Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-21-2022, 07:36 PM   #2561
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juljan View Post
Is it possible to change the displayed parameters in a plugin like it Omnisphere does with its hardware integration?
ReaLearn uses parameter automation to communicate with plug-ins. So it depends entirely on whether the plug-in makes it possible to switch between different UI pages via an automatable parameter. Most plug-ins don't because parameters are usually used change something about the sound, not about the user interface.

Another way in which ReaLearn can communicate with the plug-in is by sending MIDI messages to it (target "MIDI: Send message") with destination FX output. So if your plug-in supports user interface changes triggered by MIDI messages, it would work. For example, that's how Omnisphere does it, if I understand correctly. There are no out-of-the box presets available for that in ReaLearn, so you would need to craft your own.

That said, I'm currently working on a "Mouse" target. While it is more intended to enable controlling the currently hovered parameter, it could also serve as a third way to communicate with plug-ins. E.g. then you can simulate a mouse click somewhere into the GUI and change a tab or something. This is obviously a bit hackerish because it depends on the GUI layout and things like hidpi but could be interesting nevertheless.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #2562
7enz

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
That said, I'm currently working on a "Mouse" target. While it is more intended to enable controlling the currently hovered parameter, it could also serve as a third way to communicate with plug-ins. E.g. then you can simulate a mouse click somewhere into the GUI and change a tab or something. This is obviously a bit hackerish because it depends on the GUI layout and things like hidpi but could be interesting nevertheless.
i found a autohotkey script that is quite good for use with plugins where mouse positioning is concerned.. it uses a unique method of OCR in which it will recognise bitmaps as opposed to just text.
i use this AHK script on my template in fact im guessing it would probably already work...
with realearn and a simple script that would execute the AHK, which already exists

where the AHK falls over mind you is when you have identical bitmap images onscreen(theres workarounds) or you change the resolution of your screen(multiple monitors etc)
edit: another point to consider is scaling with VST's so they are points which can play havoc on recognition(can happen when going from FXchain to floatingFX)

heres 2 clips of it
https://youtu.be/aWRAtvJq9ZE

and one with the UI that will write the ahk..
https://youtu.be/0TkuIiUd6t0

Last edited by 7enz; 09-21-2022 at 11:01 PM.
7enz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #2563
7enz

i forgot to mention, that becos plugins tend to move about and sometimes we want to re-position them & screensets etc... it accounts for that and is still able to recognise positions albeit offsets, which is really the neat aspect of that script!
Old 09-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #2564
Bassman002

HI

Next question (Sorry)

I have set up 8 Volume Faders with Bank switching. So far so good.
Now I set up the 8 Faders for an FX in the selected Track for 8 Parameters.

Doesn't matter. When I know how 1 works I can set the others.

These Faders do work always but I set them to only when FX Plugin is focused.
Active is set to "Always" but the other Possibilities are with Modifiers. There are no modifiers yet.

So how can I tell ReaLearn that the Volume should only work if the Mixer or the Track View is in Focus and the (same Faders) FX Faders should only work if the FX Plugin in the selected Track is in Focus?
Then for all Tracks This exactly same Plugin is in Focus.

Must I use Modifiers to do that?

Have to say that I put ReaLearn in the Monitoring FX, so perhaps that's the problem? I don't want to insert ReaLearn in every Track or is it necessary?
This will be too fussy I think.

Thanks
Bassman.
Bassman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #2565
Juljan

Thanks, guys.

@helgoboss: Could you please elaborate both down below?
Regarding MIDI message: Could you please give me an example how it would work to change the page on ReaEQ, for instance? Obviously I would learn my knob/button/whatever but how would I find out which is the correct MIDI message to change the page?
Regarding mouse: When will it be released?

Quote:
ReaLearn uses parameter automation to communicate with plug-ins. So it depends entirely on whether the plug-in makes it possible to switch between different UI pages via an automatable parameter. Most plug-ins don't because parameters are usually used change something about the sound, not about the user interface.

Another way in which ReaLearn can communicate with the plug-in is by sending MIDI messages to it (target "MIDI: Send message") with destination FX output. So if your plug-in supports user interface changes triggered by MIDI messages, it would work. For example, that's how Omnisphere does it, if I understand correctly. There are no out-of-the box presets available for that in ReaLearn, so you would need to craft your own.

Juljan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #2566
7enz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman002 View Post
HI

Next question (Sorry)

I have set up 8 Volume Faders with Bank switching. So far so good.
Now I set up the 8 Faders for an FX in the selected Track for 8 Parameters.

Doesn't matter. When I know how 1 works I can set the others.

These Faders do work always but I set them to only when FX Plugin is focused.
Active is set to "Always" but the other Possibilities are with Modifiers. There are no modifiers yet.

So how can I tell ReaLearn that the Volume should only work if the Mixer or the Track View is in Focus and the (same Faders) FX Faders should only work if the FX Plugin in the selected Track is in Focus?

Have to say that I put ReaLearn in the Monitoring FX, so perhaps that's the problem? I don't want to insert ReaLearn in every Track or is it necessary?

Thanks
Bassman.
i have found that having multiple instances of Realearn on a unused track(inputfx) the most convenient method to switch mappings
for example when using faders for volumes/FX/Pans
mapping 1 deals with volumes
mapping 2 deals with fx
mapping 3 deals with pan
mapping main

then on your main mapping you would setup a mapping to toggle mapping 1,2,3 on or off with a separate toggle button(use a button that has LED feedback)
using enable/disable fx (inputfx)

you would enable or disable mappings keeping only one instance active..

Edit: using the above method requires a little care... as leaving 2 mappings active you can imagine how things would behave
alternatively.. if the internals of the midi button can act as a gate.. then you would only need to hold a button down for it to toggle as it will untoggle when released

Edit2: feedback will always be the issue when switching the mappings as they wont update, so that also needs to be considered
alternatively.. you would use dynamic mode to allow for feedback, which requires tracks to be selected in order for it to work
so if you only have 8 faders.. then you can only change 8 at a time based upon the 8 selected tracks

thats how i work it

Last edited by 7enz; 09-22-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:43 PM   #2567
7enz

heres a video i did how i use dynamic mode, everyones use case is different but there is some useful stuff in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxHvAkIcbPU
Old 09-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #2568
helgoboss

Quote:

Thanks
Bassman.
No, modifiers are something like "Shift" or "Ctrl" on your keyboard. They are not what you want.

At first, you better get the "Control whatever plug-in is in focus (no matter which track)" to work, then we can continue. Step by step. For this, follow the "Auto-load preset"
tutorial in the user guide.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:53 PM   #2569
helgoboss

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

@helgoboss: Could you please elaborate both down below?
Regarding MIDI message: Could you please give me an example how it would work to change the page on ReaEQ, for instance? Obviously I would learn my knob/button/whatever but how would I find out which is the correct MIDI message to change the page?
Regarding mouse: When will it be released?
I can't give you an example because I don't think ReaEQ lets you control the page via MIDI. Does ReaEQ even have pages? I don't think so.

So far I only heard of Omnisphere which does this kind of thing. I don't have it, so I can't tell you any specifics. Are you interested in the general procedure?

Concerning mouse target, I think I will publish a pre-release tomorrow. But don't expect too much of it, it's not made for this yet and maybe never will. If you are on Windows, the AHK stuff, which 7enz mentions, might be a better option. Things like OCR, I don't think I will ever add to ReaLearn.

Can I ask, why do you even want to switch plug-in GUI pages with a controller? And which plug-in exactly? No matter what, this kind of thing is *very* plug-in specific.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:11 AM   #2570
Bassman002

HI

Thanks for answering

Quote:
No, modifiers are something like "Shift" or "Ctrl" on your keyboard. They are not what you want.

At first, you better get the "Control whatever plug-in is in focus (no matter which track)" to work, then we can continue. Step by step. For this, follow the "Auto-load preset"
Before I start with that I should know some things.

I'm working mainly with a channelstrip (Scheps Omni channel) and so I do need 6 Banks for Novation Launch control.

1. Can I start with just 1 Bank (no bank) for testing and then add the rest aof
the mappings later? Or must all Mappings be done before I do Auto-Load?

2. Then when I have to do all Mappings before I need Banks, so exactly 6 Banks
should do it for all Plugins (don't need more).
In a Tutorial I have read how to set 2 buttons for switching Banks, but can I
just use 1 button and rotate between the Parameters? (0-5)

3. I think the best is to make a Controller compartement and then use it to do
the mappings for the FX Plugin.....?

4. Are the Target settings correct for the FX Parameters?
Type: Real - FX parameter : Set value
FX: Focused
Parameter: by ID and --> assign about 200 parameters for the Omni
Channel(not really all)
In "Glue" I do change nothing.

5. Another Question about a Shift Button! I've read the manual 3 times and saw
all your Videos, but I don't know exactly how to set up a Button as a Shift
Button! I set a parameter Min to 0 and Max to 1.
When I press the Button it should have the value 1, but how do I set it to
switch back to 0? For Shift ON/OFF.....?

That's it for the moment Sorry about a lot of questions but the manual gives more questions than answers for a non programmer.....

Thank you very much. Your help is very appreciated

Bassman.

P.S. By the way. Your English sounds as if you are not an English Guy. German?
Old 09-23-2022, 05:29 AM   #2571
helgoboss

Quote:
HI

Thanks for answering

Before I start with that I should know some things.

I'm working mainly with a channelstrip (Scheps Omni channel) and so I do need 6 Banks for Novation Launch control.

1. Can I start with just 1 Bank (no bank) for testing and then add the rest aof
the mappings later? Or must all Mappings be done before I do Auto-Load?

2. Then when I have to do all Mappings before I need Banks, so exactly 6 Banks
should do it for all Plugins (don't need more).
In a Tutorial I have read how to set 2 buttons for switching Banks, but can I
just use 1 button and rotate between the Parameters? (0-5)

3. I think the best is to make a Controller compartement and then use it to do
the mappings for the FX Plugin.....?

4. Are the Target settings correct for the FX Parameters?
Type: Real - FX parameter : Set value
FX: Focused
Parameter: by ID and --> assign about 200 parameters for the Omni
Channel(not really all)
In "Glue" I do change nothing.

5. Another Question about a Shift Button! I've read the manual 3 times and saw
all your Videos, but I don't know exactly how to set up a Button as a Shift
Button! I set a parameter Min to 0 and Max to 1.
When I press the Button it should have the value 1, but how do I set it to
switch back to 0? For Shift ON/OFF.....?

That's it for the moment Sorry about a lot of questions but the manual gives more questions than answers for a non programmer.....

Thank you very much. Your help is very appreciated

Bassman.

P.S. By the way. Your English sounds as if you are not an English Guy. German?
1. Auto-load will always load the latest versions of your presets, so you can set up the FX-to-preset links first and later improve your presets. You would build one preset per FX by the way.

2. Yes, you can rotate. Enable "Wrap".

3. Yes. I would always recommend building a controller preset for your controller first (or use one of my existing presets). Remember: Only use virtual targets when doing so.

