Old 09-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
Sedativ
Human being with feelings

Default Mixes sound louder in Reaper

Hello,

I've been using Reaper for some time now, but I always had this "problem". Everytime I am making a song, the overall volume is louder than it is when I am playing the mixdown on my laptop. I am using a Behringer UCM1820 as my main audio interface and I also use it to playback music on my laptop when I am listening to music on YouTube or elsewhere.

I have also downloaded music from YouTube, imported it in Reaper and it sounds louder.

Since I am using the same device to playback, both in Reaper and on Windows, could this be a Reaper thing?

The thing is, whenever I am mixing I tend to lower the reference volume using the interface's knob, but I want to keep it at the same level, both when using Reaper and when using Windows and I want the mixdown to sound at the same level.

Can you give me an advice on how to solve this? Thank you.
Sedativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Reaper bypasses Windows' internal player and its effects. Maybe you have some setting in Windows that lowers the volume?

Test with different audio systems in Reaper. Preferences > Device, there you can select the Audio system: DirectSound, WaveOut, ASIO, WASAPI.
Is it equally loud irrespective of what you choose there?