Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
DONNY
Human being with feelings

Default ASIO-4-ALL+ OSX

Hi, i am looking for an alternative to ASIO 4 ALL for the OSX environment. I'm running OSX longside with windows and would love to have the latency.

Thanks.
DONNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Xenakios

Shouldn't OS-X CoreAudio allow pretty low latencies in any case? Even with the Mac's built-in sound hardware...?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
TimOBrien

I thought OSX's Coreaudio already does audio device aggrigates, letting you add all your available devices....

Did you look that up???
TimOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
DONNY

Thanks. I am using OSX on X86 architecture.
DONNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
larrygates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNY View Post
Thanks. I am using OSX on X86 architecture.
Doesn't matter, it's going to use your motherboard audio with the Core Audio Drivers. You have to use the proper ktexts to get your audio at least working. After that, there's more you may have to do as far as quality goes. I'm trying to use my Delta 1010 on my Leopard Hackintosh, but I can't because they only have PPC drivers for Leopard. I think all the drivers are PPC for the 1010
larrygates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Xaos

There is no need for such a thing in OS X. ASIO4All was made to overcome the deficiencies in Windows when it comes to audio. The Mac OS was designed with audio/video production in mind, and low latency was a primary concern since it's inception. If you are having issues with latency, it is not something that ASIO4All could fix. Look elsewhere for the issue.

If you are running OS X on non Apple hardware, you may not get the full benefits of CoreAudio because the drivers were not written specifically for your hardware. That may be a problem, but something like ASIO4All won't fix it anyway. Your best bet is to take advantage of the tight integration of hardware and software that Apple provides the Pro content producer. I can't speak to the crap that has been coming out of the software department since Scott Forstall left and Jonny Ives took over. Everything from iOS 7 and Mountain Lion on has been a regression, IMO, but I don't know whether they've gotten around to mucking up CoreAudio yet. So far, everything Ives has touched has gone horribly wrong, from the look to things as simple as scrubbing video.
Xaos is offline   Reply With Quote