Old 11-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone else need Send MUTE OSC feedback ?

The title says it.

I control up to 8 send mutes and levels via a Lemur OSC page. Unfortunately Reaper has no OSC feedback for SEND MUTE states, so I have to trigger actions with touch buttons that provide no feedback about the current send mute status.

I find send mutes to be the most efficient way of turning sends on and off. Volume is just too error prone and less precise for setup as well.

Also, I route stuff with sends too, like so many dialogue mixers do. Sometimes I need a line to be processed by a denoiser channel with an 1176-style comp, sometimes with something else. I know a bunch of dialogue mixers that work this way, so I want to do it efficiently and with as few chances for errors as I can.

So, that's why I need OSC feedback for SEND MUTE states.

Do you need that too, in case you happen to read this thread ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:54 AM   #2
_Stevie_

Yup, need it, too. Been requesting it on several PREs without success.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 AM   #3
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
So, that's why I need OSC feedback for SEND MUTE states.

Do you need that too, in case you happen to read this thread ?
If you have only 8 sends, why not using tracks for sends, would mean only 8 additional tracks. The principle you can see in this old video of mine, at that time most people complained this everyone knows and uses already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJX7hBIvUnI
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
airon

The send mutes need to happen for individual tracks, sometimes across individual items., so this approach via tracks would not serve the same purpose. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
TonE

So you did not watch the video? In the video you should see, every individual track, you created a send to the send fx, gets its extra track, you can solo/mute/automate, everything is possible.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
_Stevie_

True, however, that method won't work with like +100 tracks. I mean it does, but it's just a crazy amount of work to create an additional send for every existing track.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
So you did not watch the video? In the video you should see, every individual track, you created a send to the send fx, gets its extra track, you can solo/mute/automate, everything is possible.

As Stevie pointed out, this approach will work well for one or two tracks, but I routinely deal with 30 to over 100 tracks.

Right now I have to check the very small send area on the MCP if I'm not sure whether the send is active or not. Listening for a low reverb send level is of course slower than just knowing .

So the OSC feedback for send mute states would be very helpful.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Cycle action toggles don't provide feedback? I was really hoping they did, because I finally got my no-feedback-whatsoever issues sorted after trying on and off for years...
Old 11-22-2018, 12:58 AM   #9
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
True, however, that method won't work with like +100 tracks. I mean it does, but it's just a crazy amount of work to create an additional send for every existing track.
No, not if you do it as suggested in the video. Example: You have 100 tracks, 1..100, and 8 send tracks, A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H. You would not create non-sensely all sends always, no, you just create whenever you need it, and because it is sooo easy and fast. This you have to ensure first. What you need for this, in most elegant form: 8 hotkeys, for selecting one of the send tracks A..H. Another hotkey for the action which does all. Finished. Hitting two keys will do the job. Always. No matter what I am doing currently.

Sub example: I am doing something with the guitars, and have a thought, oh "a little send to E would be nice here", I hit button E which selects track E. Now, usually I should see already my guitar track in tcp or mcp, as I was doing something with it anyway, so most probably my mouse is above this track in tcp or mcp, so I am assuming this step is almost always given. If not, make sure it is, mousover to the guitar track. Finally last step, hit another key which does all, meaning creating and naming the necessary tracks, and creating the routing, everything together.

Summary:
1- select send track
2- mouseover to guitar track
3- do everything automatically

Because everything would be automated, you can do it always as you go. The advantages are obvious, you see all send tracks in their best place, you see from their names immediately what is doing what, plus you have all control you can imagine, mute, solo, automation, feedback, midi mapping, osc mapping.

Because Reaper is so flexible it can make normally difficult tasks to a one hotkey task, so converting it to an easy task.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
_Stevie_

There is one drawback with this method: when muting the "send 1 track", the whole send will be muted.
Let's say you have the tracks Violins 1 and Violins 2 routed to the send 1 track (reverb) and you only want to hear Violins 1 without reverb, then you will have an issue, because this method will mute the reverb for all instruments that are routed to the send 1 track, e.g. for Violins 2. It's just not flexible enough.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
TonE

No, you are wrong. Did you watch the video? Guitars are not sent directly to the sends A..H, no, but instead as a child track to the send track. So you can just mute that track. More flexibility you can not have.

Last edited by TonE; 11-22-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #12
_Stevie_

Yes, I did watch the video very closely. Always up for learning new tricks. But either I don't understand it or there's some info missing.

As far as I can see, you create a reverb -> melo track, which acts as a middleman for the reverb.
Unless, I'm completely misunderstanding, I would need to create this middleman track for every audio track.
Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to selectively disable the reverb send.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #13
TonE

Of course, hitting a button is not difficult. Having auto-named tracks, later I could filter for reverb or melo, in both cases this track would be found as well.