Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 08-09-2020, 03:02 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default My theme causes erroneous routing indication?

I'm trying to get rid of a visual problem I have, probably related to the theme.

I'm using my own 99% self-made theme and work templates, and my routing icon indication is a bit funky, in a way whose origins I have difficulties figuring out. I have made themes for some years and I'm fairly confident about it by now, so whatever I did will not be something horribly dysfunctional.

I am using the Reaper 5 route indicator consisting of 3 lights, on each track. If the track has no send/receive to/from another track, the light indicators are all dark and the text (under the lights) reads MUTE in a bright red text.

My problem is that some of my tracks shows dark lights and bright red MUTE text, even though these tracks do have sends/receives to/from other tracks on it.

This is true for maybe 15% of all my tracks using my theme. 80-85% of my tracks however do indicate sends/receives to/from other tracks correctly.

I made a small video demonstrating this oddity. You will see my bus track's route indication says MUTE in bright red text, indicating it has no connections to other tracks. But when I open the connections window, you can clearly see that it does have active connections to other tracks, and that the correct indication can be coaxed out by fiddling with for example the Master send checkbox.

Here is the video: https://streamable.com/dtuaf1

I could use some suggestions of what is causing this.
Thanks

I believe this is related to my own self-made theme. This is why I post it in the themes category. But I could be wrong about this too.

Last edited by Colox; 08-09-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:31 AM   #2
lucas_LCS

the PNG files for the route button are most likely misnamed.
you will need to go through and correct any naming mistakes.
There are eight main files.
16 files total if overlays are being used.

Examples based on your video:
no sends or returns with Master unchecked should be named:
track_io_dis.png

send is active with Master unchecked should be named:
track_io_s_dis.png

return is active with Master unchecked should be named:
track_io_r_dis.png

both send and return are active with Master unchecked should be named:
track_io_s_r_dis.png

Do the same for any overlay file.
overlay files have the same name with an added OL at the end, like this:
track_io_s_r_dis_ol.png

verify the names are correct and match the correct image in the main image folder, as well as any subfolders for custom layouts.

::
Old 08-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
the PNG files for the route button are most likely misnamed.
you will need to go through and correct any naming mistakes.
There are eight main files.
16 files total if overlays are being used.

Examples based on your video:
no sends or returns with Master unchecked should be named:
track_io_dis.png

send is active with Master unchecked should be named:
track_io_s_dis.png

return is active with Master unchecked should be named:
track_io_r_dis.png

both send and return are active with Master unchecked should be named:
track_io_s_r_dis.png

Do the same for any overlay file.
overlay files have the same name with an added OL at the end, like this:
track_io_s_r_dis_ol.png

verify the names are correct and match the correct image in the main image folder, as well as any subfolders for custom layouts.

Thanks for suggestion.

Checked all filenames, all checks out correct, including in subfolders.

But, overlays .. I haven't been messing with overlays at all, I think, given how you describe it. I do have "use_overlays 1" enabled in rtconfig.txt, but I have no "_ol.png" files at all made in my own theme. I'm getting the feeling I just discovered something fairly central, that I have missed out on completely.

I duplicated all track_io* images in the theme folder and renamed the copies *_ol.png, and reloaded Reaper.

I'm afraid none of these actions changed things, except for 1 detail: Now, I can hit "Reload images" (bottom right button on the Theme development: show theme element finder dialogue window) and when I do, all IO images are changed to show correctly. Unfortunately this only remains until I reload Reaper again. Then the IO images are shown incorrectly again. Making a new save of the template didn't make it stick either.

Could this overlay thing be a relevant track to keep drilling into? Did I perhaps misunderstand- and use the overlays incorrectly above?

Last edited by Colox; 08-09-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
I can hit "Reload images" (bottom right button on the Theme development: show theme element finder dialogue window) and when I do, all IO images are changed to show correctly. Unfortunately this only remains until I reload Reaper again. Then the IO images are shown incorrectly again. Making a new save of the template didn't make it stick either.

Could this overlay thing be a relevant track to keep drilling into? Did I perhaps misunderstand- and use the overlays incorrectly above?
from your description here, I don't think it's the images.
If the images were misnamed or the images had the names of their particular state misnamed, I think it suggest an issue with reaper.

Which Reaper version are you using?

Old 08-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
from your description here, I don't think it's the images.
If the images were misnamed or the images had the names of their particular state misnamed, I think it suggest an issue with reaper.

Which Reaper version are you using?
6.11 a.t.m. haven't gotten around to downloading 6.13, a hundred things going on. Could get 6.13 right now actually and try. And I'm on Win10 v1909 all x64.

I should mention that I am working almost only template-based. So if there could be a problem with any template file (that has been saved and resaved 1000 times over) then that could be another possibility.

I do seem to remember these templates working fine, and I haven't changed any of them recently except for introducing some minor LUA custom functions (unrelated to graphics or theme).

EDIT: No change using v6.13.

Last edited by Colox; 08-09-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
lucas_LCS

Quote:
No change using v6.13.
try using earlier versions of Reaper 6 and also test in Reaper 5 to see if the issue disappears.
If it does, you'll need to notify the devs.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 PM   #7
Colox

Oh sigh, what in the heck is going on ..

Tried portable version 6.05 of Reaper, problem is there. Tried portable v5.9 and it kindof is there too. The problematic IO icons are greyed out in v5 but still fully responsive. Portable v5.9 warns me that the project is saved with a newer version of Reaper, plus a big load of diverse warning dialogues, so I'm not sure how much to trust it.

I also tried changing themes in my main 6.13 installation, but all icons reset to showing correctly if I change the theme. They show correctly until I reload a project, then it's the same thing again. So changing among perhaps 12 different themes (including Reaper defaults v1 - 6) didn't render any success.

Looking even more detailed at this, I managed to deduce that all the IO icons that are funky have at least 2 things in common:
  • They have the "Master send" disabled at loading
  • They are top level parent tracks (98% of them anyway)
BUT(!) there are also plenty of top level parent tracks with "Master send" disabled which DOES display the IO icon correctly. About 75% shows red, 25% shows fine.

I'm thinking it may depend on what these top-level tracks are connected to - sends/receives. I can't immediately see any pattern in what tracks and buses each top level track is connected to (send or receive). It seems alright.

I can go over every connection and try to find a permutative patterns, but that's probably going to take all day. These are not small work templates, but hundreds of tracks with very intricate internal 'wiring'.

If anybody reading this can associate- or recognize any part of this from your own experience, just anything, I'd appreciate if you chime in and describe it. Don't need to have no solution. Thx

Last edited by Colox; 08-09-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:37 AM   #8
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

post the theme.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:13 AM   #9
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
post the theme.
Wow. Thanks man. Theme posted via PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:26 AM   #10
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Theme posted via PM.
That's not what I meant.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #11
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
That's not what I meant.
Oh .. wishful thinking on my part. Sorry it got awkward. My bad.

Not familiar with this. I'm assuming posting the theme means someone can check the code in the theme file (?) so I'm posting the Theme file as attachment here. Not sure if something else is required, like the rtconfig file or images? If so, tell me.

Last edited by Colox; 02-21-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:52 AM   #12
DarkStar

We will need the images too; at least the ones used for the Routing buttons in the TCP and MCP.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:38 AM   #13
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
We will need the images too; at least the ones used for the Routing buttons in the TCP and MCP.
Got it. Thanks.

Note: I don't use the MCP view AT ALL. So whatever it looks like in the mixer, don't mind it. I haven't done too much with in from a MCP perspective.

I'm running my eyes over the parameters and arguments in the theme and trying to see if I can pick up on what clues you might be looking for ...

Last edited by Colox; 08-14-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #14
lucas_LCS

took a look.
I am unable to replicate the issue.
I didn't see any issues with the button images or naming.
The code looked OK to me.

Is it happening in all projects or just a particular 1 or 2?
If the issue is just in 1 or 2 projects, it's possible the project file is corrupted.
can you post an .RPP file it happens in?

If it's in all projects, I'm not sure what the issue would be.