4. Follow the tutorial, then you will know.

5. I didn't talk yet about modifiers in my tutorial videos. Some posts further up i explained the modifier procedure. Did you try that? The largest part of the user guide is more like a reference manual, supposed to be technical and accurate. If you want tutorials, you need to check the tutorial section.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #2572
Bassman002

HI

Doing this Autoload Preset over the weekend, thanks for explanations. Testing also the Bank Mapping!

Tested! OK, now I know how to make a Shift Button and how to make 6 Banks with "Wrap" and just 1 Button. It needed a while until I recognized this very small text down below which tells me that this wrap was called "Rotate" before.

Very nice that's a huge step forward in Learning ReaLearn for me!

Thank you

EDIT: And managed LEDs, for the moment only button Leds for each bank, I wanted to fhave the lights on my rotors cause there I don't need any , on buttons I want to have just solo and mute leds. For Rotors this is a SysEx Message and I can't figure out at the moment, but I'm reading...

================

Back to your Moving Lua Script with Mod Wheel.

Tested it today and it moves only forward and then stop working until I press the shortcuts for Bar +-, works 2 seconds and stops again.

Modwheel works perfectly with a synth!

So if it is working on your Reaper what's wrong with mine?

Thanks
Bassman.

Last edited by Bassman002; 09-23-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #2573
SeanTypedThis

Default Sending sysex form K-Mix to Realearn

Hi, I'm (finally) mapping out my K-Mix for Realearn, and I've run into one particular hurdle. I am mapping the faders, and while I can send messages to my mixer, my mixer is not sending the fader position when I move them on the hardware unit.

There is an excel sheet for the k-mix api that gives all of the values for sysex controls formatted like this:

faderframe_ch1_fader F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 xx xx F7

And Realearn works just fine to control the mixer faders using this syntax:

F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 [0nml kjih] [0gfe dcba] F7

However, no feedback in Realearn when I am moving the faders on the mixer.

When I do manual midi learn and move the fader it gives me this:

F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 17 73 F7

Which I assume is just a single value in it's range. Observing ReacontrolMIDI I get similar values:

0: Sysex (13 bytes)
F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 32 05 F7
1: Sysex (13 bytes)
F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 32 5F F7

I feel as if there might be something I'm missing, as my mixer is clearly passing along signals when I touch the fader.

Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #2574
charlestaylor

Default Control VCA Tracks with controller

I've mapped my midi controller to 8 VCA tracks. (there are 8 channel strips on my controller). If I move fader #2 on my controller, this controls a track labeled 'VCA 2', setup through ReaLearn and is conditional activation based on the track name. Fader movements, solo, mute, pan, record, all the good stuff. This works great!
It gets useful when I assign a random track in my session to one of the 8 VCA groups, and control it with the corresponding channel strip on my controller. There's many reasons why I want it setup with way but this is not the problem.

The problem is that while the VCA tracks respond to my controllers fader movements and button presses, the tracks they're meant to control however, do not.

For example, track 13 contains audio and I want to control it with my channel strip 4 on my controller. I assign track 13 to follow group 4 volume, pan, ect. The 'VCA 4' track that responds to my controllers movements is of course the lead. The VCA track will respond to controller movements, however track 13 does not. But this only happens when I use the controller. If I use my mouse to move the the volume knob of 'VCA 4' I can see track 13 volume knob move as well.

That's how the volume knob responds in the setup anyway. The mute for example, works perfectly. If I press mute on my channel strip 4, it mutes 'VCA 4' and in return mutes whatever track I have assigned to follow group 4 (track 13 in this case). Same with solo and record. Works perfect. However, other inputs such as polarity, do not respond.

What gets really weird with this is that although the fader for track 13 doesn't move when controlled with the controller, the audio on track 13 still responds accordingly. Pull fader 4 down, track 13 volume goes with it, but the volume knob stays where it was.

I'm sure it's an issue with my configuration but I just can't wrap my how or why this is happening. Even trying to explain the weirdness feels unnecessarily confusing.

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears, Thanks
charlestaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #2575
7enz

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestaylor View Post
The problem is that while the VCA tracks respond to my controllers fader movements and button presses, the tracks they're meant to control however, do not.
they say a picture is worth a thousand words(how much more a video!!)
would be neat to see a video, to see the isssue and some of your config surrounding the controls... i likely dont have any answer, but would like to understand the problem, so should i go in that direction of using VCA's etc i will better understand things and forsee any complications in using those methods
Old 09-23-2022, 08:00 PM   #2576
7enz

@charlestaylor
i looked at one of Kenny Gioia's videos and the VCA's supposedly have virtual controls... meaning they control the volumes in a virtual sense but dont actively change the faders.

would that account for the confusion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-aZE97PD4w
Old 09-24-2022, 12:34 AM   #2577
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTypedThis View Post
Hi, I'm (finally) mapping out my K-Mix for Realearn, and I've run into one particular hurdle. I am mapping the faders, and while I can send messages to my mixer, my mixer is not sending the fader position when I move them on the hardware unit.

There is an excel sheet for the k-mix api that gives all of the values for sysex controls formatted like this:

faderframe_ch1_fader F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 xx xx F7

And Realearn works just fine to control the mixer faders using this syntax:

F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 [0nml kjih] [0gfe dcba] F7

However, no feedback in Realearn when I am moving the faders on the mixer.

