Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
aux8
Human being with feelings

Default Control surface issues (Zoom R8, Windows 8.1 x64)

I have two Windows 8.1 x64 machines, both intel
- Lenovo desktop
- Acer laptop

I'm trying to use the control surface functionality of the Zoom R8. I have the latest x64 driver from here http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/r8/software/.

Control surface should work via Mackie Control, described here
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnAJ-OmP1o (after 5 mins, it's about Reaper)
- http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Zoom_R16_R24

On both machines, the audio interface functionality of the Zoom works well with Reaper.

On the desktop, control surface works well.

On the laptop, I can't get control surface functionality to work at all. Reaper does not even recognize midi input from the Zoom when I try to assign keyboard shortcuts. That suggests to me that Reaper is not getting any midi input from the Zoom.

I tried a few different Reaper versions including 4.591, 4.57, 4.21. I tried 32-bit version of Reaper 4.591.

I guess it's not a Reaper problem, but if anyone had suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Of course, it's the laptop I want to use Reaper on, or I wouldn't be asking.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Last edited by aux8; 01-19-2014 at 10:39 AM.
aux8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
aux8

I'm actually finding that the control surface works perfectly occasionally and then stops working. I've tried loads of stop/disconnect/restart/reboot/with-without-other-usb-devices things. Very frustrating, because it's nice when it works. Anyway... I'm sure this is an issue with Windows or Zoom driver and so not for this forum. I'll stop now. Bye.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
ninethirty

Did you ever get this to work? I'm having the same issue now with my R8. It consistently worked for a while, then stopped working -- audio from the R8 works fine, and it will even light up the "play" or "stop" button appropriately (so it's getting messages _from_ Reaper). But none of the buttons on the R8 do anything (it's failing to send control messages _to_ Reaper).

Between the time when it worked and now, I've updated Reaper and installed a couple things (Pedable, Logidy UMI3 drivers, Full Circle looper) but I haven't been able to pin down what caused it to break. I've started uninstalling things one by one to see if one of those is the culprit, but no luck yet. I've also tried reinstalling the R8 drivers, with no luck.
ninethirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Nystagmus

I would recommend using the RESET function within the Zoom R8 every time you initiate it as a USB controller or interface. Within the R8's menu command for using it as an interface/controller there are two choices: Reset and Continue.

Choosing reset uses defaults. This could possibly fix the issues. And then save the setup when you shut down the R8.

Be sure to avoid using other USB devices at the time that the R8 starts up. This is a faultiness of the USB protocol. All devices are polled for speed and connectivity and they compete for bandwidth to some degree. The USB device polling happens during each USB devices startup, and also when initiated by programs. It's for this reason that I don't even like using USB mice and keyboards. It's just more to clogg up the USB highway.

You might try NirSoft's USB Device Viewer (USBdeView.exe) to troubleshoot some of these types of issues. It's portable (no install) freeware.

It's at nirsoft.com or portablefreeware.com

Good luck guys.

Personally, I never had any problems with the Zoom R8 as a controller within Reaper.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
ninethirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I would recommend using the RESET function within the Zoom R8 every time you initiate it as a USB controller or interface. Within the R8's menu command for using it as an interface/controller there are two choices: Reset and Continue.

Choosing reset uses defaults. This could possibly fix the issues. And then save the setup when you shut down the R8.

Thanks Nystagmus! I tried uninstalling the R8 drivers, reinstalling them, then doing a "reset" when connecting the R8, and it is now working.
It's great to have my sliders back!
ninethirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
aux8

Yes, Reset does the job. Brilliant! Thanks a lot Nystagmus.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
tagomagomyeggo

Obviously this is an old post, but someone else may benefit from my experience. I was trying to use my R8 as a controller, making it a MIDI device so I could assign functionalities myself, and having similar problems. The above solution was not a fix for me. What was (so far) is, if Reaper is not responding, restart Reaper with the R8 already linked to computer as Audio Interface. That seems to do the trick.
tagomagomyeggo is offline   Reply With Quote