Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-12-2020, 01:54 AM   #41
Eraz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb7 View Post
On my system (two 1080 screens ) all very smoothly even with 200 tracks with or without mixer open.
If I may say... 10fps on any software UI doesn't necessarily feel laggy. Everyone has a different bias on how screen lag interferes with their work. The problem I have with Sektor is more to do with annoying mini screen freezes than slow fps.
You need to try it on a 4k display. On 1080 screens everything works super smooth also for me.
Eraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #42
The Bunker

Did the OP ever resolve this? I also have laggy UI and want to know if there is a solution to this?
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #43
blumpy

Default Yes!

I have this very same issue but never put it together with the 4k monitor. My main arrangement display is a 4k 43" monitor. When I get to a couple hundred tracks the gui slows to a crawl. Hiding tracks is the only way to fix the gui lag, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having so much screen real estate.

I'll see if this issue goes away when set to 1440 or 1080.

on a sidenote, one of the guys I work with exports midi from DP. His template is 1000+ tracks. Most are blank, but nonetheless, importing that many tracks brings the Reaper GUI to its knees. I have to hide all the tracks, then go through in chunks unhide and delete the blank tracks to make it manageable. What that many blank midi channels is an issue... I have no idea. But a fix for this would be life changing.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Even with most recent Reaper? Because there have been some pretty heavy optimizations in this part some time ago... I can easily have about 6000 tracks now without things falling over... Granted, not on a 4K monitor.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #45
blumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Even with most recent Reaper? Because there have been some pretty heavy optimizations in this part some time ago... I can easily have about 6000 tracks now without things falling over... Granted, not on a 4K monitor.
Yes. I just did a test on my threadripper workstation with 2 x 4k monitors and 2 x 1080 monitors.

I tried to create 1000 empty tracks. The system completely hangs. 50%+ CPU activity across all cores and threads for 5-10 minutes and the tracks haven't been created. I tried moving the arrangement window to one of the 1080 screen. Same issue. If you have a 4k monitor the system has large track count issues.

On my little 4 core laptop at 1080 (obviously only one monitor) creating 1000 empty tracks is nearly instant.

Last edited by blumpy; 04-18-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #46
EvilDragon

Thankfully I don't need a 4K monitor so I don't have that issue...
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:08 PM   #47
_Stevie_

Most helpful answer ever, ED.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #48
blumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks, I've now tested with your ini, and it's still fine here.

Can you test without any MIDI devices open and without any control surfaces configured? Also, test with using WaveOut and a 1024 sample blocksize (rather than ASIO)?

Additionally: try going to preferences/buffering, unchecking auto-detect the number of threads, and manually enter something like 4. (what was it detecting? 16?).
Hi Justin,

I'm on windows 10. My threadripper system with 4k displays hangs just creating 1000 blank tracks. I have the same issue just importing large midi projects. My cheap little windows laptop is fine doing the same task. Any idea why?
Old 04-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #49
blumpy

Default Update

After trying several of Justin's recommendation it seems any implementation of Mackie Control is causing the large track count issues on my main system. For me, this has nothing to do with 4k displays.

Klinke, the built in MCU, etc, all seem to slow session with large track counts.

OSC does not have this issue. So it looks like my Lemur app is going to have to replace my control surface for now.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #50
_Stevie_

That's very good info, thanks for finding out!
Old 04-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #51
blumpy

Default MCU info

After a bit of trial and error the Driven by Moss works for controlling an MCU control surface without the laggy interface with large track counts on my system. I can't speak for others.

Here's the Driven by Moss website.

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html
Old 12-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #52
nexeu

I found another cause of this. When you've installed so many ReaPack repositories, it lags like crazy if you have over a hundred of tracks.
nexeu is offline   Reply With Quote