Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
CloseToTheEdge
Human being with feelings

Default White Tie - Greatness is afoot...

This is your moment.

The WT-Imperial theme will take DAWs to a new level. Nothing has ever been made that has such a cool factor and has provoked such interest.

It will change the face of REAPER forever.

Whether people will love it or hate it, this theme will provoke more talk and more posts than anything before. It already has, in fact.

History will be made when this theme is out.

People will be banned as a result of this theme.

Babies will be conceived. They shall be named "Imperial", or "Imp" for short.

The time is ripe. The stars are aligned.

Release Version 1.0 and change the world.

That is all.

Your public awaits...
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
run, megalodon

How can everybody care so much about a pretty skin? It is really going to affect the music you make?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
CloseToTheEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
How can everybody care so much about a pretty skin? It is really going to affect the music you make?
If some are so interested in the purity of making music and are so uninterested in a pretty skin, why would they waste their time reading posts in the REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets section? Most people realize that a great theme is also art.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Viente

Quote:
It is really going to affect the music you make?
In fact - yes
Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Garrick

Don't forget we are also on his case (hounding, haunting, bitching, weeping, begging, shouting) about that other theme called Colonial?, tell yer what WT we could compromise and you could release that just to get it started, dip the toes in and get a feel for this greatness thing.

moping, seething, drinking, brawling, learning to spell
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseToTheEdge View Post
If some are so interested in the purity of making music and are so uninterested in a pretty skin, why would they waste their time reading posts in the REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets section?
I use the new posts function.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
CloseToTheEdge

I think it is irrelevant if it is going to affect the music you make or not.

Is the Mona Lisa going to effect toothpaste sales?

Is Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" going to depress paintbrush sales?

Who cares?

It does not matter. A great theme is art unto itself.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
run, megalodon

Quote:
It does not matter. A great theme is art unto itself.
That's basically what I'm wondering about. Why stare at one artwork while you're trying to make a completely unrelated one? How could it do anything but distract?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
CloseToTheEdge

Quote:
That's basically what I'm wondering about. Why stare at one artwork while you're trying to make a completely unrelated one? How could it do anything but distract?
Okay, maybe staring into the trash can or at a blank wall works for some.

If you seriously don't understand the value of a good theme, I don't have anything of use for you here.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
run, megalodon

Quote:
Okay, maybe staring into the trash can or at a blank wall works for some.

If you seriously don't understand the value of a good theme, I don't have anything of use for you here.
Okey dokey. I prefer a window or just darkness.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
RJHollins

I seem to recall companies like Solid State Logic, NEVE, Harrison, and others spending quite some time researching and designing their console looks and ergonomics.

WHY???

Because we had to work with them 12-18 hours a day !

After years, we did it with our eyes closed [for more than one reason]. But when eyes opened, we were bathed in beauty.

What do YOU want to see when you awake .... huh.

It may be only 'skin deep' ... however, did not under estimate how design, layout, color can impact work flow and output efficiency.

and I'll throw in this jab to all the 'just use your ear' crowd ...
if you think that the ears are 'flawless', and can NEVER be fooled ... then your in for quite the shock the day you realize that what may sound like great 'bumper sticker' advice, is just that ... good advice. Reality is slightly more complex.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
ivansc

Dont see the point in this thread. Let sjust leave WT to get on with it in his own time. Have you guys even looked at Albert's latest offering, now in beta?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I seem to recall companies like Solid State Logic, NEVE, Harrison, and others spending quite some time researching and designing their console looks and ergonomics.

WHY???

Because we had to work with them 12-18 hours a day !

After years, we did it with our eyes closed [for more than one reason]. But when eyes opened, we were bathed in beauty.

What do YOU want to see when you awake .... huh.

It may be only 'skin deep' ... however, did not under estimate how design, layout, color can impact work flow and output efficiency.
Well, none of those old consoles are really eye catching for the sake of being eye catching. They are very utilitarian actually, and no more complex than they need to be. What "beauty" were you looking at when you used it? An intuitive layout, a legible font, indicator leds, and high quality, durable materials? The artistic choices on most consoles basically come down to what color they were. And even that was influenced by working concerns like color coding knobs to tell eq from sends, creating contrast for visual simplicity and so on. There are not many frills. If they are pretty, it's because they are sleek examples of a working concept, kind of like a formula one car.

Apply that same kind of thinking to daws and you come up with something like Ableton live's interface, or at least Logic's. Crisp, clear, based on getting the vital information to you in the simplest way possible, with just enough mellowness so that you don't feel like you're reading a book. Something like Imperial is so needlessly embellished for working in a DAW that the console equivalent would be marble with gold leaf, leather trimmings, and incandescent light bulb columns for meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
and I'll throw in this jab to all the 'just use your ear' crowd ...
if you think that the ears are 'flawless', and can NEVER be fooled ... then your in for quite the shock the day you realize that what may sound like great 'bumper sticker' advice, is just that ... good advice. Reality is slightly more complex.
Well if we aren't talking about visuals meant to give you info like meters and spectrograms, then there's nothing that a skin can tell you that your ears can't. Am I going to be saying one day, "dang, that bass is too loud, if only I'd been using Imperial I would have realized it!" Or is it more likely you'll be saying "Dang, that bass is too loud, if only I hadn't been engrossed in a super complex, psuedo realistic 4000x5500 display while I was mixing I might have realized it."
Old 04-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #14
Viente

Quote:
Well, none of those old consoles are really eye catching for the sake of being eye catching. They are very utilitarian actually, and no more complex than they need to be. What "beauty" were you looking at when you used it? An intuitive layout, a legible font, indicator leds, and high quality, durable materials? The artistic choices on most consoles basically come down to what color they were. And even that was influenced by working concerns like color coding knobs to tell eq from sends, creating contrast for visual simplicity and so on. There are not many frills. If they are pretty, it's because they are sleek examples of a working concept, kind of like a formula one car.

Apply that same kind of thinking to daws and you come up with something like Ableton live's interface, or at least Logic's. Crisp, clear, based on getting the vital information to you in the simplest way possible, with just enough mellowness so that you don't feel like you're reading a book. Something like Imperial is so needlessly embellished for working in a DAW that the console equivalent would be marble with gold leaf, leather trimmings, and incandescent light bulb columns for meters.

Well if we aren't talking about visuals meant to give you info like meters and spectrograms, then there's nothing that a skin can tell you that your ears can't. Am I going to be saying one day, "dang, that bass is too loud, if only I'd been using Imperial I would have realized it!" Or is it more likely you'll be saying "Dang, that bass is too loud, if only I hadn't been engrossed in a super complex, psuedo realistic 4000x5500 display while I was mixing I might have realized it."
At his point i agree. I like cool themes, but in my taste a great theme is a crystal clear, crisp, flat (not 3d). So i hate themes which emulates some sort of hardware (especially with rubbish and ugly graphics)...But Imperial looks good, and as i probably won't use it, this will be a great theme anyway.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #15
RJHollins

Quote:

it's because they are sleek examples of a working concept, kind of like a formula one car. I kinda sense the reference to the car ... but that would not be my first comparison ... but I can respect that analogy.

As to the other issue/problem raised ... if you are having spectral balance issue, then room analysis and acoustical treatment corrections may be considered. But lets keep thing straight and cut out the nonsense associations ... and true, I was excluding fundamental visual tools such as meters. And to expound some asinine statement that a skin would have anything remotely to ascribe an influence to a sonic result is utter nonsense, and NOWHERE in my earlier comment COULD or SHOULD it have been implied.

Now ... if you want comment from me on YOUR personal ideas and philosophies,
well I'm not sure I'd been interested ... nothing personal [although that is difficult to relay via text].
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
pyerbass

DEAR WT,

I agree with Close to the edge: History will be made when this theme is out

But pleeeeease DON'T release v1.0 right now!!!!
Let at least Albertxxx and I release the final version of each of our themes! We all know there will be no point to work on an analoglike theme after Imperial released !!!

First time I saw this theme I diging hard to update mine, and I felt I won't have any choice but to fall into alcoholism!

Anyways, 2015 is nice!
With great power comes great responsabilities!
haha
Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #17
vStyler

This thread (OP) is repugnant.

My Rado - VOX theme - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91884
Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
CloseToTheEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vStyler View Post
This thread (OP) is repugnant.
A little hyperbole is all. Sorry I made you sick. Please throw up elsewhere.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Jorgen

Quote:
Please tone it down. I don't think you're helping. If anything, you're inspiring new trolls.

Actually, I thought you were trolling with your original post. Like over-the-top-sarcasm or something. Must we do this?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Kundalinguist

There are whispers of a plot to kidnap WT so that other theme developers won't be embarrassed by the release of Imperial. Whatever they do with the body, I hope they keep the image files and at least release them under some pseudonym like "ReaPerial" or "ReaVenge" or something.

[I hope I haven't put ideas in anyone's head? ]
Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
vStyler

Quote:
My opinion, sorry you don't like it.

A lot of us have heard more than we would like about a non-existent theme.

If i get sick here, I most likely will also throw up here.

My Rado - VOX theme - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91884
Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vStyler View Post
A lot of us have heard more than we would like about a non-existent theme.
Hesitant to get involved, but ...

1) It does exist
2) You don't need to read the threads about it. You're reading stuff that annoys you of your own volition, so it's your own fault you feel ill
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
Andy Hamm

Maybe she should visit the REAPER forums?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
SoulOne82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
"ReaPerial"
made my day

thanks great kunda
Old 04-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
2) You don't need to read the threads about it.
Meh. I get tired of this line of reasoning. Are people not supposed to interact with their community and bounce ideas off the people around them? I mean criticism is often part of a constructive thought process that leads to rebuilding ideas; you need to talk with other people who have different viewpoint to see why they like something or not.

Why shouldn't you challenge people who's opinions you can't understand? Are people's preferences really so sacred that there is really nothing you could reasonably find iffy or illegitimate about them? If I wonder why somebody likes something and think that maybe they are just caught up in some idea or myopic way of looking at things is that really the crime that everybody thinks it is? Can't we all look back at some preference that we had that it turned out was based on some shoddy base or we just grew out of? Not every opinion is just a matter of sheer perception like the taste of onions or something.

It's natural for people to start probing if they don't see what's so great about something that it seems like everyone else is raving about. Telling them not to is telling them to isolate themselves, to stop taking interest in their connection to other people, what they have in common and what they don't. It can be even more exclusionary and dismissive than any negative comment because you're saying everybodys opinion is important, except if you don't like it, then you can stfu.

Do you really want to tell me that in your life you keep your head down and simply make a beeline straight for the things that you enjoy, and don't worry about anything else?

You know if there wasn't such a ban on saying anything negative these days I think we'd find that alot more people would be expressing their negative opinions in civil ways.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
CloseToTheEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post

Maybe she should visit the REAPER forums?
Nice. Thanks for playing.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
timlloyd

Quote:
Meh. I get tired of this line of reasoning. Are people not supposed to interact with their community and bounce ideas off the people around them?
We should, but there is a line which I realise can be extremely tricky to define, between constructive criticism and unedifying negativity. Yep, I should not have gotten involved
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
Mercado_Negro

The OP asked for deletion. We'll just close it.