Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
suchatravesty
Human being with feelings

Default Can Soundtoys be run as portable on a Reaper flash drive?

I'm thinking about dropping the money on the Soundtoys educational bundle since it's on sale right now. Is there anyone here that is able to run it portable within a portable Reaper install and move between computers? Or does it have to install a ton of crap into Windows directories to work?

I've managed to install Sonarworks headphone and Izotope software straight to my Reaper flash drive and truly run them as portable with Reaper. I do have to authenticate them each time I run them on a computer I've never used before but that is no problem for me. It would be nice to know that I can do that with Soundtoys since portability is a big thing for me.

I also wonder what other 3rd party software is able to be run this way if anyone has experience doing this.
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
suchatravesty

Short answer is yes, but no.

I bought it under the premise that no iLok dongle was required since that what was advertised on their site. This is true, but if you don't have the dongle, you have to install the iLok license manager on your computer so that the plugins can be authenticated online. I didn't like this but was willing to work with it, until I found out that the iLok license manager had to be installed on any computer you use since soundtoys have to authenticate every time you run them, not just once. If you want to authenticate offline, you have to use the iLok dongle.

Aside from that issue it will run as portable from a flash drive. Honestly I wasn't impressed much with the plugins themselves so this is a deal-breaker for me at this point. Luckily I was able to get my money back since I acted quickly.

Is there a master thread of commercial plugins that are able to be run as portable? I am able to use izotope plugins and editor, sonarworks, wilkinson audio Debleeder, and also at least one plugin-alliance vst as portable without issues. Maybe everything will as long as it's not iLok specific?
Old 12-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchatravesty View Post
Maybe everything will as long as it's not iLok specific?
No, many DRMs are bound to a machine (eg Arturia or Native Instruments) or a dongle (eg VSL using eLicenser). Though some vendors do not limit the number of activations. *

Waves offers the option to move the licenses to a USB stick **.

Masi

* Beware, if you install the licenses on many machines they might think you're "sharing" the keys and revoke the licenses.
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
suchatravesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post

* Beware, if you install the licenses on many machines they might think you're "sharing" the keys and revoke the licenses.
Good point. If I remember right everything I'm using says either "one computer at a time" or 3. Honestly I only use 2 different machines on a daily basis but it's nice to have the option if something comes up.