Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #81
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post
That's how Bitwig does it:
I like it more like in Ableton.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #82
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Is this not infinitely better? You can clearly see the connection between origin and destination.
For sure. If it will move with AS.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #83
karbomusic

Quote:
and yeah eventually we might get "lock horizontal/vertical" when doing these types of things
As one who almost never complains, I miss this everyday. Queue that action/shortcut fix no one ever told me about.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #84
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Quit difficult because this indication has to do with track selection, not item selection. It could happen if when we move the selected items to another track, to select automatically the track where the items are in AS.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #85
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Quit difficult because this indication has to do with track selection, not item selection. It could happen if when we move the selected items to another track, to select automatically the track where the items are in AS.
No track selection, just coloring track lanes.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #86
puddi

Quote:
I like it more like in Ableton.
Totally agree.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #87
RobinGShore

Quote:
Quote:
No track selection, just coloring track lanes.
Maybe I misunderstood ferropop's gif, but I thought the whole point was that the selected tracks would always remain highlighted in the arrange area so that when you move things by dragging you'd had a clearer picture of where stuff would land with respect to the original selection. Otherwise when doing a long horizontal move like in the gif, it can be difficult to tell if you're maintaining the vertical position you'd like. Having dealt with this exact frustration many times, that's what would make the most sense to me.

Last edited by RobinGShore; 07-28-2020 at 11:58 AM.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #88
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
You actually use Reaper with just the arrange view and no TCP or mixer visible? It seems like it would be really hard to do much I guess anything's possible.
In regular use, never. Much like Robin said, that could also be one way to maximize the workspace when needed, but I would be quickly lost without TCP or MCP being there as a guide.

However, if I want to see just couple of tracks maximized, that's one more way to fully utilize the space. There I don't need to see from anywhere what tracks I have selected, I made an intentional selection to maximize just them to begin with.

More than anything else, in my part mentioning it was just acknowledging the existence of a feature, which could also be helped by seeing the track selection. But I'm actually testing right now how the thick line already works to this end. One more window set just created and saved; Full Arrange.

Last edited by xpander; 07-28-2020 at 12:12 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #89
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Maybe I misunderstood ferropop's gif, but I thought the whole point was that the selected tracks would always remain highlighted in the arrange area so that when you move things by dragging you'd had a clearer picture of where stuff would land with respect to the original selection. Otherwise when doing a long horizontal move like in the gif, it can be difficult to tell if you're maintaining the vertical position you'd like. Having dealt with this exact frustration many times, that's what would make the most sense to me.
I don’t know how many times a day I manage to paste items on the wrong track. If for one welcome our new thick line overlords.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #90
ferropop

I'm suggesting that tinting tracks is useful in many cases. One being while dragging an Area Selection...if you drag a 4-track area selection vertically, during the drag it could tint the 4 tracks currently occupied by the AS. This way you always have a reference of where you're coming from and where you're going, and you can assess "am I lined up with the original tracks?" or in the case that you're actually pasting to a new set of tracks "am I lined up to my desired tracks?".
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #91
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
I don’t know how many times a day I manage to paste items on the wrong track. If for one welcome our new thick line overlords.
OPTIONALLY of course !!!
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #92
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
OPTIONALLY of course !!!
Thick line overlords give no options, silly.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #93
ferropop

This is how I envision tinting with respect to both Active Track Selection (initial state) and Area Selection (during move/duplication).

vs (current behaviour):

(yes I'm awful at Adobe Premiere haha).

Last edited by ferropop; 07-28-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:53 AM   #94
mccrabney

^ i like everything about that, except that it looks like items are getting tinted as well as track background. we don't need that to happen, and it shouldn't. that might just be a symptom of your mockup, but it's worth mentioning
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:05 AM   #95
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
^ i like everything about that, except that it looks like items are getting tinted as well as track background. we don't need that to happen, and it shouldn't. that might just be a symptom of your mockup, but it's worth mentioning
They would be tinted if they are a selected item
Old 07-29-2020, 04:24 AM   #96
mccrabney

no, area selected objects do not and should not get tinted like normally selected objects.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:41 AM   #97
deeb

Quote:
This is how I envision tinting with respect to both Active Track Selection (initial state) and Area Selection (during move/duplication).

vs (current behaviour):

(yes I'm awful at Adobe Premiere haha).
would be so good if items / ais / envelopes where not showed while dragging and just show the square (area selection borders) and a sign if possible or not to drop. Then after drop , then yes make it final ...
Old 07-29-2020, 04:50 AM   #98
mccrabney

^ mild disagree, i benefit from seeing the outline of the objects being copied. i do agree that these should just be ghosts, though, and not playable by the play cursor until they are dropped.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:58 AM   #99
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
would be so good if items / ais / envelopes where not showed while dragging and just show the square (area selection borders) and a sign if possible or not to drop. Then after drop , then yes make it final ...
But if you have selected more than one items or envelopes from various tracks, how would you know where to drop it ? Especially moving envelope shapes, it's nice to see the shape you're moving to another place. For example i want to paste multiple times a Saw shape with 1/32 speed, between some other shapes with 1/8 speed.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:12 AM   #100
ferropop

I'm just bad at Premiere, i just want the backgrounds tinted.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:42 AM   #101
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
But if you have selected more than one items or envelopes from various tracks, how would you know where to drop it ?
everything is the same , .. we know where it comes from (the visible and outlined source) , and while dragging just the area selection shape would be showed and signal of droppable or not) on the target. After the drop and if target is a valid droppable target then yes commit else do nothing / keep original area selection.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:49 AM   #102
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
^ mild disagree, i benefit from seeing the outline of the objects being copied. i do agree that these should just be ghosts, though, and not playable by the play cursor until they are dropped.
well i agree with you! that is the only thing i would like and a sign of droppable or not - if is possible to combine with "the outline of the objects being copied" then great. Maybe a different dragging outline for the area selection state:
if dropppable then area selection borders in green
if not droppable then red .. something like that could work
Old 07-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #103
xpander

Quote:
This type of paste happens Regularly, and yeah eventually we might get "lock horizontal/vertical" when doing these types of things
There are already mouse modifier actions for both media items and area selection to move (only) vertically, but not horizontally.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #104
ramses

We need to separate the idea of visual indicators for selected tracks,for dropping audio etc, and visual indicators for area selections. These features are not linked, and should not be.

I LOVE the idea of tinting selected track arrange backgrounds, for clarity. In my opinion, this is preferable to having a blinking cursor. Many other DAWs do it, and it's just SO clear and unambiguous.

But this feature, if implemented, should never be confused with target visualization for area selection drops. These are two completely different things, and melding them together won't work.

If you want to lock the area selection movement to the original tracks, then this is the FR. There's no need to tint tracks for something this basic.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #105
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
We need to separate the idea of visual indicators for selected tracks,for dropping audio etc, and visual indicators for area selections. These features are not linked, and should not be.

I LOVE the idea of tinting selected track arrange backgrounds, for clarity. In my opinion, this is preferable to having a blinking cursor. Many other DAWs do it, and it's just SO clear and unambiguous.

But this feature, if implemented, should never be confused with target visualization for area selection drops. These are two completely different things, and melding them together won't work.

If you want to lock the area selection movement to the original tracks, then this is the FR. There's no need to tint tracks for something this basic.

Unless you do want to move a selection horizontally and vertically, and then it’s a wonderful visual aid across this scope of arrange window real estate -why not an option?

>
Old 07-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #106
schwa
Administrator

As of +dev0729 you can theme the edit cursor where it crosses the last touched track via cursor_seltrack.png. If there is no theme image, the 3-pixel thick cursor will be used. We will eventually add an option for this, but only after it sits in development for a while, because if it's an opt-in option then fewer people will test the feature!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #107
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
As of +dev0729 you can theme the edit cursor where it crosses the last touched track via cursor_seltrack.png. If there is no theme image, the 3-pixel thick cursor will be used. We will eventually add an option for this, but only after it sits in development for a while, because if it's an opt-in option then fewer people will test the feature!
So we won't see other implementation of this feature?

Last edited by vitalker; 07-29-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #108
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
So we won't see other implementation of this feature?
You can theme it however you want.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #109
vitalker

Quote:
You can theme it however you want.
Yeah, thank you. I meant rather something like blinking/flickering part of the edit cursor or something similar.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #110
Coachz

Quote:
Thank you very much ! I cleared mine out (sans the pink) and I'm back to a straight line like the good old days. Thank you for the option.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #111
ovnis

Quote:
If there is no theme image, the 3-pixel thick cursor will be used.
Is it not better to only brighten up the cursor?

3 pixels thick cursor can be confuse with a very litte item and 3 pixels thick cursor is not accurate because the paste of an item will not be placed after the 3 pixels thick but inside the cursor.

Last edited by ovnis; 07-29-2020 at 03:50 PM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #112
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Is it not better to only brighten up the cursor?

3 pixels thick cursor can be confuse with a very litte item and 3 pixels thick cursor it not accurate because the past of an item will not be placed after the 3 pixels thick but inside the cursor.
I agree. I think it would be better from a user interface point of view to brighten that section rather than thicken it.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #113
babag

bright good. thick bad.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #114
cairnan

Quote:
Thanks!
cairnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #115
Win Conway

Quote:
Let me know specifically what you want testing, I will smash it after the weekend.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:45 AM   #116
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Let me know specifically what you want testing, I will smash it after the weekend.
Me too