Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 12-03-2020, 05:04 AM   #201
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talagan View Post
When I discovered the existence of high res velocity I was also surprised that it could make any difference. But it is probably useful if a precise range of samples is transformed and amplified in the MIDI chain, idk
As a Pianist using a very decent Midi keyboard (Kawai VPC 1), I would love to try higher resolution velocity. But neither the VPC 1 nor any of the plugins I use support this.

But as well the VPV1 as some Piano libraries do feature a velocity curve the allows for placing the 128 steps in different locations. But this is not very comfortable nor flexible.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #202
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Did some tests.

Did not ind out how to handle High Res CC input ?

-Michael
The high res CC input is a global setting (the trigger for global settings is the button in the bottom right of the screen, then you have a button to enable High Res MIDI input).

When that option is enabled globally, when choosing a MSB CC, it will (should) act as a high res CC input. That means, Mapper X will aggregate the MSB CC value + the counterpart LSB CC value into a floating value (the LSB counterpart is MSB + 32 when it is available). Then the curve is applied to that floating value, then, either you output it back on a low res CC or you can output as high res MIDI on a High Res capable CC (you should choose the MSB CC as output and Mapper X will output values on both MSB and LSB counterpart). To output CCs as High Res MIDI, you have to explicitly set High Res output too on the selected control. The same principles apply for velocity (but in the case of the velocity, it does not use MSB/LSB logic but CC#88 logic).

If everything goes well you should see green hints "[High Res]" labels on both input and output lines in the UI

highres.png

It can seem strange to enable high res input globally but high res output per-control, but that part was a bit hard to design correctly without having things clashing in the architecture.

(PS: the passthrough option on the screenshot is a spoiler for next version)

Last edited by Talagan; 12-03-2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: my english sucks
Talagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #203
Talagan

Hey all, V 4.2 is out through ReaPack!

For the same price, I offer you your original MIDI events.

Changelog
  • Added pass through option for every control type
  • Changed default value for the on/off transposition toggle of a keyboard range (now 'on' by default)

Install/Update notes

As usual, avoid updating MIDI CC Mapper X while having a project using an older version open. Just restart REAPER after update to take no risks.

Desc

The pass through option can be found on every control. When enabled on a control, if a MIDI event is caught by that control, MIDI CC Mapper X will re-emit the original, unmodified MIDI event that triggered the control in addition to the new, modified event.

So you can perform various kind of MIDI splits. This canonic option is available in MIDI CC Mapper (not X) and I've found it was missing.

Be careful when enabling this option : creating interferences between MIDI routes is easy, and you can do whatever-I-can't-think-about especially when trying to apply this on exotic MIDI events like polyphonic after-touch.

Last edited by Talagan; 12-06-2020 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Definitely cannot write a decent message in one shot
Old 12-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #204
mschnell

Quote:
The high res CC input is a global setting (the trigger for global settings is the button in the bottom right of the screen, then you have a button to enable High Res MIDI input).
In fact I don't like that idea. IMHO, it is a rather common usage case that one CC (or Velocity) is used as hiRes, while other are low Res.

AT can be HiRes as input, but seemingly not as output ?

-Michael
Old 12-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #205
Talagan

Quote:
In fact I don't like that idea. IMHO, it is a rather common usage case that one CC (or Velocity) is used as hiRes, while other are low Res.
I still need to think about it and see if and how I can change the paradigm to avoid interferences between controls. (Ex of clashing configuration : if one enables HR on a control A set on CC#0 channel 4, and builds an other control B on CC#32 channel 4, what should the plugin do with an event on CC#32 channel 4 ? Aggregate with CC#0 for control A, pass the event to control B, or do both maybe ? - the global option has the advantage to make it clear that you can't use CC#32-63 as standalone CCs if HR is enabled... but it's a constraint. I assumed that if you had a MIDI controller that was HR capable, it would be all or nothing. Maybe false assumption !).

Note though that if you enable the option it won't prevent you from using pure low-res CCs.

And CC#0-31 will aggregate CC#32-63 but this does not change anything if CC#32-63 are not used.

