Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default As many Windows plugins as I could want

This was sort of a challenge to myself to see how many virtual Windows instruments running in WINE on Linux, I could stick in one song. Looks like eleven is about where I can't think of another part that won't step on the other parts. Anyway . . .

I still think in a two inch 24 track tape mindset, and was able to come up with 22 tracks with a bunch of Windows instruments. Superior Drummer 2 played from my plain and unexciting rubber pad kit, five instances of Kontakt for rhythm, solo guitars, hand percussion, bass, and tenor saxophone. Native Instruments B4 Organ, ToonTrack Piano Essentials Wurlitzer, Arturia MiniMoog V, plus Creative Labs Proteus VX Bag-o-Trix and Clavinette.

I'm playing everything but the drums on my MidiMan Keystation 61 midi keyboard, and recorded it piece at a time as I wrote the parts. The drums were a first take, one shot recording playing my pad kit and triggering the Windows plugin Superior Drummer 2, and they were recorded after all but the solos were finished. I had to eventually bump the latency in REAPER to 256 which is higher than I've ever needed, but this is pure Windows VST plugins on every track, using up almost all the 6GB RAM in my ancient DAW.

I call this one "Broken Windows" at:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14078035
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:40 AM   #2
Charango

Very cool Glennbo! It made me think of a group I used to listen a lot to way back in the day: Camel ‎– Moonmadness album 1976 Progressive Rock.
I love when it starts to "open out" and get free around 1'35, even starting to sound a bit Zappa-ish!
Keep up the good work!
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
Very cool Glennbo! It made me think of a group I used to listen a lot to way back in the day: Camel ‎– Moonmadness album 1976 Progressive Rock.
I love when it starts to "open out" and get free around 1'35, even starting to sound a bit Zappa-ish!
Keep up the good work!
Thanks Charango! I went and played the Moonmadness album on YouTube. Very cool stuff. Don't know how I missed them back in the day. Looks like a Roger Dean album cover. I've been a Frank Zappa fan since I was eleven years old when I first got my first Zappa album, "The Mothers of Invention - Absolutely Free". That middle section was my favorite to play in the song.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
ivansc

Nice stuff, Glennbo.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Nice stuff, Glennbo.
Thanks Ivan. The only real difference I saw using all Windows VSTi instruments in Linux vs doing the same in Windows was in the mixing phase I had to increase the audio buffer in REAPER to 256, where in Windows I'd have been able to leave it at 64 which was what I used in the tracking phase.

This was sort of an endurance test for me though, because normally I would have used a real bass, real guitars, and real acoustic drums. I specifically wanted to see if I could do a project consisting of nothing but Windows VSTi instruments running in WINE on Linux and for my compositional style, the answer is yes.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I had to eventually bump the latency in REAPER to 256 which is higher than I've ever needed, but this is pure Windows VST plugins on every track, using up almost all the 6GB RAM in my ancient DAW.
No longer true! On the new Ryzen 3700X DAW this project plays like butter using the same 64 sample block size as all the initial tracking was done with. The project is running in the background with email, news, web browser, and other stuff with no sign of a struggle in REAPER. From here on I'll be able to just leave it on 64 and never think about it again. And all the fans are dead quiet.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:57 AM   #7
Mr. PC

Just to be clear, you're using the Windows Linux with Wine; not the Linux version of Reaper?
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
Just to be clear, you're using the Windows Linux with Wine; not the Linux version of Reaper?
I'm using the native Linux version of REAPER on this but all the instruments are Windows VSTi plugins that are running in WINE and being bridged to Linux/REAPER using the bridge "LinVST".
Old 08-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm using the native Linux version of REAPER on this but all the instruments are Windows VSTi plugins that are running in WINE and being bridged to Linux/REAPER using the bridge "LinVST".
Oh, awesome!! I really gotta try that. Maybe it's at the point where I'll have not-more headache trying to make things run in Linux than I would on Windows.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
Oh, awesome!! I really gotta try that. Maybe it's at the point where I'll have not-more headache trying to make things run in Linux than I would on Windows.
For my compositional style of writing for a band or ensemble, I still have lots of breathing room. This test project had eleven Windows VSTi instruments, including two GB drum sample data.

Normally I would have recorded real bass, drums, and guitars, only adding sampled pianos, multi-instrument horn or string sections, Etc.

As long as you aren't composing 100 piece orchestral stuff, you can easily run Windows VSTi's and VST's unless they have nasty copy protection like PACE/iLok.