Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
molecule
Human being with feelings

Default Getting started ... how do I

Hi,

I may be more noob than I know how to tell ...

How do I sequence a few notes (about 30) ... by "sequence" if that's the right choice of word, I mean specify an atonal Hz (main harmonic say 256, which may be atonal or not a tone on a midi A=44o system), specify a duration to thousandths (achronic - free-floating time not hard snapped to a 4/4 beat, or eighth note or whatever) and a start time (also achronic and not hard snapped to a piano-roll type time spacing) for a particular VST intrument ...

I do not have and cannot use a midi-keyboard as input for this project -- which is a study of Kepler's adjustments (equalization or temperment) which Kepler derived from geometry and proved by celestial motions as a modification of the Pythagorean temperment he was taught in the 1590s.

My biggest problem may be that I'm running a well maintained w98se on a 733P3 w/ 512M ram and plenty of scsi HDs (I don't have money enough for the usurpations and dishonesty of MSs perpetual upgrade paths, so no we-hate-98se flames please.) The puter is a homebuilt ASUS CUV4X mobo w/ VIA VT82C controllers and an onboard "AC'97" audio chip, which is quieter than, zippier than, and outplays a PCI SB Live platinum which I bought and threw away. Directx 9 is running.

Under Reaper Preferences, on the Audio Device tab, .Audio system is set on "WaveOut" (other choices are Kernel Streaming, DirectSound and ASIO). .Input Device is set on "VIA Audio (WAVE)" (other choices are "Microsoft Sound Mapper" and "Record through TotalRecorder" which is a pass through driver). .Output Device is same as input device (with same options).

on the MIDI tab, .MIDI inputs is blank, and MIDI outputs is Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, with box checked. Send clock/SPP is unchecked.

Under VST plug-in tab, VST plugins path is C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins where all VST dll and files are placed, including for ZynAddSubFX. (This is my preferred VST as its random dampers give a "broad soft glass" sound that matches the vrml model I am building -- interestingly also its random "adjustments" are not dissimilar to what Kepler described in Book V of Harmonices when he proposed continuously varying tonal "adjustments" between the various celestial movements - taking a comma out of Saturn's perihelion and shifting it to Mars aphelion, etc. to "balance" the system...)

In Reaper, the ZinAddSubFX screen comes up, but I can't figure out how to feed it a note.
molecule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
malcolmj
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by molecule
In Reaper, the ZinAddSubFX screen comes up, but I can't figure out how to feed it a note.
1. Select the Track that contains the synth.
2. Select Insert > New MIDI file.
3. Right-click on the new MIDI file.
4. Select Open items with 'built-in MIDI editor'.

The MIDI editor will open and you're ready to insert notes. You can preview notes by clicking on the piano keyboard in the editor.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote