COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 AM   #1
Javier Robledo
Human being with feelings

Default Creating own server in Osx

Hello I have read the Ninjam user Guide.

I´m interested in create my own server for practising wiht a friend that lives 400km from me because we are planing a live show together.

I understand almost everything but when I reach to the point "Starting your server" I only see intructions for Windows.

- Is the same valid for Mac-Intel ?

In case there is a diferent way to do it ... Can anybody help me with some instructions ?

Thanks
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
pljones

Windows is very different from OSX. OSX is much more similar to Linux as both have *nix kernels. However, you need a server compiled for your OS.

Have you got the server compiled for your Mac?
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Javier Robledo

[QUOTE=

Have you got the server compiled for your Mac?[/QUOTE]

I don´t know what that is...

It´s the first time I do this and I´m lost...

As far as I know what I have to do is get into my router config and open from there the new port ??

Is that right ??

I really need help with this...

THANKS
Old 08-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
pljones

The first thing you need is a program to run.

Do you have a MacOSX server program that runs on your machine? (That is, not a Windows program or a Linux program or ...) If you have such a program, have you tried running it with the example config file provided (copied to the name the instructions indicate but otherwise unchanged)? If you have, what happens?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
Javier Robledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
Do you have a MacOSX server program that runs on your machine?
I dont have that program.

Tell me please the new of the program that I need.

Where can I down load it???

THANKS
Old 08-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
pljones

All of the Cockos NINJAM downloads are here: http://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

If you need something that's not there, I'm afraid I can't help other than suggest you either get a Linux server (very cheap but not so easy) or a Windows PC (easier but not so cheap) just for the NINJAM server.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
Aymara

Mmh ... the OSX Ninjam stuff is for Intel already or is it for PowerPC? It's 10 years old as it seems. OSX 10.3 is mentioned for the server, so I guess it's for PPC?

Might it be possible to compile that stuff with XCode on a current Mac?

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 08-29-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:00 AM   #8
elieserdejesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Mmh ... the OSX Ninjam stuff is for Intel already or is it for PowerPC? It's 10 years old as it seems. OSX 10.3 is mentioned for the server, so I guess it's for PPC?

Might it be possible to compile that stuff with XCode on a current Mac?
Yes, I have compiled the ninjam server in mavericks (OSX 10.9) without problems.
elieserdejesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by elieserdejesus View Post
Yes, I have compiled the ninjam server in mavericks (OSX 10.9) without problems.
I think, that are pretty good news for such an old software.

Chris
Old 10-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
Javier Robledo

Quote:
How did you do that ????

I´m getting completly crazy with this ¡¡¡¡
Old 11-13-2015, 01:00 AM   #11
Chris4943

Quote:
What does this mean in English?

Should I just give up and get parrallels or something and boot my imac from windows to get reaninjam to work?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4943 View Post
What does this mean in English?
That means, that he downloaded Xcode from the Mac App Store for free amd compiled the source code, which is available also for free here in the forums.

You know, what compiling a source code means? You should at least have basic knowledge as a developer.

Maybe our friend can ZIP his results and send it to the official devs, so they can create a download for all?

Chris
Old 11-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
Chris4943

Quote:
That means, that he downloaded Xcode from the Mac App Store for free amd compiled the source code, which is available also for free here in the forums.

You know, what compiling a source code means? You should at least have basic knowledge as a developer.

Maybe our friend can ZIP his results and send it to the official devs, so they can create a download for all?
Developer? I'm just some guy trying to make a podcast in my living room and get better quality audio than skype or a cell phone.
There seems to be quite a few 10 year old programs floating around on the net that would allow me to do this, but they're all 'almost' ready for prime time.
Look, I'm trying to play ball. I'm investing hours and hours and days into trying to get up to speed on this stuff, but its honestly kinda frustrating going on dead-end after-dead end ending up with hours of wasted time for my trouble. I know the world doesn't owe me anything, but I don't think it's crazy to be a little frustrated by a developer having an official website with programs that apparently don't work. I'm torn between my optimism that I'm glad its at least still out there and I MIGHT be able to get this stuff to work, and a pessimism that makes me wanna throw my hands up and ask why the hell are all these developers paying for hosting of their websites with broken links if their products don't freaking work??? Take down the damn site already and don't give me false hope!
And this isn't unique to ninjam. I've been down half a dozen other roads, downloaded and installed half a dozen other apps that just don't really work in the end, or apparently require you to be some kind of freaking computer software development engineer to turn on!
Is it about the money? I got a paypal. I'll pay for software that works. I don't demand a free ride.
I'm in a 'user' forum trying to figure this crap out. I'm not a developer. I clicked on a link on the 'official' Cockos Ninjam website and the links are all trash. I guess that makes me an asshole?

So what's the bottom line? Somebody on here might have some kind of easily 'compiled' (whatever that means) version of the software that works on modern Macs? What, I gotta be freaking Edward Snowden just to track that down? If it's so easily done, then yes, I begrudge the freaking company that's hosting a webpage of old unusable software download links who's not taking an hour to just do it and update the link on their official website!
I'm no Donald Trump, but why not do that, charge some money for it, and cover your hosting costs for having a website? Maybe I'm missing something, but the current model of keeping a website around with old unusable software that some dude on the dark web may or may not be able to make work seems bizarre. And I'm not the only one. I'm not the first guy to be flabbergasted at how this is being handled even in this 1 thread, let alone the whole forum. At the time of this ranting, there have been 3,969 views in the last 2 1/2 months on this one thread. There's interest in the product. Let's take a knee and get it together people!

Last edited by Chris4943; 11-13-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Chris4943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #14
Aymara

Quote:
I guess that makes me an asshole?
You're currently on your best way to behave like one

Joking aside ... I understand your frustration. But I guess the topic is more complex as you think. We talk about a software, that Cockos stopped to further develop. Then someone finds out, that the source code just needs to be compiled on a current Mac to work on Intel OSX. But he can't just upload the new compiled version because of copyright issues this might cause.

And Cockos is pretty busy fixing Reaper 5 issues. And Cockos is only a very small company with only a few developers. That's why I said, that it might help, if Cockos would get the new compiled version to place it for official download.

Btw, compiling means to convert a code that is readable by developers into machine code that can be executed, in a other words an executable program or app. And XCode is Apples development platform (program) to write / create, test and compile software / programs.

That's why I said, you need basic knowledge about development, if you want to compile it yourself. It would be a lot of work to explain everything in an understandable way for non-devs.

That's why I asked to involve Cockos into this "forum success" to find a solution for everyone.

Chris
Old 11-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #15
Chris4943

Quote:
You're currently on your best way to behave like one

Joking aside ... I understand your frustration. But I guess the topic is more complex as you think. We talk about a software, that Cockos stopped to further develop. Then someone finds out, that the source code just needs to be compiled on a current Mac to work on Intel OSX. But he can't just upload the new compiled version because of copyright issues this might cause.

And Cockos is pretty busy fixing Reaper 5 issues. And Cockos is only a very small company with only a few developers. That's why I said, that it might help, if Cockos would get the new compiled version to place it for official download.

Btw, compiling means to convert a code that is readable by developers into machine code that can be executed, in a other words an executable program or app. And XCode is Apples development platform (program) to write / create, test and compile software / programs.

That's why I said, you need basic knowledge about development, if you want to compile it yourself. It would be a lot of work to explain everything in an understandable way for non-devs.

That's why I asked to involve Cockos into this "forum success" to find a solution for everyone.
Thank you for responding with knowledge, maturity, and restraint, basically the exact OPPOSITE of how I responded.

I was really ticked off, but hopefully all will be able to have a laugh at my outburst when reading back on this. I was finally able to get it to work, thanks entirely to the combined knowledge of this forum, I just needed to calm down and read through the stickies and past posts a couple more times. I cannot tell you how amazing it was to finally hear another person's music coming thru my computer headphones in crystal clear clarity. It was a couple musicians playing piano and it was the most beautiful music I've ever heard. In fact, I unplugged my phones and urged my wife to come over and listen with me thru the speakers. We just laid on the couch for a long time listening to 2 pianists somewhere on Earth play us a private concert.

FWIW, Im going to make a beginners how-to video to walk other imbiciles with big dreams like myself thru the setup.

Thanks all, I appreciate the help believe it or not.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #16
Aymara

Quote:
FWIW, Im going to make a beginners how-to video to walk other imbiciles with big dreams like myself thru the setup.
That would be really great, yes!

Chris
Old 11-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #17
Javier Robledo

+ 15.000

That would be really really nice.

I have been also trying for weeks, reading, and being help by the forums member about how to create my own private server in osx but finally gave up...

I know either know nothing about develop, opening port...

Whith all the help I got jam with people in public servers but nothing else.

Gurús of this , PLEASE HELP ¡¡¡¡
Old 03-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
elieserdejesus

Default Ninjam server compiled in Mavericks

Hello guys, I'm sharing a ninjam server compiled in Mac (Mavericks). This is the original server downloaded from cockos site, I just compiled in a more modern Mac (the compiled version in cockos site is outdate).

Here is the link and the file is attached too for convenience.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Mavericks.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ninjam Server compiled in Mavericks.zip (47.0 KB, 512 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 01:14 AM   #19
Aymara

Quote:
... compiled in Mac (Mavericks).
Thanks, that's great. Let's hope it works in Yosemite and El Capitan too.

I think, this Ninjam project should get officially supported again. In times of international musicians forums, where most have a smal home studio, this could allow the foundation of international bands. But it can even help local bands, who lost their rehearsal room.

Chris
Old 03-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #20
inarisound

Quote:
Hello guys, I'm sharing a ninjam server compiled in Mac (Mavericks). This is the original server downloaded from cockos site, I just compiled in a more modern Mac (the compiled version in cockos site is outdate).

Here is the link and the file is attached too for convenience.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Mavericks.zip

Yo idk if you will read this but I want to thank you very much for your compiled version!

You helped me a lot !!! It works on my MAC Yosemite 10.10.5
________

I almost gave up on the idea but after I've stumbled upon this thread I got a bit of hope and finally today I managed to configure port forwarding correctly and me and my friend are jamming now from different countries.

my man, elieserdejesus thank you!
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #21
elieserdejesus

Default Nice news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
Yo idk if you will read this but I want to thank you very much for your compiled version!

You helped me a lot !!! It works on my MAC Yosemite 10.10.5
________

I almost gave up on the idea but after I've stumbled upon this thread I got a bit of hope and finally today I managed to configure port forwarding correctly and me and my friend are jamming now from different countries.

my man, elieserdejesus thank you!
Nice news inarisound!!! You are welcome, I'm happy to help you and your friend to make some music! Have fun and enjoy your jams!