Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #121
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
Can you still purchase this as a download?
It's available from Safari, possibly elsewhere, but of course be aware if you get it on-line you won't get the CD with sample files, etc.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #122
Guitarist4u36
Human being with feelings

Default Noob here....Just downloaded Reaper Yesterday!!!!

Nicolas,
I just wanted to chime in here if you don't mind. First, I want to say that I just joined the Reaper forum and I want to say HI to everyone here and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!!!
While I'm not really a beginner to recording in general, I am a beginner to Computer based DAWs. In the past, I've always done everything pretty much "old school" if you will...working with workstations like the Roland VS2480, etc. Even though you can edit media files and such with those, I still never dug too deep into it. I just tried to always get the best takes I could and work from there. So, even though the thought of learning a DAW is somewhat overwhelming, I'm really looking forward to learning the craft.
I chose REAPER to start for several reasons. One being all the positive feedback I've read and another for the incredible value!!! I have lost many hairs trying to decide which DAW software to use...and I'm sure I'm not alone!!! lol.
Anyway, the main reason I replied to this thread. I just wanted to say that the first thing I did was buy a copy of this book. So far...and I'm not into it too deep..like 50 pages or so, but it has really been helpful and (insert drum roll here) I can actually UNDERSTAND it!!! lol
I love the way you try to teach at a level where a beginner can grasp it! So often the computer mumble-jumbo and technical terminology that's written in these books is so overwhelming that all you want to do is throw the book in the corner and give up. So, I thank you for approaching this book the way you have.
I have a question as well. I'm running Reaper on an Apple Imac. A lot of the book is based around windows, understandably. I have windows machines as well, so some stuff has been as easy as interpreting windows apps to mac apps. But I was wondering if you have, or would suggest, any tutorials that, if used along with this book, might help make the interpreting easier and faster. I'm only concerned that the deeper I get into Reaper, the more I'm going to wish I had something of that sort.
Anyway, I'll shut this long winded post down now...lol.
Thanks again!!!

Dino*
Ebay name: KaddyKidd67, 2- Fender American Deluxe 3-pup Telecasters,1- Fender James Burton Signature Telecaster, 2- Fender Python Hot Rod Deluxes,1- Carvin Acoustic-Electric, 1- Martin D-45V, Line 6 M13s, Pedaltrain Pros, Lava Cables, GHS Strings, Dunlop Picks
Guitarist4u36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #123
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist4u36 View Post
I have a question as well. I'm running Reaper on an Apple Imac. A lot of the book is based around windows, understandably. I have windows machines as well, so some stuff has been as easy as interpreting windows apps to mac apps. But I was wondering if you have, or would suggest, any tutorials that, if used along with this book, might help make the interpreting easier and faster.
Dino, thanks for your kind remarks.

As for the Mac ... it's probably something I should ideally address, but alas seeing as I've never used a Mac I don't really feel comfortable about doings o.

The differences for the most part relate to how REAPER interfaces with the hardware and OS - things like where files are stored, sound card drivers, etc.

Once you've got them sorted, you shouldn't find too much of a problem. OS version of REAPER still doesn't quite have all the features of the Windows versions, but it's getting there ...
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #124
Guitarist4u36

Nicholas,
You're very welcome and thank you for the replied information. I guess I'm pretty much on track then at this point. I'm using a Motu 8-pre firewire unit and so far everything is working as it should. I will ask one other question (for now anyway) that you may know the answer to. Since I'm using a mac, should I set my files up as aiff or wav or does it matter since aiff is Mac's version of a wav file anyway? I may ask this question over in the mac forum section as well.
Thanks again for everything. I'll try not to bug you with too many questions...lol

Sincerely,
Dino*
Ebay name: KaddyKidd67, 2- Fender American Deluxe 3-pup Telecasters,1- Fender James Burton Signature Telecaster, 2- Fender Python Hot Rod Deluxes,1- Carvin Acoustic-Electric, 1- Martin D-45V, Line 6 M13s, Pedaltrain Pros, Lava Cables, GHS Strings, Dunlop Picks
Guitarist4u36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #125
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist4u36 View Post
Nicholas,
Since I'm using a mac, should I set my files up as aiff or wav or does it matter since aiff is Mac's version of a wav file anyway? I may ask this question over in the mac forum section as well.
Sincerely,
Dino*
Dino,
REAPER doesn't mind whether you use AIF or WAV. It treats both types with equal loving care. My gut feeling however (and that's all it is) is that you might be better to use AIF especially if using external audio editors.

