vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.18+dev1208 - December 8 2020

v6.18+dev1208 - December 8 2020
  • * Includes branch: optimized FX preset management
  • * Includes branch: 2nd pass render
  • * Includes feature branch: per-chain PDC mode and overhaul/optimization
  • * Includes feature branch: razor editing
  • + Menus: when auto-crossfade enabled, gray out option to trim content behind media items when editing
  • + ReaScript: add B_RECMON_IN_EFFECT to GetMediaTrackInfo_Value()
  • + VST: support "REAPER record monitor in effect" attribute for VST3 channel contexts
  • # Razor edit: respect settings for auto-crossfade and trim content behind edits
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode

Last edited by schwa; 12-08-2020 at 02:32 PM. Reason: oops
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
mccrabney

Quote:
# Razor edit: respect settings for auto-crossfade and trim content behind edits
dang. this breaks a workflow i really liked: normal item movement for when i wanted crossfades, and REs for when i wanted trimming behavior.

for normal item movements, i leave auto-crossfade on all the time. used REs to make structural changes to projects without worrying about what was underneath an RE paste. that was before the recent RE crossfade addition. now, i have to toggle autocrossfade off before every RE movement, and then on before a normal item movement.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
Ideosound

Will there likely be shortcut folders on mac (alias) fixed using media explorer on mac? so we can properly browse inside them like a normal folder directory in media explorer?
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
RobinGShore

Quote:
respect settings for auto-crossfade and trim content behind edits
There's still some weirdness going on with this. If both auto-crossfade and trim behind are turned on, Razor edits behave as if trim behind is turned off. All the other combos of trim behind and auto-crossfade seem to be working correctly. I think fixing this may help solve the problem mccrabney is talking about.

Edit:
Ah didn't notice this when I first posted:
Quote:
+ Menus: when auto-crossfade enabled, gray out option to trim content behind media items when editing
I don't understand the reason for having auto-crossfades override the trim behind setting. They work fine as independent options for regular item selection, why can't the same be true razor edits? In my mind it would work like this: If both options are on and a razor edit boundary is in the middle of an item or coincides with an item edge, this would create a crossfade when the razor edit is moved so that it overlaps an item. If razor edit boundary is not over an item (i.e it's over empty space) no crossfade would be created when it overlaps an item as the item it's being moved on top of would trim with the empty space before any item boundaries ever overlapped.

Last edited by RobinGShore; 12-08-2020 at 03:54 PM.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
ovnis

Quote:
# Razor edit: respect settings for auto-crossfade and trim content behind edits
Mouse modifier (trim or not) isn't a better solution?

Auto-crossfade is always disabled on my computer. But sometime, I would like to be able to trim content behind edits (with MIDI items for exemple).
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
I don't understand the reason for having auto-crossfades override the trim behind setting. They work fine as independent options for regular item selection
No they don't. The behavior for item edits has always been that if auto-crossfade is enabled, the trim-behind option has no effect. Now the UI reflects that existing behavior.

The intention in this +dev build is for razor edits to follow exactly that same existing behavior. We may end up reverting this change, or adding another option for razor edits to ignore the item editing preferences, but at least in the current build, the intention is for both types of edits to behave the same way based on the existing preferences.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
No they don't. The behavior for item edits has always been that if auto-crossfade is enabled, the trim-behind option has no effect.
Hate to contradict you on your own software, but this is not entirely true. The current behavior with item edits is that if both options are on and the edges of two items are overlapped, a crossfade is created that's the length of the overlap, but if an item is moved on top of another item so that one of the items is entirely within the bounds of the other one, the trim behavior applies and the item that is being moved wipes out the material underneath it. This second behavior (moving something that is entirely within the bounds of an item) is not working the same way with razor edits. This is particularly noticeable when moving a razor selection that contains some empty space. Take a look at these two gifs, in both cases I have both options turned on

RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Hate to contradict you on your own software, but this is not entirely true.
Yes, you are correct, and that's a good reason to support changing both options independently. We'll revert the grayed-out menu behavior in +dev1208 and make it so razor edits behave the same way as media items.

In the long term I don't know whether we're going to go back to the old behavior where razor edits always trim-behind, or keep the +dev1208 behavior where razor edits follow the media item editing preferences, or add another option to control whether razor edits always trim-behind or always follow the media item preferences.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #9
Triode

Also if auto crossfade and trim behind are on and an item is moved entirely within the bounds of another item small crossfades are created between each boundary. It would be nice if a small 10 ms crossfade was created when moving just one item edge across another in the same crossfade mode.

Some users have been asking for a mouse modifier for moving items to create the overlap-length fades.
I'd vote for that and this short crossfade creation on move to be the new auto crossfade default - optionally

Many thanks for all the intricate work that goes into creating reaper while listening to us harping on
Old 12-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
Swi

Default Length as a column in the media browser

This is more of a feature request and I have been away for a bit but if you are still doing media browser stuff I would really find "length" useful as a column.

Thanks
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #11
Meo-Ada Mespotine

From the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:06 AM   #12
BirdBird

Razor Edits can handle quite a bit of different tasks so having seperate settings for them instead of sharing the settings with media items would indeed be good to have.

For my personal use I prefer to turn off trim-behind for media item edits as it breaks my workflow in many ways, but I like having it enabled for RE. This behaviour is not possible anymore. (unless I am missing something)
Old 12-09-2020, 04:14 AM   #13
musicbynumbers

I can't help but think that having both auto crossfades and trim behind as mouse modifier options separately for both normal and razor edits would be a massive help.

I would much rather have them on mouse modifiers then toolbars/keyboard shortcuts
Old 12-09-2020, 05:30 AM   #14
mccrabney

^ big +1 to that one. the fewer editing toggles we need to babysit, the better. toggling back and forth between "env points move with items" is taxing enough already, my left hand is twitching instinctively toward a modifier key every time

a good analogy would be typing capital letters in a professional email: the shift key :: mouse modifier, and caps lock :: toggle action. toggling caps lock every time you make a capital letter (and remembering your toggle state after taking a break from typing) is a lot more tedious than holding shift for the moment you need a capital letter
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #15
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
toggling back and forth between "env points move with items" is taxing enough already
Now imagine you were using Logic and instead of having a toggle you had to open preferences, make a change and apply each time you want to change this behaviour... this was one major plus for me when I switched to Reaper. But I agree having a mouse modifier for this would be even greater!
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #16
deeb

I am not sure what is being done in FX management but an A / B for keeping presets would be very nice ! like in some DAWs.

Save to A
Or
Save to B

and then Load from A or from B.

This is basically simple 2 available slots to save a plugin preset while we are not sure which sound/fx preset we want to use.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #17
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
for normal item movements, i leave auto-crossfade on all the time. used REs to make structural changes to projects without worrying about what was underneath an RE paste. that was before the recent RE crossfade addition. now, i have to toggle autocrossfade off before every RE movement, and then on before a normal item movement.
yeah they should separated or something should be done. But everything too complex in reaper .. relax relax and everything will fit nicely !
Old 12-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #18
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I can't help but think that having both auto crossfades and trim behind as mouse modifier options separately for both normal and razor edits would be a massive help.

I would much rather have them on mouse modifiers then toolbars/keyboard shortcuts

it is too much for modifiers i think , too over crowded already very complex.
but anyway , .. i would prefer tool bar but that is me.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #19
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
it is too much for modifiers i think , too over crowded already very complex.
but anyway , .. i would prefer tool bar but that is me.
Well..

I'm hoping we can have both!

"It is the reaper way"

I don't find it too complicated and currently it slows me down a lot as I'll often go to drag an item over another item (which happens a lot when doing sfx) and often then not I'm either crossfading when I don't want to be or not and then I have to temporarily use the toolbar.

That slows me down a lot as there can be an accidental issue there. With mouse modifiers, it's always intentional for me