Quote:
AT can be HiRes as input, but seemingly not as output ?
This is a bug in the UI. It should not show "[High Res]" for AT, it's a lie I could not find any documentation about HR polyponic AT so nothing's implemented (I don't think that event exist). The same lie is displayed for Pitch Bend and needs to be corrected.

Last edited by Talagan; 12-06-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #206
Talagan

@mschnell : Michael, thanks for challenging the plugin. I'm slowly (not that slowly, in fact) changing my mind after your remarks and all the work that's been done so far. After thought and inspection, having the HR input option per-control fits the current architecture of the plugin and feels more natural. Of course, a user can always mess up his/her configuration and create clashing MIDI routes but hey this is life with funny and not painful errors. I'm more and more convinced so I'll prepare a V4.3 embedding those changes.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #207
mschnell

Quote:
I still need to think about it
In my recent JSFXes I used a very simple approach:

In a drop-down control (e.g. appropriately configured Slider) allow for selecting CC# as

0...127, 0HR ..31 HR, AT. All with appropriate names.
seems straight forwarded to me.
-Michael
Old 12-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #208
Talagan

Quote:
In my recent JSFXes I used a very simple approach:

In a drop-down control (e.g. appropriately configured Slider) allow for selecting CC# as

0...127, 0HR ..31 HR, AT. All with appropriate names.
seems straight forwarded to me.
-Michael
Yes, I do agree. It's a nice approach. I already treat Channel Pressure (what you call AT I think, monophonic AT) as a CC (CC#128) in Mapper X.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #209
Talagan

@mschnell : after thought, and having had a look at the MIDI spec, there's something that seems totally unclear to me. At the time I implemented HR Midi, it was obvious for me that the HR midi spec for CCs was LSB first, (LSB event arriving first, then arrives a companion MSB event) for two reasons :

1) CC#88 High Res for velocity is LSB first in the spec (it's even called "prefix"). A CC#88 always precedes a note event.

2) High Res should be compatible with low res. With LSB first, you can easily trigger on the MSB event (the significant event) while having the full information received (you just have to buffer the LSB and you can aggregate the two of them when the MSB arrives). With MSB first you have to ... wait for the LSB to make a decision. Or you glitch. And it is possible that the LSB event may never arrive. So it introduces latency, even glitches in the system.

But this is what the spec states :

Quote:
If 128 steps of resolution is sufficient the second byte (LSB) of the data value can be omitted. If both the MSB and LSB are sent initially, a subsequent fine adjustment only requires the sending of the LSB. The MSB does not have to be retransmitted. If a subsequent major adjustment is necessary the MSB must be transmitted again. When an MSB is received, the receiver should set its concept of the LSB to zero.
So it's even worse, since for economy reasons, a part of the 14-bit value may be omitted.

I'm not the only one finding the spec unclear and even buggy, on that point, see that discussion :

https://community.vcvrack.com/t/14-b...in-1-0/1779/62

Now I see that ReaControlMIDI sends MSB first then LSB. So I'm curious to know what choices you made on that part if you did implement support for High Res MIDI in your plugins.

Edit: After having checked all cases on the paper, it looks like that MIDI specification simply does not work at all without glitches on the receiver side, or other drawbacks. I'd be interested to be proven wrong if someone has some experience on HR Midi and I can develop further. (I'm talking about CC#0-31. For velocity, since in HR there's always a CC#88 LSB prefix, it is robust).

Last edited by Talagan; 12-08-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #210
TonE

Does high-res midi use 14-bits also for velocity? Would be cool and quite detailed if so.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #211
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Does high-res midi use 14-bits also for velocity? Would be cool and quite detailed if so.
Yes but it's a bit less than 14-bits, a few values are rejected IIRC : for MSB 0 any LSB value is forbidden (because MSB 0 is a note off, period). So you get something like (127 * 128 + 1) possible values instead of (128 * 128) values for 14-bit.