When I do manual midi learn and move the fader it gives me this:

F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 17 73 F7

Which I assume is just a single value in it's range. Observing ReacontrolMIDI I get similar values:

0: Sysex (13 bytes)
F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 32 05 F7
1: Sysex (13 bytes)
F0 00 01 5F 23 02 01 01 00 04 32 5F F7

I feel as if there might be something I'm missing, as my mixer is clearly passing along signals when I touch the fader.

Thanks again!
I need an example project.

Quote:
HI

Doing this Autoload Preset over the weekend, thanks for explanations. Testing also the Bank Mapping!

Tested! OK, now I know how to make a Shift Button and how to make 6 Banks with "Wrap" and just 1 Button. It needed a while until I recognized this very small text down below which tells me that this wrap was called "Rotate" before.

Very nice that's a huge step forward in Learning ReaLearn for me!

Thank you

EDIT: And managed LEDs, for the moment only button Leds for each bank, I wanted to fhave the lights on my rotors cause there I don't need any , on buttons I want to have just solo and mute leds. For Rotors this is a SysEx Message and I can't figure out at the moment, but I'm reading...

================

Back to your Moving Lua Script with Mod Wheel.

Tested it today and it moves only forward and then stop working until I press the shortcuts for Bar +-, works 2 seconds and stops again.

Modwheel works perfectly with a synth!

So if it is working on your Reaper what's wrong with mine?

Thanks
Bassman.
Didn't try the mod wheel thing yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestaylor View Post
I've mapped my midi controller to 8 VCA tracks. (there are 8 channel strips on my controller). If I move fader #2 on my controller, this controls a track labeled 'VCA 2', setup through ReaLearn and is conditional activation based on the track name. Fader movements, solo, mute, pan, record, all the good stuff. This works great!
It gets useful when I assign a random track in my session to one of the 8 VCA groups, and control it with the corresponding channel strip on my controller. There's many reasons why I want it setup with way but this is not the problem.

For example, track 13 contains audio and I want to control it with my channel strip 4 on my controller. I assign track 13 to follow group 4 volume, pan, ect. The 'VCA 4' track that responds to my controllers movements is of course the lead. The VCA track will respond to controller movements, however track 13 does not. But this only happens when I use the controller. If I use my mouse to move the the volume knob of 'VCA 4' I can see track 13 volume knob move as well.

That's how the volume knob responds in the setup anyway. The mute for example, works perfectly. If I press mute on my channel strip 4, it mutes 'VCA 4' and in return mutes whatever track I have assigned to follow group 4 (track 13 in this case). Same with solo and record. Works perfect. However, other inputs such as polarity, do not respond.

What gets really weird with this is that although the fader for track 13 doesn't move when controlled with the controller, the audio on track 13 still responds accordingly. Pull fader 4 down, track 13 volume goes with it, but the volume knob stays where it was.

I'm sure it's an issue with my configuration but I just can't wrap my how or why this is happening. Even trying to explain the weirdness feels unnecessarily confusing.

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears, Thanks
Vote for feature request #45.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:30 AM   #2578
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enz View Post
a simple script would be a great assist to help with colour feedback from Reaper2Controller

ill be utilising the script using dynamic mode.. with only 8 colours visible at any one time!! hopefully that will work

thanks Helgoboss
appreciated
This is available now in pre.4. Example script is in the user guide in the "MIDI script" section: https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...oc#midi-script
Old 09-24-2022, 02:32 AM   #2579
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.14.0-pre.4 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #686 Added new target "Global: Mouse" to control the mouse (one use case is to control the FX parameter which is currently under the mouse cursor)
- #689 Improved source "MIDI script" when used with Lua language by making color information available (allows users to provide support for arbitrary MIDI color LEDs/displays, in addition to the built-in ones)
- Improved target logging by including target control errors and other information
- Fixed error when learning/using special keys on macOS (keyboard source)
- Fixed a few Windows GUI issues introduced with the latet pre-releases
Old 09-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #2580
nofish

Quote:
Changes:
- #686 Added new target "Global: Mouse" to control the mouse (one use case is to control the FX parameter which is currently under the mouse cursor)
I've been 'waiting' for this since I saw in the other thread you'll give it a go.
Thank you, will check it out (and report back if I find something to report).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:28 AM   #2581
nofish

Target 'Global: Mouse/Turn scroll wheel' doesn't seem to work with encoders sending 14 bit NRPN (absolute), is that intended or an oversight?
(No show stopper on my side, just wondering)

edit:
Doesn't seem to work with all absolute sources it seems, which makes sense I guess since mousewheel is always relative(?).

And question (unrelated to above):
I see in the manual it's recommended to set encoders to 'relative' for some benefits (I've had them set to absolute till now).

The BCR supports all three relative modes, which one is recommended or doesn't it matter?

edit:
Overall I can say I really love this new mouse target mode already, it's a breeze.
Thanks again.

Last edited by nofish; 09-24-2022 at 06:25 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:54 AM   #2582
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Target 'Global: Mouse/Turn scroll wheel' doesn't seem to work with encoders sending 14 bit NRPN (absolute), is that intended or an oversight?
(No show stopper on my side, just wondering)

edit:
Doesn't seem to work with all absolute sources it seems, which makes sense I guess since mousewheel is always relative(?).

And question (unrelated to above):
I see in the manual it's recommended to set encoders to 'relative' for some benefits (I've had them set to absolute till now).

The BCR supports all three relative modes, which one is recommended or doesn't it matter?

edit:
Overall I can say I really love this new mouse target mode already, it's a breeze.
Thanks again.
Ah yes, scroll wheel is a relative thing. If you want to use it with something absolute, you must choose mode "Make relative". I'm not sure yet if I should make this easier for the user and just automatically apply "Make relative" if the target needs relative control, even in mode "Normal" ... downside is that this is less explicit and somehow could even confuse those users that really try to understand the difference between absolute and relative.

