Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-28-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Default Spitfire Audio British Broadcasting Corporation Symphony Orchestra

Seems a bit quiet here... Anyone take the plunge?

I know at least one person here that has and is still, no doubt, getting used to the library.

I am interested to hear of any experiences with this new library, positive and negative.

cheers

andy
Old 10-28-2019, 03:07 AM   #2
heda

I am be interested in opinions about it too.
some questions

Does it have close mics to sound dry to put it our own reverb? Or does it always have the characteristic room sound of it?

Is the plugin performance good? Worse thank Kontakt libraries? How much time does it take to load samples?

One of the problems... I don't see it compatible with Linux? I'm not on linux yet.. but it is in future plan so...
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:07 AM   #3
imagegod

Enjoy:

https://vi-control.net/community/thr...chestra.84345/
Old 10-28-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
Vish1211

I think it would be great if you look into this review before you buy as there are lot of shortcomings in the library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryI4...QGprFgc-1Vp9Sf

Cheers!
Vish1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
_Stevie_

Yes, especially for that pricetag. You basically pay for the names: BBC and Spitfire.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
sostenuto

For what is offered, $749. seems an attractive price. My reference points are: Vienna Symphonic Libraries and Orchestral Tools - Berlin Series.
In my case, BBCSO library size )~360 GB) is biggest problem, as it will require new SSD(s) for both DAW(s). I would have preferred strongly a LITE version in addition to current 'full' release.

Plenty of time to monitor early adopter comments over on VI-C Forum, as Intro price will likely apply during holidays with Spitfire Wishlist promo, and others. Commitment to BBCSO seems very high at SFA, and confidence is high that any notable issues will be resolved satisfactorily.

Hoping to see much more Orchestral Threads /Posts here, as this has become main focus over past few years.

( have same hopes for Plugin Alliance, as I have many of their VST plugins, yet all emphasize rock /pop, given Dirk Ulrich's background and focus. As Preset junkie, really miss starting points for Orchestral applications which most Plugins handle quite nicely. )

Last edited by sostenuto; 10-28-2019 at 08:20 AM.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
Softsynth

At 566GB download it sounds like a pretty massive sample library, so maybe a £679 price tag is justified as it is a top drawer product. This works out as £1.19 per GB of samples, and these aren't just a random collection of samples.
Clearly I'm not the target market for this as I thought a fair bit about getting Red Room Sketchpad for just £80 recently, but that was a mere 26GB download (a big chunk of samples for me) and that's supposed to be $299.
So Red Room Sketchpad was $3.80 per GB even in the sale and $11.50 per GB normally. That's a respected library.

I wouldn't have wanted a bigger library but serious orchestral guys will probably love this Spitfire BBC collab. The demos sound impressive as usual.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a...ony-orchestra/
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
_Stevie_

The issue is: they put a lot of money in the gazillions of mic positions instead of proper multisamples / velocity layers. Of course it's less work (in terms of $) to record several mic positions (in parallel), than recording more velocity layers.
No wonder 500GB sounds a lot in figures.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
Softsynth

Stevie,
Is there an equivalent library that you would suggest is better value, or a superior design?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
_Stevie_

It *really* depends on the use case. Personally, I am not a fan of orchestral packages. I started out with EWQLSO and still use it today, for some very specific things. But I also dismissed about 80% of the library.

The issue is: for startes, the BBC is too expensive and for professionals it is basically as well. Over the years you tend to acquire so many different libraries, that you are mostly covered on a very broad spectrum. And why spending 1000 bucks for a flute?

That being said, the East West Hollywood Orchestra is a very good value for what it delivers. The strings sound silky, the brass has "balls". I use their stuff on a daily basis. Woodwinds and perc are ok'ish. I think I got the whole package for around $400 in one of their countless sales. Downside is: it uses Play, although the player works okay here, it had huge issues in the past. But it is very solid these days. Apparently the Spitfire Audio player isn't right now.

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-28-2019 at 09:14 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
At 566GB download it sounds like a pretty massive sample library, so maybe a £679 price tag is justified as it is a top drawer product. This works out as £1.19 per GB of samples, and these aren't just a random collection of samples.
Clearly I'm not the target market for this as I thought a fair bit about getting Red Room Sketchpad for just £80 recently, but that was a mere 26GB download (a big chunk of samples for me) and that's supposed to be $299.
So Red Room Sketchpad was $3.80 per GB even in the sale and $11.50 per GB normally. That's a respected library.

I wouldn't have wanted a bigger library but serious orchestral guys will probably love this Spitfire BBC collab. The demos sound impressive as usual.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a...ony-orchestra/
..... and then there are recovering VSTi library addicts (comme moi) .... with RRA Sketchpad, Sonuscore - The Orchestra Complete, Orch Tools - BO-Inspire(s), Time Micro /Macro, Spitfire - ad nauseum
OTH .... lots of time to audition, explore, experiment; and variety is cool.

@ Stevie _ EWQLSO is enjoyed and respected by many. No criticism here, just started down different paths.
As pianist; Orch articulations are overwhelming, just as Percussion detail. With quasi-oldheimer ears, there is little justification for much more than freebie-quality Orchestral content. All that is meaningless come BlkFri onslaught ...

Regards
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
...Downside is: it uses Play, although the player works okay here, it had huge issues in the past. But it is very solid these days. Apparently the Spitfire Audio player isn't right now.
Cheers for the reply.
That would be a major concern to me also. I would want the software to be rock solid if I was spending megabucks like that.

Certainly the constant onslaught of these high price ticket large sample libraries would seem hard to sustain in the long run given what I presume is a modest size market.
Ultimately if we get enough CPU processing I imagine physical modelling and techniques like those used in Synful synthesizer (updated for modern CPUs) will ultimately replace bulky sample libraries, but for now...
Even now this old program sounds more natural or coherent than samples in some respects:
https://synfulauth.com/

Samples libraries tend to have to resort to weird gliding techniques between sampled notes that synful doesn't seem to suffer from. I hear these odd gliding sounds even on the most expensive sample libraries including this new one's demo tracks. It makes sample library music sound stitched together, instead of happening with an organic performance.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #13
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish1211 View Post
I think it would be great if you look into this review before you buy as there are lot of shortcomings in the library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryI4...QGprFgc-1Vp9Sf

Cheers!
Or this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAtZyWtRRaI
Old 10-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #14
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagegod View Post
Yeah, I've seen that and have been involved.

Thing is, no mention of experiences with REAPER.

I want to know about how REAPER peeps are getting on with this library.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #15
drfunkeys

Reaper + BBCSO user here. The ram problems are still there for windows. Uses 8-10 times what it reports, so on 16gb ram I can only get the main string patches and a few winds going at a time. They're pushing regular updates that have made small improvements. Load times are down from what they were. It all sounds great though and I'm finding it easier to compose with this than with the hodge podge of smaller libraries I had before.
drfunkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
drfunkeys

More updates have come out and it's working better now. You'll still want 32gb ram to really use it in windows.
drfunkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #17
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfunkeys View Post
More updates have come out and it's working better now. You'll still want 32gb ram to really use it in windows.
Thanks for the update
Old 12-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #18
_Stevie_

Is version 1.08 out? Someone on vi mentioned it some weeks ago, but it never appeared on my spitfire installer.