Last edited by Talagan; 12-07-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:50 PM   #212
mschnell

Quote:
(LSB event arriving first, then arrives a companion MSB event)
Not really. The LSB and MSB events can be transferred independently. For small changes usually only LSB is transferred. Non HR senders don't send LSB, but HR receivers should work decently on that by ignoring LSB . Hence the receiver is required to store both and create a new value whenever either comes in. The sender should send only one if the other does not change.

I am not sure about the details with velocity, Here I do suppse that the LSB is transferred first, as the MSB comes as a trigger.

-Michael
Old 12-09-2020, 02:03 AM   #213
Talagan

Quote:
Not really. The LSB and MSB events can be transferred independently. For small changes usually only LSB is transferred. Non HR senders don't send LSB, but HR receivers should work decently on that by ignoring LSB . Hence the receiver is required to store both and create a new value whenever either comes in. The sender should send only one if the other does not change.
Ok, thanks for your answer, Michael. That's what I thought. In fact this does not work (sorry to put it so bluntly ).

Suppose the following sequence of values to be transmitted (MSB,LSB) :

Code:
This will result in the following events :

Code:
MSB 65
LSB 1
LSB 123
MSB 66
LSB 2
LSB 87
The problem is that on the receiver side, with the MSB+LSB event trigger approach, you always create values for each received event, so you create values that do not exist (here you reconstruct 6 values instead of 4).

In some sequences this would probably work quite well, but here it's a problem see :

Code:
MSB 65  -> 65,0
LSB 1   -> 65,1
LSB 123 -> 65,123
MSB 66  -> 66,123  --> MEGA GLITCH
LSB 2   -> 66,2
LSB 87  -> 66,87
In a monotonous ascending sequence you will create sawtooth steps when the LSB is high.

That's the reason why, I think, they say to clear the LSB to zero on MSB events : to be sure there's no trailing LSB and keep the monotony.

BUT.

It does not work for a monotonous descending sequence. If you create an example of a sequence with descending values like the precedent one, you'll see that the 0-cleared MSB events will create sawtooth steps too.

If you try (as I did) to search on a paper if there's an implementation that works among all those possibilities (LSB first, MSB first, trigger or not on LSB, trigger or not on MSB), you'll see that all have problems. The only one which is almost ok is MSB first, trigger on LSB only. But this means that if the emitter is low res, you trigger on nothing and it does not work, so you're not low res compatible.

For all of those reasons, I don't see how it's possible to implement this correctly without forward event lookup and timeouts (and even then it might be glitchy for some other reasons).

Last edited by Talagan; 12-09-2020 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #214
mschnell

Quote:
For all of those reasons, I don't see how it's possible to implement this correctly without forward event lookup and timeouts (and even then it might be glitchy for some other reasons).
I do see that you are correct.

Of course if both values change (e.g. 23,127 -> 24,0), the sender will issue both messages. independent of which is sent first a glitch will appear.

I also don't see a way to avoid this other than by implementing some kind of delay waiting if the other message might be detected. Not nice at all !
Of course with use of USB this delay can be very short. but also rather undefined.

In fact Reaper uses an implementation of a HR Midi receiver for parameter modulation in [Param] -> Parameter Modulation Midi link.
No idea how they do that.

Let me know if you find out more...
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-10-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:19 AM   #215
Talagan

Yes, no problem. Thanks for confirming

I'm a bit a bit flooded by work atm, so I'll continue thinking about it for a few days before starting an implementation.

So far, my preferred solution is :

1) Propose HR on a control input or output only if a LSB cc is selected (instead of MSB in the current version).

2) Don't emit events on MSB, just store the MSB for subsequent LSB values.

3) On LSB, reconstruct the value, and ALWAYS send MSB+LSB for the new value.

That way, the UI will be more coherent, in that sense that it makes it clear that HR in Mapper X is LSB-driven. The implementation should not jitter (except on initial values if the very first MSB is missing, which is acceptable, say). This will also normalize the flow to always prefix with the MSB but that will use more bandwidth on the output. But we're in 2020 so I don't think it's shocking especially when we see how that MSB-economy thing is a problem. That issue will simply disappear with MIDI 2.0 in a (near ?) (future ?)

Also, I really don't feel like implementing forward lookup and timeout mechanisms ; in JSFX it's not that easy to have queues and delays and the source for MIDI Mapper X is already big so I admit I'd like to avoid an implementation nightmare .

So it's probably no surprise that HR MIDI is quite obscure and confidential. I would have expected more from the spec than "oh yeah maybe you'll have some jitter so put the MSB at 0 (and pray... oh wait, it won't probably work... pray more)", especially when you're trying to propose fine-grained resolution and the jitter is potentially of the size of your MSB! The receiver design is left to the person implementing it, but I find that part should have been more documented.

PS : One possible option I see for forward lookup is when you receive a MSB, get the next MIDI event. If it's not the companion LSB, handle the MSB event as stand-alone (and then handle the next event). If it's the companion LSB, handle the pair (and eat the LSB event). If there's no next event in the @block, handle as stand-alone (@block is thus used as a kind of timeout). Even then, I make suppositions and I'm not sure it's clean. It also implies that you need to implement a rolling system currentEvent/nextEvent when you midirecv to offer forward lookup without crazy push/pop mechanisms.

Last edited by Talagan; 12-10-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:27 AM   #216
Talagan

FI, the guys from Haken (Continuum Fingerboard) speak about that problem too on their website and how they use their own protocol extension to solve the problem.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:03 AM   #217
mschnell

We are in a kind of catch 22, here.

When doing a HR CC Midi sender, you just only send the 7 bits that changed, to allow for optimum efficiency of the data stream.

When doing a device that uses HR CC for a dedicated purpose (Filter, Volume, ...) you do know how fast your device reacts on changes and you easily can implement an appropriate hold-off to be save with the glitches.

This obviously is how HR Midi CC is supposed to work.

But if we are an intermediate "Mapper", we are f***ed, as we don't know how to set the delay.

I suggest that the only decent way is to provide a slider that allows for setting the delay according to the application in question. The default value should be according to the plain old 5-pin Midi definition: 3 Bytes, with 10 bits each -> 30 Bit @ 50 KBaud -> 0.6 mSec -> say 1 mSec.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-18-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #218
Talagan

Hi Michael, I do agree with you in the fact that it's complicated to implement a non-intrusive mapper here and that we have to make choices. I have an additional remark : it looks like ReaControlMidi always emits the MSB event even if the MSB does not change (when you select a HR control in ReaControlMidi and move the slider with the mouse it can be easily observed with a MIDI logger put right after in the stack). It does comfort me in doing the same for the calculated output of Mapper X and avoid making the economy of the MSB.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #219
mschnell

As you don't know the sender of the messages, not using a holdoff delay seems to be viable as an option, but not as the only one.
OTOH, if you do a completely direct translation based on the stored part of the value (this is how my implementations work nowadays), there is much hope that the receiver will implement a holdoff for the reasons we discussed, and by this any glitch produced by the mapping should be filtered out, anyway. Hence this is a viable option as well.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-19-2020 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #220
cjunekim

Default 14-bit midi cc wrong implementation?

The high resolution midi message implementation might be wrong in Midi CC mapper X.

The order is in LSB and then MSB, but it should be MSB and then LSB, I think.

Please have a look into a github issue page that I created : https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/76
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #221
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
The high resolution midi message implementation might be wrong in Midi CC mapper X.

The order is in LSB and then MSB, but it should be MSB and then LSB, I think.

Please have a look into a github issue page that I created : https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/76
Thanks @cjunekim for reporting! This problem is the subject of our recent discussion with @mschnell and it's already in the pipe but needs a bit of rework to make things clear in the plugin. Should be on rails in a few days If you're interested in why it's not that trivial and easy to handle 14-bit MIDI messages, you can have a read of the preceding 10 messages or so.