UPDATE: Maybe I could indicate in the Help section whenever a user attempts to control a relative-only target with absolute control messages and suggest to use "Make relative".

Last edited by helgoboss; 09-24-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #2583
7enz

@Helgoboss
excited to see this additional function roll out

As i deal with many looped samples on my project...
having a visual way to track what would be 16 tracks at a time and knowing whether they are Drums/Bass/synths/oneShots/Arps etc based on their assigned reaper Track colour, makes for a good method of tracking LED colours based on track assigned colours... and with Dynamic mode, this will be a great assist in knowing whats on the track when the Volume levels are right down, having a pre-hear output would have been the only other way, to test beforehand!!
also with FX chains taking up the screen-space at times, tracking/monitoring with the onboard LEDs makes for a Great alternative to looking at the screen!!

thanks for adding this!!
Attached Images
File Type: png 000427.png (5.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by 7enz; 09-24-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:17 AM   #2584
helgoboss

Quote:
@Helgoboss
excited to see this additional function roll out

As i deal with many looped samples on my project...
having a visual way to track what would be 16 tracks at a time and knowing whether they are Drums/Bass/synths/oneShots/Arps etc based on their assigned reaper Track colour, makes for a good method of tracking LED colours based on track assigned colours... and with Dynamic mode, this will be a great assist in knowing whats on the track when the Volume levels are right down, having a pre-hear output would have been the only other way, to test beforehand!!
also with FX chains taking up the screen-space at times, tracking/monitoring with the onboard LEDs makes for a Great alternative to looking at the screen!!

thanks for adding this!!
When you have figured out a script for the Maschine Jam LEDs, please let me know. I would like to add this as a built-in display type.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #2585
7enz

i am yet to figure out the necessary script to add into the multi-line(i assume thats where the script goes)
im going to be fumbling my way through trying to figure this out.. using other Track colour based Lua scripts and the lua extracted from realearn as a starting point for me... so this is going take some time for me to understand what all this gibberish language all means LOL

i have provided some information which might be helpful.. see links below

The bright indexes are the nominal values to use...however some colours like for instance Red&Fuschia have poor differentiation on the actual controller
The most distinguishable colors on the actual controller are as follows
Black = 2
Red = 6
Warm Yellow = 18
Green 30
cyan = 38
blue = 46
Violet = 54
purple = 58
White = 70

note: color indexes may only work for the Maschine Jam controller
EDIT: it would seem my Maschine MK2 also has indexes also and im gathering the indexes are the same... as the manual shows no other indexed values, it would be safe to assume they are the same!!
i cannot say for the Maschine MK3 as i dont have one, but the maschine controller editor software does indicate that it also has indexes on midi in

color indexes from Maschine controller editor manual
https://www.flickr.com/photos/195979...in/dateposted/

Midi-in trigger&gate only work with indexes (source min/max = 6 produces a Red (bright)

Last edited by 7enz; 09-25-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #2586
Juljan

Quote:
I can't give you an example because I don't think ReaEQ lets you control the page via MIDI. Does ReaEQ even have pages? I don't think so.

So far I only heard of Omnisphere which does this kind of thing. I don't have it, so I can't tell you any specifics. Are you interested in the general procedure?

Concerning mouse target, I think I will publish a pre-release tomorrow. But don't expect too much of it, it's not made for this yet and maybe never will. If you are on Windows, the AHK stuff, which 7enz mentions, might be a better option. Things like OCR, I don't think I will ever add to ReaLearn.

Can I ask, why do you even want to switch plug-in GUI pages with a controller? And which plug-in exactly? No matter what, this kind of thing is *very* plug-in specific.
Thank you for answering.
• ReaEQ: It has kind-of-pages due to the diffent EQ points. :P
• Omnisphere and in genereal: Reason for me is that I'd like to control different parameters with my controller, obviously. I saw a video about Omnisphere's hardware integration feature which is in my opinion such a nice feature for every plugin since you get a visual feedback, especially if you'd want to control a plugin nearly this way only and you can't remember what this button/knob/whatever does.
Juljan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:59 AM   #2587
Bassman002

HI

Quote:
Now I have set up the Scheps Omni Channel (not all Parameters yet) and they work on every instance which is focused. As written in the Auto-load preset Tutorial!

But all Faders, knobs and buttons do control other things like volume, pan ....

How can these Controls just work in MCP or TCP Focus and not with FX focused?

Thanks
Bassman.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:20 AM   #2588
Bassman002

Hi

@7enz

Quote:
heres a video i did how i use dynamic mode, everyones use case is different but there is some useful stuff in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxHvAkIcbPU
Thanks for the video! I'll come back for 1-2 questions about it later on

Bassman.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #2589
helgoboss

Quote:
i am yet to figure out the necessary script to add into the multi-line(i assume thats where the script goes)
im going to be fumbling my way through trying to figure this out.. using other Track colour based Lua scripts and the lua extracted from realearn as a starting point for me... so this is going take some time for me to understand what all this gibberish language all means LOL

i have provided some information which might be helpful.. see links below

The bright indexes are the nominal values to use...however some colours like for instance Red&Fuschia have poor differentiation on the actual controller
The most distinguishable colors on the actual controller are as follows
Black = 2
Red = 6
Warm Yellow = 18
Green 30
cyan = 38
blue = 46
Violet = 54
purple = 58
White = 70

note: color indexes may only work for the Maschine Jam controller
EDIT: it would seem my Maschine MK2 also has indexes also and im gathering the indexes are the same... as the manual shows no other indexed values, it would be safe to assume they are the same!!
i cannot say for the Maschine MK3 as i dont have one, but the maschine controller editor software does indicate that it also has indexes on midi in

color indexes from Maschine controller editor manual

Midi-in trigger&gate only work with indexes (source min/max = 6 produces a Red (bright)
My tip: At first get the basics running: Write a script even simpler than mine in the documentation, with **just the return statement**. Send one particular color, e.g. red, that's it. Don't continue moving to harder parts (searching for the closest Maschine Jam compatible color index for the track's RGB color) before you haven't accomplished that.