But if anybody on the mac forum section tells you otherwise, believe them ahead of me.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #126
70srocker

Default Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write these instrctional books. I bought Reaper Power and ReaMix last year and the information contained in the two books is worth 10 times the price of the books! This forum is awesome but Reaper Power is a Reaper users best friend when it comes to figuring out how to do ANYTHING in Reaper.
70srocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:40 AM   #127
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70srocker View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write these instrctional books. I bought Reaper Power and ReaMix last year and the information contained in the two books is worth 10 times the price of the books! This forum is awesome but Reaper Power is a Reaper users best friend when it comes to figuring out how to do ANYTHING in Reaper.
Thank you for your kind words. Very much appreciated!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #128
No Left Turn

I recently recommended this book to someone who asked me for advice on getting into music production. Although I don't use Reaper as my primary DAW, there's just too many good things about this book [and Reaper] to not use this as a starting point. I haven't read this myself, but by judging by the reputation of this forum, I felt confident that I could rely on blind faith for this one.
No Left Turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #129
RickBlacker

Just purchased the book 10 minutes ago from Amazon.
RickBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #130
RickBlacker

Default My book came, but...

The Disk is damaged. In fact, when they bound the book, somehow they got the disk glued into the disk package... And it's cracked and what not.

What all is on the disk besides reaper? Don't need Reaper, already bought it.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #131
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlacker View Post
The Disk is damaged. In fact, when they bound the book, somehow they got the disk glued into the disk package... And it's cracked and what not.

What all is on the disk besides reaper? Don't need Reaper, already bought it.
Rick, if you'd care to PM me with your email address I'll send you the files.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #132
RickBlacker

Hi Nick...

I appreciate it, but, I took a chance and put the disk in and was able to read from it. The files I needed I was able to copy off the disk.

Thanks though.

Rick
Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #133
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlacker View Post
Hi Nick...

I appreciate it, but, I took a chance and put the disk in and was able to read from it. The files I needed I was able to copy off the disk.

Thanks though.

Rick
There you are, you see, the power of positive thinking.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #134
Willowblades

I will definitely be looking this book up in the near future as soon as I am done building my gaming rig I will be downloading/buying reaper and start my own little hobby . I have always had a fascination with music and have always wanted to create my own. Thanks for taking the time for us little guys that want to get into this hobby/business. (not sure what to call it lol).
Old 06-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #135
jj_smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Rick, if you'd care to PM me with your email address I'll send you the files.
Nicholas,

I don't suppose this offer stands to others as well?

After purchasing the SafariBooksOnline edition, getting myself properly inspired, caffeinated, and ideally situated for maximal learning, I made the sad discovery late into "Day 3" that e-books don't come with sample files.

Unfortunately, this means my burgeoning "Recording God" status will forever be stalled on "Day 3: Your First REAPER Lesson" unless you are able to find a kind spot in your heart to send me 'RosesBloom.rrp' and/or any additional sample files I may need to achieve REAPER mastery.

In return for your kindness in righting the wrongs of e-book purchases, I'm fully prepared to name a wing of my future project library in your honor, and perhaps craft a tribute sound effect (if your book teaches me how). I know it's not much.

thanks,
.jj
jj_smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #136
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_smokes View Post
Nicholas,

After purchasing the SafariBooksOnline edition, getting myself properly inspired, caffeinated, and ideally situated for maximal learning, I made the sad discovery late into "Day 3" that e-books don't come with sample files.

Unfortunately, this means my burgeoning "Recording God" status will forever be stalled on "Day 3: Your First REAPER Lesson" unless you are able to find a kind spot in your heart to send me 'RosesBloom.rrp' and/or any additional sample files I may need to achieve REAPER mastery.

In return for your kindness in righting the wrongs of e-book purchases, I'm fully prepared to name a wing of my future project library in your honor, and perhaps craft a tribute sound effect (if your book teaches me how). I know it's not much.

thanks,
.jj
PM me with your email address ....
Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #137
jmcecil

Congrats Nicholas! Getting something in print is a lot of hard work. Good luck to your book.
jmcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #138
Nobus

Default Sample files and projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_smokes View Post
Nicholas,

thanks,
.jj
Hi Nicholas,

I too have just bought this awesome book as a download from Amazon, but the sample files and projects are not included with the download. Is there a way to obtain these.

Cheers.
Nobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #139
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobus View Post
Hi Nicholas,

I too have just bought this awesome book as a download from Amazon, but the sample files and projects are not included with the download. Is there a way to obtain these.

Cheers.
Nobus, please PM me with your email address. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #140
Kenny Gioia

Sorry I'm so late to the party.

Congrats. I can't even begin to think about how much work this must have been.

I am in awe of you.

I wish you great success. You deserve it.

Thank you for your great and selfless contributions.

BTW - did you announce this on Gearslutz?

Maybe all of us that visit other forums can help you cross-promote?
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #141
Runaway

I'm late too but that's like that Tom Jones song (Its not Unusual)

Well done - damn aussies there everywhere LOL
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #142
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
BTW - did you announce this on Gearslutz?