Last edited by Talagan; 12-26-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #222
Talagan

Adding notes for the next development. From what I've observed :

- ReaControlMIDI always outputs MSB+LSB for 14-bit controls. So it does not try to make the economy of the MSB when emitting. REAPER's choice here is greedy (and I think that's for the best).
- When drawing in a 14-bit CC lane, REAPER always adds a MSB and a LSB event. So same remark as precedent.
- When sending unconnected LSB and MSB events for a same 14-bit control, REAPER does not show LSB events in the 14-bit CC Lane. It only shows MSB events. So in the way it displays the 14-bit CC Lane, REAPER considers that a 14-bit CC event is made of a necessary MSB event and an optional LSB event. If both MSB and LSB are present at the same time, the aggregated value in the 14-bit CC lane is the sum of the MSB + LSB.
- If a LSB event precedes an MSB event but is not synchronized with it, the value in the 14-bit CC Lane does only take the MSB event into account and does not aggregate the preceding LSB.
- Selecting an event in the 14-bit CC Lane will select corresponding events in the MSB AND LSB lanes if they are synchronized. Of course, the reverse is not true. So it's easy to screw up the synchronization between the MSB and LSB lanes and end up with unsynchronized events when editing things separately.

Pheeeewwww. It's gonna be hard to make a clean, easy to understand implementation.

Last edited by Talagan; 12-27-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:40 AM   #223
mschnell

When analyzing the working of Midi events in reaper itself it should be considered, how Midi events are "timed" within Reaper - but not when send out to or received by hardware and not necessarily when handled by any plugins.

All Midi events are associated with sample blocks and denoted by an offset in samples. So effectively they are associated with a single sample. If multiple midi events are associated with the same sample their precedence is random, (In fact I did see that their sequence can be swapped).

Hence a discussion if first sending or receiving MSB or LSB is futile for Midi events that are sent by a JSFX (in the same @block call and with the same offset). You need to be aware of any order, but you don't need any special handling if both are received in that way.

OTOH, you can't be sure that some previous plugin or hardware creates the events as "singles" for more efficiency. Or if there is a delay of any kind that produces a pair with different offset or even in different blocks.

BTW you might consider to create a sequence order by incrementing the offset, but here I don't know what will happen in the (rare) case that the offset is greater that the sample block size.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-08-2021 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #224
SeanTypedThis

Default Range based CC Eater?

Hi Talagan!

Every time I look up, this plugin just gets more an more impressive...if it could load keymaps, I might be able to do away with ReacontroMIDI altogether, haha. I have been struggling to find a solution to a particular issue, though, I couldn't exactly figure out if this was possible with Mapper X:

Could this plugin have an option to discard or "eat" all midi CC messages within (or above) a specified value?

Plenty of plugins can filter out a MIDI CC altogether, but I can't find any that would let me say filter CC20 Value 64-91.

Do you think that would be within scope or easy to implement?

Also, thanks for all the work on the documentation, I know that will make this way more accessible to people just getting to know the plugin!

Thanks again, hope you are doing well!
Old 02-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #225
Talagan

Hey Sean, thanks again for your interest and your warm words!

Quote:
Could this plugin have an option to discard or "eat" all midi CC messages within (or above) a specified value?

Plenty of plugins can filter out a MIDI CC altogether, but I can't find any that would let me say filter CC20 Value 64-91.

Do you think that would be within scope or easy to implement?
That could be a nice addition, but would need to be thought about a little bit. Because I'm sure that once the feature is out, one single range will not be enough

One approach I could propose though (the one I use when I need to do what you describe) is to zero-ify the values on the curve for the range you want to filter out. But it's not really a drop and I'm not sure if zero-ifying is enough for your needs. In case it could work for you and if you need more precision that just the drawing zone you can use the export/lib feature to zero-ify precisely the MIDI values between 0 and 127 you want to "silence" and thus you can work on more than one range.

Ben

Last edited by Talagan; 02-09-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #226
SeanTypedThis

Hey Ben!

Haha, I had a feeling I was starting to overcomplicate this particular plugin with my request, it already does so many great things.

