Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #281
TonE
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherT View Post
EG: on Protools, One can group a bunch of tracks, when grouping is selected - a small window comes up and you can tick what you want to automate - volume/mute /pan/plugin automation (and editing).

In a mix situation, I can group a whole bunch of tracks with LF content - insert a EQ on all of the tracks.
All I need to do is automate one of these grouped tracks and affect all of them. Fast simple workflow.

I spent 3 years solid on Reaper on some large installations and film projects (among other projects).
The lack of track grouping became untenable in the end.

I wont put myself into that corner again where I can't easily and quickly control various grouped individual tracks with automation and editing during a project.
The rest of Reaper is GOLD
Thanks for some info, but it could be a bit more precise.

Simplest case scenario would be grouping 2 tracks, rather than ungrouped single track, right?

(a) Now in those 2 tracks, how many parameters you want to map, typically, 1, 2, 10, 100?

(b) Let us select a single parameter, volume, should they all get absolutely same value or only same shifts relatively? Or if that would be EQ Freq, should they all get exact same value?

(c) How many tracks are you grouping typically? 2, 10 or more?

Those information would help a bit more. Somehow it sounds from your description above not as something which would not be possible, having all programmability, api's for reaper. To me it sounds like, do something for one parameter, then copy the exact values to some other targets as well, if I understood all correctly? The art should be only something like on the fly target selection.
-selecting tracks (grouping)
-selecting targets (parameters which should get exact same value)
-do it.

Other than that, you could also do something like, select tracks, make them child of a new parent track, put the automation on that parent track until you like the result. Then taking that automation from parent, copy/duplicate to all children, remove parent again. I think this trick could also work. Only with a few minutes thinking there are ways to try, unless I did not understand your situation correctly.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #282
karbomusic

Some of the features being asked for are legit FYI.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #283
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post

Simplest case scenario would be grouping 2 tracks, rather than ungrouped single track, right?

(a) Now in those 2 tracks, how many parameters you want to map, typically, 1, 2, 10, 100?

(b) Let us select a single parameter, volume, should they all get absolutely same value or only same shifts relatively? Or if that would be EQ Freq, should they all get exact same value?

Those information would help a bit more. Somehow it sounds from your description above not as something which would not be possible, having all programmability, api's for reaper. To me it sounds like, do something for one parameter, then copy the exact values to some other targets as well, if I understood all correctly? The art should be only something like on the fly target selection.
-do it.

Other than that, you could also do something like, select tracks, make them child of a new parent track, put the automation on that parent track until you like the result. Then taking that automation from parent, copy/duplicate to all children, remove parent again. I think this trick could also work. Only with a few minutes thinking there are ways to try, unless I did not understand your situation correctly.
It works in Pro Tools because that DAW differentiates between insert slots.

So you group the tracks, then there's a dialog where you can check or uncheck each insert slot for that group. If you check the slot, then all parameters of whatever plugin is place in that slot will be mirrored on all grouped tracks (assuming they have the same plugin, of course). It is incredibly handy.
valy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:35 AM   #284
ChristopherT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post

-do it.

Thanks Tone for taking the time to suggest work arounds. But none of these work in this instance.
My projects usually many have hundreds of tracks (upwards to 800).

Tracks needing automation - or editing could be tk 1, tk 15, tks 90-120, trk 155, tks 241-245 etc etc.

In the context I mentioned - I want to automate the LF from only certain tracks that reside in different parent folders spread over a large project.

Even smaller projects it is great to EG only compress 20% of certain dynamic tracks that all reside in different parent folders.
Or split and raise the levels on only the tracks that have HF content.

Doing this sort of automation and editing really gives complete control when editing the volume or panning of specific tracks during mixing - and it is super fast workflow.

As Valy mentioned - if I place an EQ in the same insert slot on each track within my defined track group - then I can automate all of them in seconds.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:26 AM   #285
deeb

fixed FX slot would give so much benefits.

Devs: could we have P_EXT for FX?

edit: i like very much the group things that has been talked, neither way i made the request, since it would probably allow to go into that direction but also manny other possibilities :
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....56#post2362956

Last edited by deeb; 11-10-2020 at 03:39 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #286
thermos

Still love reaper, but after tracking a band over 4 days in PT it is indeed vastly superior for that task due to track edit groups and playlists. For anyone who has done this using both daws and feels the opposite, I’d be curious. Editing takes while a whole band waits and having it done in seconds with a backup of the previous state just waiting in the wings (on a different playlist that can be changed with 1 mouse click). With reaper this would have been various save states and approx 4x as much effort and time for editing/crossfades/etc (due to previous experiences). With impatient band members this is the difference between a good experience and a bad experience for them.

Regardless, hope this gets implemented someday so I can stop supporting avid.
thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #287
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Sounds like you might not know about the Reaper 'record the whole band to a single multichannel track" trick. They record orchestras this way in Reaper, and perhaps even to FLAC. Its awesome.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #288
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Sounds like you might not know about the Reaper 'record the whole band to a single multichannel track" trick. They record orchestras this way in Reaper, and perhaps even to FLAC. Its awesome.
Beat me to do it.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #289
Wills01

Default fX inflation

I have some difficulties to understand all fine and probably relevant requirements related to mixing with FX plugins.. I keep in my mind that Beethoven, BEATLES, Pink Floyd, Hans Zimmer do worldwide famous music without these fine mixing features... The music quality is mainly due to melodies, rythmic... not to the capability for a compressor to have a dual mono feature... For me, the priority for a Daw is to help musicians to easily put in a project sole musical ideas we have in our mind... and Reaper is excellent for that. I previously used Sonar and Cubase and I see that with Reaper now, I do better music... it includes a lot of features to help us
Wills01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #290
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills01 View Post
I have some difficulties to understand all fine and probably relevant requirements related to mixing with FX plugins.. I keep in my mind that Beethoven, BEATLES, Pink Floyd, Hans Zimmer do worldwide famous music without these fine mixing features... The music quality is mainly due to melodies, rythmic... not to the capability for a compressor to have a dual mono feature... For me, the priority for a Daw is to help musicians to easily put in a project sole musical ideas we have in our mind... and Reaper is excellent for that. I previously used Sonar and Cubase and I see that with Reaper now, I do better music... it includes a lot of features to help us
I'm guessing you've never tried your hand at producing electronic music.
valy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #291
serr

Quote:
I have some difficulties to understand all fine and probably relevant requirements related to mixing with FX plugins.. I keep in my mind that Beethoven, BEATLES, Pink Floyd, Hans Zimmer do worldwide famous music without these fine mixing features...
Maybe a miscommunication here but the Beatles and most especially Pink Floyd were very much into effects and processing things! Lennon almost always wanted to hear his voice altered. Floyd... jeeze, they invented a lot of this stuff! Delay tricks all over the place. Live quadraphonic mixing at their shows with emphasis on sound in motion. They were purists in their authenticity but they very much considered themselves electronic musicians.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #292
maralatho

Quote:
Where can I learn about this?
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #293
matthewbarnhart

Quote:
Until the bass player says, "that last take was perfect except for those two notes before the bridge. Can I punch that in?"

Yes, you can explode the multichannel out to multiple tracks, but what if you're doing headphone mixes inside the DAW? (Never mind that setting up multiple headphone mixes from a single multichannel track is maddeningly complex.) So then you need to replicate your mixer setup across the exploded tracks, do the punch in, etc. And then you're left with a whole other mess to clean up.

Or you could just have edit groups & playlists. Which is why I track in Pro Tools.

Recording the whole band (or drum kit, or...) to a single multichannel track is a very cool feature and terrific for recording live performances, i.e. gigs/shows/concerts. For those of us that record bands playing (mostly) live in the studio, it's more a hassle than anything.
matthewbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #294
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
I believe Kenny did a video on it (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbarnhart View Post
For those of us that record bands playing (mostly) live in the studio, it's more a hassle than anything.
Speak for yourself, I've never done it myself, I can merely pass on that there are those who find it a transformational way of working. It seems to resonate with either really young people with no traditional studio experience whatsoever, and so no expectations, or older people who like the 'feels like tape again' thing. Shrug YMMV.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #295
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
... Beethoven ... do worldwide famous music without these fine mixing features...
Beethovens mixing capability was grumbling at everyone who was shit at their job(in his perception at least) and I can imagine, his sole curved eyebrows did their job.

So +1 on the Grumpy-Beethoven-Looks-At-You-When-You-Mess-Up-Mixes-feature

@all
I have a general request of this FR to all of you and the OP:
Could you retitle the thread to reflect the actual request? I mean, the OP having hard times to recommend Reaper cannot be a request that can be fulfilled by Justin, can it? :P
Old 11-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #296
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post

- Post Fader insert. Every DAW can do it except Reaper. NO, making a parent track for every channel is not a workaround. For Sound Radix PI it literally doesn't work, as it sends the plugin into a feedback loop. The only way to use that plugin in Reaper is to automate gain rides its input knob. Super not an option. This option was probably included in PT and every DAW simply because you could do it in the analog realm first.
I just bought PI in the black Friday sale and I am FUCKING raging that it won't work properly in Reaper. Yes I should have fully checked but I didn't read the manual before I bought it, unfortunately. Reaper has never let me down hence I thought it would be an option somewhere but it has now. Seriously let's get this much-needed improvement rolled out!!!
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #297
grinder

I am thinking of leaving Reaper because it can not fly me into space, take out the garbage automatically, make me a hit record and pick out a winning lottery ticket...
rage rage rage...

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #298
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Yes I should have fully checked but I didn't read the manual before I bought it, unfortunately.
Sorry for the news but: yes, you should have.

Or open a proper feature request for it, where you ask for the missing feature and the benefits for many users.
But be warned: not having wasted your money isn't a benefit for many users
Old 11-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #299
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
I am thinking of leaving Reaper because it can not fly me into space, take out the garbage automatically, make me a hit record and pick out a winning lottery ticket...
rage rage rage...

Grinder
Search for moonlander in this forum to fly into space
Old 11-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #300
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
This video shows how to do it with Drum (multi-tracks) but you can just do the same thing with the whole band.

https://youtu.be/Vu9n5AQetfI
Old 11-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #301
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbarnhart View Post
Until the bass player says, "that last take was perfect except for those two notes before the bridge. Can I punch that in?"

Yes, you can explode the multichannel out to multiple tracks, but what if you're doing headphone mixes inside the DAW? (Never mind that setting up multiple headphone mixes from a single multichannel track is maddeningly complex.) So then you need to replicate your mixer setup across the exploded tracks, do the punch in, etc. And then you're left with a whole other mess to clean up.
Shouldn't really be that hard. You have your one track where everything is recorded to. Then you buss each output to it's own track and that's where you get your levels and headphone mixes from. If someone wants to punch in individually, you explode the items and put the items on those tracks and just punch those in.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:16 AM   #302
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
Sorry for the news but: yes, you should have.

Or open a proper feature request for it, where you ask for the missing feature and the benefits for many users.
There is already a feature request from 2018 which doesn't give me a lot of hope unless a bunch of new people jump on the thread *hint hint*
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=215050

In my defence I was drunk when I bought it, reading manuals before buying?! what is this madness?! I guess I've learnt the hard way. I did watch white sea studio's video on it where he was using it in Reaper but I didn't pick up the 'post fader option is the best way of using it'. https://youtu.be/vTTzSNmwsPg
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #303
airon

Edit groups was the second-most upvoted request iirc.

As Razer Edits(=area selection) is making its way through pre-releases carefully, there‘s a chance edit groups might follow that as it most likely needs to build on razer edit.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #304
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post

In my defence I was drunk when I bought it
Alcohol and internet. Dangerous combination