Quote:
Thank you for answering.
• ReaEQ: It has kind-of-pages due to the diffent EQ points. :P
• Omnisphere and in genereal: Reason for me is that I'd like to control different parameters with my controller, obviously. I saw a video about Omnisphere's hardware integration feature which is in my opinion such a nice feature for every plugin since you get a visual feedback, especially if you'd want to control a plugin nearly this way only and you can't remember what this button/knob/whatever does.
Ah okay. I don't think it's possible to switch EQ point focus via MIDI or parameter automation in ReaEQ. So ReaEQ is not a good example plug-in for what you intend to do.

Your second statement "Omnisphere and in general" makes me wonder ... is all you want to do control some parameters and get visual feedback? Then you don't need to switch between different pages in the user interface of a plug-in. Plug-in usually expose all parameters of interest as automatable parameters, no matter on which "page" they are. E.g. you can control all ReaEQ bands no matter which band is active. And I'm sure Omnisphere also lets you control all important parameters no matter which Omnisphere page is open. ReaLearn provides additional plug-in agnostic features to get visual feedback: You can use a controller with LEDs, displays or motor faders to know the current value of a parameter. And you can use the "Projection" feature to see a visual layout of your controller along with labels that show which knob/button/fader does what.

Quote:
HI

Now I have set up the Scheps Omni Channel (not all Parameters yet) and they work on every instance which is focused. As written in the Auto-load preset Tutorial!

But all Faders, knobs and buttons do control other things like volume, pan ....

How can these Controls just work in MCP or TCP Focus and not with FX focused?

Thanks
Bassman.
Nice, that means you are ready for the next step.

So you need 2 instances. One that has "Auto-load" enabled and is solely responsible for taking care of the currently focused FX - you have that one already. And a second instance that you use for controlling everything else, with the same "Control input" and "Feedback output". Then you simply make the first (auto-load instance) "superior" by right-clicking ReaLearn's header panel and choosing "Make superior" in the options.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #2590
Bassman002

Quote:

So you need 2 instances. One that has "Auto-load" enabled and is solely responsible for taking care of the currently focused FX - you have that one already. And a second instance that you use for controlling everything else, with the same "Control input" and "Feedback output". Then you simply make the first (auto-load instance) "superior" by right-clicking ReaLearn's header panel and choosing "Make superior" in the options.
Fantastic. I had to restart Reaper for working! Ok, now I can grow on these presets. I think to just make another Folder in the FX Instance for other Plugins or a complete new ReaLearn Instance?

Next Problem For my Omni Channel I do need 6 banks, banks are ready and work but no Leds yet.
The problem ist with the Sysex, I can switch on the LED for all banks but not out the others, so I have to send 2 Sysex Commands:

For example F0 00 20 29 02 11 78 00 11 7F F7 for the second LED ON
and F0 00 20 29 02 11 78 00 10 00 F7 for the first LED OFF then but I don't know how to send 2 Commands...

Second problem: I have seen in 7enz's video that he can control the volume of perhaps Track 1-3 and then Track 126-...
Means he controls only these Tracks which are marked to be seen in the Track control Panel (Or Muted ones), how is this possible? Not really clear for me in the video!
I have often a few Tracks not visible, but the faders control the volume of these...(I used Selected_TracK_Index + 0)

Thanks a lot

Bassman.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:54 PM   #2591
7enz

Quote:
My tip: At first get the basics running: Write a script even simpler than mine in the documentation, with **just the return statement**. Send one particular color, e.g. red, that's it. Don't continue moving to harder parts (searching for the closest Maschine Jam compatible color index for the track's RGB color) before you haven't accomplished that.
i have completely no idea what im doing but... ive made the console spit out a value.. which i assume is the Red track i selected in reaper but when checking the Red Hex Value (ff0000) which is the custom track color i have assigned in sws
it doesnt seem to be the correct value, when converting it to decimal as im getting a value that equals 16777471.0

not sure whether the value is correct..(and yes i havent figured out how to use the return(Color) as it keep throwing up some error message) grrrR i'll get there!! lol
local SelTrack = reaper.GetSelectedTrack(0,0);
if not SelTrack then no_undo() return end;

local Color = reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(SelTrack,'I_CUSTOMC OLOR');

reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(Color)
Attached Images
File Type: png 000436.png (42.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by 7enz; 09-27-2022 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:08 AM   #2592
helgoboss

Quote:
i have completely no idea what im doing but... ive made the console spit out a value.. which i assume is the Red track i selected in reaper but when checking the Red Hex Value (ff0000) which is the custom track color i have assigned in sws
it doesnt seem to be the correct value, when converting it to decimal as im getting a value that equals 16777471.0

not sure whether the value is correct..(and yes i havent figured out how to use the return(Color) as it keep throwing up some error message) grrrR i'll get there!! lol
local SelTrack = reaper.GetSelectedTrack(0,0);
if not SelTrack then no_undo() return end;

local Color = reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(SelTrack,'I_CUSTOMC OLOR');

reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(Color)
You don't need this part at all. It's also the wrong place. You need to write a script for the ReaLearn MIDI script source, not a ReaScript. See https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...#script-source
Old 09-28-2022, 04:14 AM   #2593
Bassman002

HI

Quote:

Doesn't work again. Just for 1 Session it was OK, today I wanted to edit the Presets, but they refused to work again.

