Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 12-31-2021, 07:56 AM   #1
lossius
Human being with feelings

Default JS on macOS - parameter values can be set to exceed slider range

I notice that on macOS (I have not tested on Windows) it is possible to set JS FX parameter values outside of the specified slider range when typing as a numerical value.

As an example the range of the Azimuth parameter in the ATK for Reaper Planewave encoder is 180 - -180, and the range for elevation is -90, 90:

slider1:0<180,-180,1>Azimuth Left (mouse)
slider2:0<-90,90,1>Elevation

If I type in angular values for both of these parameters from the nuber boxes to the right of the sliders, I can set values outside of these ranges. E.g. I can set elevation to 120 and azimuth to 510. Depending on the plugin, such values might become completely meaningless or even harmful (e,g. when controlling feedback).

Is this intended behaviour? If so, how and when is it meant to be beneficial? If I do not want range to be trespassed, do I need to add protecting code in the individual plugin?
lossius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossius View Post
Is this intended behaviour? If so, how and when is it meant to be beneficial? If I do not want range to be trespassed, do I need to add protecting code in the individual plugin?
Yes, a plug-in should validate the parameters as appropriate. Sometimes there's a commonly-useful range and a potentially useful-range which differ
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:27 AM   #3
lossius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yes, a plug-in should validate the parameters as appropriate. Sometimes there's a commonly-useful range and a potentially useful-range which differ
Thanks, Justin. Am I right that the only way to access the "potentially useful-range" is by typing in numbers? I tried combining several automation items to have automation add up past the slider range, but when the automations are summed and passed to the plugin, the sum appears to be clipped to the "commonly-useful" range.

With ambisonics, venturing beyond the "commonly-useful" indeed is useful, e.g. to automate rotations spanning several orbits. This, of course, will be the most useful if it can be controlled by automation.
lossius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:17 AM   #4
akademie

In fact that is very powerful feature of Reaper, that even though effect offers only some specific range of values for the given parameter, we as users are allowed to manually type-in value out of this range to our advantage.
I use it very very often (for example for LFO speeds and filter resonances (e.g. where even 0.0 produces still some resonance, but -0.15 (negative) sound much more solid etc.

BTW, Justin, it would be super useful and user-friendly if such "out of slider range" values could be e.g. colored in red just to remind and indicate that they are out of range, if possible please.

Last edited by akademie; 01-01-2022 at 04:59 AM. Reason: some minor text editing
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

Yes automation moves the slider. The slider only goes so far. Nothing can make it go further. You can edit the JS to expand those limits, though, so that as far as the slider goes is as far as you’d actually like to go.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote