Old 12-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
bbmuddywolf
Human being with feelings

Default JS Volume Adjustment

Does anyone know how the JS Volume Adjustment plugin works? Does it act like a limiter? I had somewhere seen or heard that it was bing used as a gain staging plugin for setting initial gain levels on tracks. Does it actually reduce levels while keeping dynamics or does it more squash the whole to match specified levels?
bbmuddywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
DVDdoug

I would assume is simply a volume linear adjustment where a -3dB adjustment reduces every single sample by -3dB (exactly like an analog volume control).

Mathematically, it's multiplication. If you multiply each sample by two that's +6dB and multiplying by 0.5 is -6dB, etc.

An amplifier works similarly. A 20dB amplifier multiplies the input voltage by 10 (both the negative & positive halves of the waveform).
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

The Volume Adjustment slider is a straight multiply. Then whatever comes out of that is hard limited (clipped) at the level set by the Max Volume slider.

The code looks a little complicated because of the smoothing to keep it from clicking when you automate, but that’s all that happens. I set mine up so that the defaults are 0db gain and +150db limit so that it pretty much only clips if I ask it to.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote