Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-27-2020, 05:24 AM   #1
spoonsword
Human being with feelings

Default A question about MIDI values, knobs and multiple project tabs...

I've been experimenting with playing some of my stuff live but I've stumbled into a problem.

I've made a simple filtering solution where I assign a knob to a master track filter in all projects.

But the knob outputs absolute values (0-127) - so if I engage the filter in project 1, change tab and try to engage the filter in project 2 the filter will jump directly to a value adjacent to the value I ended up using on project 1 since the value output is absolute.

So, here's a question before I go out and spend money: What will happen if I assign the filters to an ENDLESS encoder (like the Midi Fighter Twister)? Will all values be relative to the adjusted parameter's previous value?

Last edited by spoonsword; 11-27-2020 at 05:29 AM.
spoonsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello spoonswordand welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
I think so, but before you do that try setting the "Soft Takeover" option in the MIDI Learn:

And, try out those Enable options too.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
spoonsword

I've been digging through a lot of docs and videos already, but thanks anyway. One can never have enought of that.

Anyway, I fiddled around with soft takeover, but that doesn't work across tabs so that's out the window.

I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LBdXXcg7g

But is it really that convoluted to get endless encoders working like this in Reaper? The video is more than 1½ year old so I'm hoping that won't be the case anymore...
spoonsword is offline   Reply With Quote