2 Instances with Basic Parameter and FX parameter.
Basic Setting do nothing at all and FX just works with 1 Instance of Omni Channel.

Started same Procedure again from Scratch(Deleted all ReaLearn Instances and used the made Controller Compartement), but no chance! It refuses to work on Basic Settings as with Auto-Load Settings.

All controllers just work on 1 FX Instance and I did the same as before, as written in the Manual.

Weird!

Bassman.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I, after it worked in the very first Track, moved the 2 Instances to Monitoring FX for to make it globally and it worked for this session!

Last edited by Bassman002; 09-28-2022 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #2594
helgoboss

Quote:
Fantastic. I had to restart Reaper for working! Ok, now I can grow on these presets. I think to just make another Folder in the FX Instance for other Plugins or a complete new ReaLearn Instance?

Next Problem For my Omni Channel I do need 6 banks, banks are ready and work but no Leds yet.
The problem ist with the Sysex, I can switch on the LED for all banks but not out the others, so I have to send 2 Sysex Commands:

For example F0 00 20 29 02 11 78 00 11 7F F7 for the second LED ON
and F0 00 20 29 02 11 78 00 10 00 F7 for the first LED OFF then but I don't know how to send 2 Commands...

Second problem: I have seen in 7enz's video that he can control the volume of perhaps Track 1-3 and then Track 126-...
Means he controls only these Tracks which are marked to be seen in the Track control Panel (Or Muted ones), how is this possible? Not really clear for me in the video!
I have often a few Tracks not visible, but the faders control the volume of these...(I used Selected_TracK_Index + 0)

Thanks a lot

Bassman.
First problem: Each LED should be handled by a separate mapping (with the LED as source). Then this question can't even come up. Why are you trying to handle multiple LEDs with one mapping? What are you trying to achieve?

Second problem: I haven't seen 7enz's video. Maybe you ask him. I don't know of any function in ReaLearn that excludes hidden tracks from being controlled (e.g. via <Dynamic>). If you need to ignore hidden tracks, that would be a feature request.

Quote:
HI

Doesn't work again. Just for 1 Session it was OK, today I wanted to edit the Presets, but they refused to work again.

2 Instances with Basic Parameter and FX parameter.
Basic Setting do nothing at all and FX just works with 1 Instance of Omni Channel.

Started same Procedure again from Scratch(Deleted all ReaLearn Instances and used the made Controller Compartement), but no chance! It refuses to work on Basic Settings as with Auto-Load Settings.

All controllers just work on 1 FX Instance and I did the same as before, as written in the Manual.

Weird!

Bassman.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I, after it worked in the very first Track, moved the 2 Instances to Monitoring FX for to make it globally and it worked for this session!
I have no idea, that seems to be a more general MIDI/audio issue then. I suggest to use ReaLearn's logging functions to analyze what's really going on.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #2595
Bassman002

HI

Quote:
First problem: Each LED should be handled by a separate mapping (with the LED as source). Then this question can't even come up. Why are you trying to handle multiple LEDs with one mapping? What are you trying to achieve?
Nono, 1 mapping for each LED, but when I press Button 2 for second Bank or Tracks 9-16 LED 2 should go on (F0 ... 11 7F F7) and on the same time LED 1 should go out (F0 ... 10 00 F7), so we need 2 SysEx commands for each mapping.

That's different from sending to a toggle button with values 0 and 127!

How do I send 2 SysEx commands at the same time with 1 mapping?

With just 1 SysEx pressing all buttons one after another all LEDs are lit! (Or OFF)

Thanks
Bassman.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #2596
helgoboss

Quote:
HI

Nono, 1 mapping for each LED, but when I press Button 2 for second Bank or Tracks 9-16 LED 2 should go on (F0 ... 11 7F F7) and on the same time LED 1 should go out (F0 ... 10 00 F7), so we need 2 SysEx commands for each mapping.

That's different from sending to a toggle button with values 0 and 127!

How do I send 2 SysEx commands at the same time with 1 mapping?

With just 1 SysEx pressing all buttons one after another all LEDs are lit! (Or OFF)

Thanks
Bassman.
You can send 2 SysEx commands with 1 mapping, with the MIDI script source (Lua). But I tell you, that's not what you need.

You should only ever have *one* active mapping taking control of a particular LED, *never* more. Otherwise, multiple mappings fight for the same LED and that's going to be super confusing and obviously lead to wrong results.

The ReaLearn way of doing things is to make sure that the mapping which takes care of LED 1 switches the LED on as soon as track bank 1 (tracks 1 - 8) is active and switches it off as soon as another track bank is active. To do this, you need to set "Out-of-range behavior" to "Min" and set the target range correctly. I guess your target is "FX parameter: Set value", set to the internal ReaLearn parameter that you defined to represent the track bank. So in this case, you probably did set target min and max to 0 for the first bank (or 1 if you prefer to start counting from 1).

Oh, and you probably didn't do this as well: The pattern field of the "Raw MIDI" source needs to be "F0 00 20 29 02 11 78 00 10 [0gfe dcba] F7". Look it up if you want to know more: https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...aw-midi--sysex

Damn, I should really continue my video tutorials about this kind of stuff. ReaLearn gives much freedom in how one can approach things, but some ways work much better than others.

Last edited by helgoboss; 09-28-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:26 AM   #2597
Bassman002

Hi

Quote:

The pattern field of the "Raw MIDI" source needs to be "F0 00 20 29 02 11 78 00 10 [0gfe dcba] F7".
This was the missing link to switch the LEDs! Thanks a lot

I've read this a few times before but my brain refused to understand what it means.
Now that you wrote it, they are placeholders for the bits that send 7F or 00 to the controller!
Therefor the zero at the beginning, 7F don't need the very first bit

Quote:
Damn, I should really continue my video tutorials about this kind of stuff. ReaLearn gives much freedom in how one can approach things, but some ways work much better than others.
+100

Greetz
Heinz.

P.S. Nice you got the Controller Compartement for the Novation Launch Control. I'll send you the Main Compartement Preset(s) when ever it got finished
Old 09-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #2598
Bassman002

HI

@helgoboss

Now everything is working:

LEDs
Autoload Instance FX
8 Banks for Plugins with LEDs
Superior Mode

I found out why it didn't work:

I forgot (4.), FX to Preset Link, that's why it just worked for this only session.
Next time I tried to edit an Omnichannel with a foldertrack muted, then it doesn't work either! Very stupid faults

What I'm seeing so far that switching from a FX(Focus) to Normal Parameter (FX not in focus) as Volume does need a few seconds sometimes to work, is this normal?

But insomma it's fantastic! I have now to finish the preset(s), Omnichannel is a huge Channelstrip, but it will be fun as it is in Cakewalk with controlling all Parameters with a Midicontroller!

Down below now the video with "Moving with Faders" in Cakewalk.
1. Bars +-
2. Activating Modifier to move forward with values from 65 to 127 and backward with
values from 0-64.
3. Moving Marker +-
4. Moving Section +-
5. Moving Track +-
6. Zooming Vertically
7. Zooming Horizonally

Greetz and thanks
Bassman.

Would be very nice if we can make this work

https://youtu.be/pYDI19oqIOE

Last edited by Bassman002; 09-29-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #2599
Tije401

Default Auto-load mapping on 'none selected'

Hi,

I've ploughed a lot of forum posts and docs, but I can't seem to figure this one out:

I have realearn set up, so my midi-fighter auto-loads and controls the focused plugin. I configured a seperate controller through fixed hotkey / actions (bitfocus streamdeck, no realearn needed) to open the plugin living on a certain slot on the selected track. I press button 1 to open plugin 1 on the selected track. Realearn takes over and automatically applies the correct map for the plugin (in case I made mapping for it ofcourse, so Realearn knows what to auto-load). Works brilliantly!!

But what I would realy love to do is put the streamdeck out of the equation. It would me nice if I could do everything with the midifighter only and maybe so dynamic feedback of the track's state.

So:

I would like to auto-load a mapping in case NO plugin is focussed. So if the DAW is focussed so to speak. I want it to load a mapping with one rotary button to scroll through the selected tracks (works great) and the top two rows would be configured as push buttons to open a FX living in the corresponding slot. If there's a way to dynamically assign the lights of my midifighter to display if there's a effects present in that spot, that would spectacular, but just fixed positions is fine. Then mapping should be automatically switch again to a plugin-map. I can't seem to get it to work. I can't seem to switch back to a generic DAW mode. It's auto-load OR generic mapping.

I hope this post describes my problem clearly?

Off topic:
I am working on a script to dynamically populate the streamdeck (little oled push buttons) with the available plugins for the selected track. The oleds show plugin names and status. I have made a script with ReaPy that's close, but not stable enough yet. I will share it if I ever get around of getting a stable version.
Tije401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:07 PM   #2600
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tije401 View Post
Hi,

I've ploughed a lot of forum posts and docs, but I can't seem to figure this one out:

I have realearn set up, so my midi-fighter auto-loads and controls the focused plugin. I configured a seperate controller through fixed hotkey / actions (bitfocus streamdeck, no realearn needed) to open the plugin living on a certain slot on the selected track. I press button 1 to open plugin 1 on the selected track. Realearn takes over and automatically applies the correct map for the plugin (in case I made mapping for it ofcourse, so Realearn knows what to auto-load). Works brilliantly!!

But what I would realy love to do is put the streamdeck out of the equation. It would me nice if I could do everything with the midifighter only and maybe so dynamic feedback of the track's state.

So:

I would like to auto-load a mapping in case NO plugin is focussed. So if the DAW is focussed so to speak. I want it to load a mapping with one rotary button to scroll through the selected tracks (works great) and the top two rows would be configured as push buttons to open a FX living in the corresponding slot. If there's a way to dynamically assign the lights of my midifighter to display if there's a effects present in that spot, that would spectacular, but just fixed positions is fine. Then mapping should be automatically switch again to a plugin-map. I can't seem to get it to work. I can't seem to switch back to a generic DAW mode. It's auto-load OR generic mapping.

I hope this post describes my problem clearly?

Off topic:
I am working on a script to dynamically populate the streamdeck (little oled push buttons) with the available plugins for the selected track. The oleds show plugin names and status. I have made a script with ReaPy that's close, but not stable enough yet. I will share it if I ever get around of getting a stable version.
This has been asked by BassMan002 in one of the posts above. Please read my reply. 2 instances and making one superior is the solution.