I did enquire with another generous developer, DarkStar, on one of his threads before I thought to ask on yours and, after voicing a similar concern about complicating an existing plugin, he actually made something really quick that works exactly like I was needing:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....24#post2403624

However, I think your idea might have pushed past a block I was having. I kept thinking that using the curves in your plugin would not work because it would range the cc values, affecting the output of the messages I wanted to keep, rather than simply discarding the ones I cut out, but I was probably thinking too linearly. I never even considered just dropping a range in the curve and then resuming after it. That will definitely be food for thought in other use cases.

But for now, I think just having a separate plugin will simplify things. I agree with both you and DarkStar, it would be a nice addition to existing plugins, but it can get out of hand, and complicated from an integration standpoint very quickly, and that's the last thing I want to advocate for with functional plugins.

Thanks as always!
Old 02-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #227
Talagan

Awesome you had such a quick answer from DarkStar and that you're not blocked waiting for a solution! Lightning fast. Amazing

Quote:
However, I think your idea might have pushed past a block I was having. I kept thinking that using the curves in your plugin would not work because it would range the cc values, affecting the output of the messages I wanted to keep, rather than simply discarding the ones I cut out, but I was probably thinking too linearly. I never even considered just dropping a range in the curve and then resuming after it. That will definitely be food for thought in other use cases.
And this is food for me too, thanks! After having thought about it given your remarks, one solution I see, if dropping is important, would be to add an option : drop message if the **output** is below (could be changed to "above") a given threshold. That way, one could make use of the curve editor to zeroify any unwanted input value AND drop them. A kind of CC limiter/blocker/silencer.

I keep the idea on a todo list, I'm still stuck in the middle of the High Res CC refactoring which is not easy to do (and was very busy lately).

Thanks a lot again Sean!
Old 02-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #228
SeanTypedThis

Quote:

I keep the idea on a todo list, I'm still stuck in the middle of the High Res CC refactoring which is not easy to do (and was very busy lately).

Thanks a lot again Sean!
It never ceases to amaze me how giving some developers can be of their free time.
As always, no rush on my part, and many thanks. 👍🏾
Old 03-25-2021, 04:09 AM   #229
mschnell

FR:

It would be nice to assign hidden faders to the parameters to allow for automation. (Or are there other ways ?)

-Michael
Old 12-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #230
TonE

Just want to say hello to all friends and Talagan, coming closer to Christmas 2021. Thanks for all your great sharings, work, help, support of each other. This is how it should be anywhere, but is not.

UPDATE: To give the post more online content. How are you using Midi CC Mapper X by master Talagan or Ben, thanks Ben! On which problem situations does Midi CC Mapper X help you? (Just for collecting use case ideas. Could be useful for a bonus section in the manual.) From my side, I never dived into this tool, maybe its time has come! I will try to play with it a bit, and building some multi-track setups (templates), just to check how this tool can help here! As input I have Bitstream 3X, k-board (sensitive pads), nanopad2 (less sensitive pads, but nice form, can be used as midi guitar with 2 strings ), LPD8 (a bit harder pads), thats it. As I am using mostly k-board, I will explore first, what crazy combinations can have effects, so k-board sensitivity + behind it MIDI CC Mapper X.

As a side topic, but related: I am missing so far, some XOR (exclusive or, only one channel should be unmuted at a time, never two or more, thus whenever you unmute a track, rest of the tracks should mute) muting capability. This can be useful I guess as well, as a very general concept. Adding to our Reaper arsenal of tools. Have a nice day friends.

Last edited by TonE; 12-15-2021 at 07:45 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #231
dave_t

Quote:
...How are you using Midi CC Mapper X by master Talagan or Ben, thanks Ben! On which problem situations does Midi CC Mapper X help you?...
I use Midi Mapper X for mapping my MIDI controller messages (Novation Launchkey 49) to control the parameters of either VST instruments on a track, or hardware synths via MIDI out to my interface (Focusrite Scarlett 4i4).

For example, I use it most often to control the Organized Trio organ VST live - I've mapped sliders to the organ drawbars, buttons to turn Leslie on and off, the mod wheel to make Leslie fast or slow, knobs to control keyclick volume, etc. etc. Looking up the MIDI CC inputs in the user manuals of my hardware synths, I've created presets so I can control some of the parameters of a MicroKorg, Volca Keys, MeeBlip Geode and a Roland boutique synth remotely from the Launchkey.

