Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 11-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
V1b3zman
Human being with feelings

Default Some questions concerning live configs

Hi. I am looking to create a live config project but I have a couple questions. I have used Forte in the past and currently use bloxpander but I think I can get the best natural sound for my instrument using Reaper.
but I have a few questions I can't figure out.

1) Most of the MIDI patches I use are to create a layer under the audio output of my instrument which is a MIDI'D Acoustic Vibraphone with pickups for audio. I dont want that track muted most of the time. However there are a couple of patches where I will want it muted. Can I achieve this with live configs

2) I plan to use kontakt (3 instances loaded with 3 single sounds) I suppose I can switch these by switching tracks. However I intend to use several patches in Omnisphere and also Sampletank. In the past I switched these by remapping the midi of the track so that MIDI ch 1 in go to ch2 (or what ever channel I wanted.) Is this possible? I can't really tell with the tutorials I've seen online and in this forum.

3) Is it possible to switch configs by pressing a single key on the key pad of a Laptop. I would much prefer this to a pedal.

Thanks!
V1b3zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1b3zman View Post
Hi. I am looking to create a live config project but I have a couple questions. I have used Forte in the past and currently use bloxpander but I think I can get the best natural sound for my instrument using Reaper.
I doubt that the digital infrastructure should affect the "sound" in any way. The difference is in flexibility to support any configuration needs, CPU efficiency (both pro Reaper) and about easy configuration (con Reaper).

Quote:
1) Most of the MIDI patches I use are to create a layer under the audio output of my instrument which is a MIDI'D Acoustic Vibraphone with pickups for audio. I dont want that track muted most of the time. However there are a couple of patches where I will want it muted. Can I achieve this with live configs
Each LiveConfigs "page" affects a definable set of tracks. If set so, it will mute all but one when changing the patch. If you want dedicated behavior for one or more tracks above that scheme, it should be possible by using more than one page. (Or by using the "Midi CC Table", JSFX which is harder to configure, as it does not feature a configuration GUI)

Quote:
2) I plan to use kontakt (3 instances loaded with 3 single sounds) I suppose I can switch these by switching tracks. However I intend to use several patches in Omnisphere and also Sampletank. In the past I switched these by remapping the midi of the track so that MIDI ch 1 in go to ch2 (or what ever channel I wanted.) Is this possible? I can't really tell with the tutorials I've seen online and in this forum.
LiveConfig is crafted exactly for this. OTOH Kontakt (and supposedly the other plugins you mention) can internally switch patches by being sent Program Change Midi messages. I think this is more efficient than to use a new track for any patch. This is easily possible in LiveConfigs based system by using the "Slider To Midi PS" JSFX. Midi channels are not eaten at all with this .

Quote:
3) Is it possible to switch configs by pressing a single key on the key pad of a Laptop. I would much prefer this to a pedal
For myself, I built a system with no mouse and monitor attached "on stage", using a decent Control Surface (X-Touch Compact). I think this is much more versatile and usable than fiddly PC or even laptop keyboard (or what do you mean by "key pad" ? ). But in fact some time ago I did a system of JSFXes for controlling LiveConfigs by the computer keyboard for a friend of mine who plays a wind controller. A description is here: -> www.bschnell.de/patch.pdf

Did you read the updated LiveCionfigs manual -> www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-18-2018 at 10:34 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
V1b3zman

Thanks mschnell for your reply and your help. I did read through your manual a couple of times I'm just having trouble getting the concept of live config tool.

I wish there was a video tutorial where I could see someone configure a row or two on the config page.

Oh well I guess I'll just jump into it. I probably will need your help again
V1b3zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
mschnell

I think the basic concept of LiveConfigs is rather simple. Only when it comes to the details, it can get really complicated.

So indeed just start and try out what comes in your mind and ask if necessary.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-23-2018 at 05:35 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote