds programs.
My thinking was just to use kybd occasionally and disconnect when not required.
When I do this , Reaper puts up an error message at login saying it can't connect to MPK mini (not surprising as it's not plugged in all the time). Do I have to Disable the keyboard after every active session or is there a way to get around the error messages when I login to a project which doesn't require keyboards.
If I missed something obvious please be lenient!
kevint89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint89 View Post
Sorry in advance if this is a bit mundane. Not being a keyboard player but wanting to try one with Reaper I recently got a small 25 note Akai MPK mini and followed all instructions and videos and have been able to connect and record from the keyboard via USB cable and through VST kybds programs.
My thinking was just to use kybd occasionally and disconnect when not required.
When I do this , Reaper puts up an error message at login saying it can't connect to MPK mini (not surprising as it's not plugged in all the time). Do I have to Disable the keyboard after every active session or is there a way to get around the error messages when I login to a project which doesn't require keyboards.
If I missed something obvious please be lenient!
It's giving you a warning that there is an issue with your setup. I would not worry about it since you know about it.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 AM   #3
kevint89

Thanks for your reply Curtis. Yes...I understand that but thought there might be some way to cancel or prevent the error messages without having the keyboard plugged in and switched on all the time. Once set up, do other users leave their keyboards /controllers permanently plugged into USB ports to avoid these error notifications or have I set up something wrongly?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
40Hurts

I don't think you've set it up incorrectly, but I understand it can be annoying to have the error message keep popping up. I have a Kat drum pad controller connected through an X-Touch, and the Kat has an auto-shutoff "feature" after 5-10 min of inactivity. I get the same message if I try and do anything in Reaper when the Kat is powered off.

The only "fix" is to disable your controller in Prefs/Audio/Midi Devices if you're not using it. Otherwise, Reaper will keep looking for it and throwing the error message. Because this is a global preference, you'll need to enable/disable your controller for each project as necessary.
40Hurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
kevint89

Hi 40Hurts, Thanks so much for your reply .That's pretty much exactly what's happening here. The error message keeps repeating at intervals as long as the keyboard
is disconnected. I guess (as you suggest).....the only solution will be to disable the kbrd in Prefs and only enable when I intend to connect and use.

Many thanks for confirming this.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
xpoes

To get rid of the message, go to Preferences / Audio, and then uncheck "Warn when unable to open MIDI devices".
Old 02-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
kevint89

Thanks very much Xpoes. That sounds exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find!!

Many thanks for your input.

Regards

Kevin