It's fantastic! The knobs and sliders correspond very well with the controls on the Launchkey.

I've made images of the setups with the parameter names superimposed on an image of the Launchkey, so I can remember which control does what.

I've tried the keyboard layers once or twice just to experiment, but I haven't really learned that in depth.

$0.02
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #232
mozart999uk

Hi all. Is there a way to make this plugin gui bigger?

It's really tiny on my setup. Well tiny for my aging eyes :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:26 PM   #233
sylion

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for your feedback and again for your excellent suggestion.
can you add pitch bend value inverse function as a choice ?
input pitchbend value = x
output pitchbend value = -x

then pitchbend down change to pitchbend up , and up change to down .

in my wind controller YAMAHA WX5, operate pitchbend up more easier than pitchbend down .
sylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:06 AM   #234
fadiese

Default Automation of the response curve

Hi, I'd like to be able to adjust the response curve of my CCs over time. It doesn't seem possible with the Midi CC Mapper X.

For this to be possible we would need to have access the parameters that define the response curve. For my specific needs, I only need to do a scaling of the CC, so my parameter would be a multiplier m > 0, so that the response curve is "f(x) = min(127, m * x)"

My use case is to modulate the multiple expression CCs of a group of tracks. Let's say I record a section of 16 solo strings playing in unison, each with its own expression CC. Later on, when I need to balance the whole orchestra, I might want a string passage to be quieter or louder, and rather than acting on volume, I would rather work directly on the expression CC because it impacts the actual timbre of the instruments. Unfortunately, redrawing the CC for each instrument is not practical. What I need is to be able to influence the whole group at the same time, like with volume automation, but acting on CC instead.
fadiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #235
Dex

It doesn't appear to be possible (currently) with CC mapper X, since CC mapper X is not automatable.

However, you can add an instance of "Midi Convert To CC" after CC mapper X, and automate its "Min CC Value" and "Max CC Value" sliders in the output section. Incoming CC values are rescaled to that range. If you want to increase the dynamics (cc values), just move the min cc value up. If you want to decrease the dynamics, just move the max cc value down.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 12:16 PM   #236
Talagan

Hi all, I have pushed V4.3 on ReaPack.

ChangeLog
  • Moved HighRes MIDI input option from global settings to per-control setting
  • Reworked HighRes MIDI CC input with one-event-forward lookup for LSB, and output with MSB/LSB order
  • Reworked pitch bend MSB/LSB calculations to fix corner cases
  • Added pitch bend reverse button
Install/Update notes

As usual, avoid updating MIDI CC Mapper X while having a project using an older version open. Just restart REAPER after update to take no risks.

Comments

Very sorry for the long wait! I had made half of the work quite a long time ago, but it was not finished, and was then busy with personal matters.

The High Res CC refactoring was quite hard to implement for me and I had to make implementation choices resulting from the discussion we had a few months (years ?) ago with @mschnell. The new implementation tries to stick more to the MIDI specification, first thing being the MSB/LSB order issue. The strategy chosen here is not perfect, but at least it will not introduce latency on MIDI events. MIDI CC Mapper X implements a simple one-event-forward lookup and will do the following : in the context of a **block** (REAPER handles samples and midi events by blocks), for a HighRes input control :

- if a MSB event is received, Midi CC Mapper X will look at the next event **within the block**
- if it is a matching LSB event (CC#N+32), aggregate its value to the MSB value
- else (no event or not a matching LSB event), use ZERO as LSB value
- if a LSB event is received, Midi CC Mapper X will use the last known corresponding MSB event and aggregate both of them

In both cases, one event is emitted (simple resolution output) or two events are emitted (HR output).

Regarding High Res output, Midi CC Mapper X will ALWAYS output two events (MSB, then LSB), so that the flow of events is clear and not subject to context.

The input implementation assumes that a HR controller will always output a LSB event immediately after a MSB event, as fast as possible, and without interruption. If it's not the case there is a risk of glitch (either because another independent event is intertwined between the MSB and LSB events, or because the LSB event does not arrive in the same block as the MSB event).

Hope everyone will enjoy this new version !

Last edited by Talagan; 10-22-2022 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #237
Talagan

Quote:
Just want to say hello to all friends and Talagan, coming closer to Christmas 2021. Thanks for all your great sharings, work, help, support of each other. This is how it should be anywhere, but is not.

[...]On which problem situations does Midi CC Mapper X help you? (Just for collecting use case ideas. Could be useful for a bonus section in the manual.)
First @TonE, thanks a lot for your warm words just before last year's Christmas. I feel ashamed to reply so late, almost getting close to next Christmas. Let's say the new version is an early gift (*grins*) and my path to redemption

My main use for MIDI CC Mapper X is the same as when I designed it at the very first place : I wanted to have some kind of "X-Wing" view of my MIDI setup, with the ability to merge and re-route multiple devices, modify their feel/behaviour... I always put a MIDI CC Mapper X in front of my VSTs, so I can give a clear scope to them : change the response curves, make assignations for faders/knobs, reroute things to avoid to change the routing inside the VST itself (which is not always possible) and I use a lot the firewall options to prevent the VST from being accidentally misconfigured by moving the wrong fader/knob.

That way, I have my "instrument" under control. It behaves like I want, does not go beyond what I want. Each physical knob/fader has its chosen role, and for example, if a fader is meant to control the vibrato of a VST, I would use Mapper X to define a curve that fits my exact needs : the feel, but also the boundaries, having the full range of the physical control fit exactly the minimum and maximum tolerable amounts of vibrato I want to send to the VST.

It is some kind of virtual lutherie I'd say !

Last edited by Talagan; 10-22-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:39 PM   #238
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Hi all. Is there a way to make this plugin gui bigger?

It's really tiny on my setup. Well tiny for my aging eyes :-)
Awwww I'm really sorry for that ! The problem is that the GUI is already really big, and it's reached the critical size where it cannot grow anymore on my 13 inches mac :/ . Have you tried the light theme ? (available in the global settings of the plugin). Maybe it's more readable ... don't hesitate to give me a feedback.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #239
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylion View Post
can you add pitch bend value inverse function as a choice ?
input pitchbend value = x
output pitchbend value = -x

then pitchbend down change to pitchbend up , and up change to down .

in my wind controller YAMAHA WX5, operate pitchbend up more easier than pitchbend down .
Available in V4.3

This was an easy feature request to implement, thanks for asking ! A really interesting feature to have, since it allows to build some configurations which were not possible. And nostalgically, it reminds me of old discussions about inverted joysticks XD.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #240
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
It doesn't appear to be possible (currently) with CC mapper X, since CC mapper X is not automatable.

However, you can add an instance of "Midi Convert To CC" after CC mapper X, and automate its "Min CC Value" and "Max CC Value" sliders in the output section. Incoming CC values are rescaled to that range. If you want to increase the dynamics (cc values), just move the min cc value up. If you want to decrease the dynamics, just move the max cc value down.
Thanks @Dex for having given a possible solution to @fadiese !

Quote:
FR:

It would be nice to assign hidden faders to the parameters to allow for automation. (Or are there other ways ?)

-Michael
Both of you are raising the question of making the plugin automatable. It's a problem I've already thought about, but I don't have any satisfying proposition yet... MIDI CC Mapper X is one big entity, and it has a lot of parameters, but I don't know if some of them are really relevant for automation. The first problem being that a REAPER plugin has only a limited number of automatable params so this would mean having a complex UI to link the plugin sliders to inner params. The second is that one of the interesting feature (the curves) are coded as array of values, so I don't really see any way to expose something worthy for automation on that part. Maybe the best way is still to complement Mapper X with other simpler plugins that are themselves automatable ? (just like Dex's solution for the precedent problem).

Last edited by Talagan; 10-22-2022 at 01:07 PM.