Maybe all of us that visit other forums can help you cross-promote?
Thanks Kenny for your kind words ... to answer your question, no I haven't (too bashful ) ... be really nice if you'd like to put in a word though!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #143
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Well done - damn aussies there everywhere LOL
... and believe it or not there's even a heck of a lot of us Taswegians ... just about everyone I know down here is now using REAPER.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #144
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Thanks Kenny for your kind words ... to answer your question, no I haven't (too bashful ) ... be really nice if you'd like to put in a word though!
Too bashful????

I'm on it.

Here is the post:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...beginners.html

I edited it a bit. Let me know if you want anything changed.

Perhaps other GS members want to show that thread some love?

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 08-18-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #145
lowellben

Quote:

Some reading this will know the dramas and grief I have had with LULU. For this reason, I'm pleased to say that Course Technology are publishing this.

Just curious - but what was wrong with Lulu? I just bought your Up and Running book - outstandingly done, btw

Did they not give you what you wanted/expected? or have you had issues w/ Lulu shipping your stuff?

You don't have to share everything - but maybe a quick abridged version?

Ben
Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #146
bluzkat

Quote:
Too bashful????

I'm on it.

Here is the post:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ml#post5696539

I edited it a bit. Let me know if you want anything changed.

Perhaps other GS members want to show that thread some love?
Kenny,

Your GS link is not working (opens a *blank* page).

Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #147
Kenny Gioia

Working fine for me. Anyone else?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #148
bluzkat

Kenny,

No biggie (although I'm still getting a 'page not found' error).

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #149
tls11823

I'm also getting an error. Perhaps because I'm not a member of that board?
tls11823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #150
mabian

Quote:
"Page not found" here.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #151
Kenny Gioia

I guess that link was for being signed in. I signed out and copied the link.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...beginners.html

That should work. Sorry.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #152
ez_willis

Quote:
That should work. Sorry.
nope. and i'm waiting to copy your post to pimp it at homerecordingdotcom.
ez_willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #153
mabian

Link doesn't work even when logged; this works for me, even when unlogged:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/f9/ho...rs-520870.html

BTW, nasty reply you got as first follow up :\

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #154
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Thanks Kenny, works fine for me!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #155
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
BTW, nasty reply you got as first follow up :\

- Mario
Yes, quite nasty. Seems a strange thing for someone to be critical of something that they haven't actually read! I suspect this is a guy with a grudge against Course Technology ...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #156
weightedwithhercries

Default license agreement

Hey I am a current user of Reaper and I am looking at getting Pro Tools M-Powered as well. Here's my question: I am thinking of buying pro tools from a friend but I know that pro tools is very strict about their software licenses. If he were to uninstall it from his computer and sell it to me, would I be able to install it on mine? I have no idea if this is possible or what loops I might have to jump through. Or would the best thing be to just buy it new myself?
Thanks.
weightedwithhercries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #157
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weightedwithhercries View Post
Hey I am a current user of Reaper and I am looking at getting Pro Tools M-Powered as well. Here's my question: I am thinking of buying pro tools from a friend but I know that pro tools is very strict about their software licenses. If he were to uninstall it from his computer and sell it to me, would I be able to install it on mine? I have no idea if this is possible or what loops I might have to jump through. Or would the best thing be to just buy it new myself?
Thanks.
You should probably check the Pro Tools website and see if they allow licenses to be transfered.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #158
Riqiv

Default Dear Geoffrey/Nicholas

I absolutely love Reaper and combined with the help of people on this forum I bought it and am having much fun learning. I purchased your book but the software included which you urge us to use and much of the info is strictly Window based.
See:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=68459

Still, it's an absolute must, but . . . if a Mac version comes out in New Edition . . . I would repurchase.

I know you must be extremely busy and to look back is not always in the best interests as you could be writing new books and programming.

I also have a book on Lulu:
http://stores.lulu.com/riqiv
and know the heartache involved as I simply changed my email address and had to redo the spine and order copies and embed fonts (all on their command), and all kinds of stuff with very little help from Lulu.

Good luck with Course Technology, great software, wonderful book :-)

------

PS - I just read in your post in this tread dated 03-17-2010, 09:35 PM:
"As for the Mac ... it's probably something I should ideally address, but alas seeing as I've never used a Mac I don't really feel comfortable about doings o."
Your program works so intuitively on a Mac . . . I'm surprised! Very intuitive, but I agree . . . no do-overs!

Last edited by Riqiv; 11-09-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Riqiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #159
loobey

Default Thank you

Thank you, Nicholas.

I have just received my copy and it is quite helpful. I appreciate your realistic timeline, e.g., ~5 years! Nice work and thanks again. I will return with my questions...
loobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #160
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobey View Post
Thank you, Nicholas.

I have just received my copy and it is quite helpful. I appreciate your realistic timeline, e.g., ~5 years! Nice work and thanks again. I will return with my questions...
Thanks! Enjoy!