Old 03-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
drichard
Human being with feelings

Default Take markers?

One of the features in the latest pre-release version is "take markers". What are they, and how would they be useful?
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
One of the features in the latest pre-release version is "take markers". What are they, and how would they be useful?
I'm thinking the same thing.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
hopi

pre release discussion should be only in the pre area of the forum
Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
drichard

This is a general question, and not specific to the pre-release versions, other than to learn what the heck a take marker is.

I purposely avoided posting this in the pre-release forum, which is supposed to be for specific issues and feedback on pre-release versions. Since this is neither. I thought it best to take it elsewhere. I didn't want to clutter up that forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
pre release discussion should be only in the pre area of the forum
Old 03-11-2020, 11:21 PM   #5
Edgemeal

Quote:
I'll use them on playback, As I loop thru takes I could mark parts good or bad (using exe until we get API), it should help speed up what to keep/where to split,etc,.

Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:52 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I'll use them on playback, As I loop thru takes I could mark parts good or bad (using exe until we get API), it should help speed up what to keep/where to split,etc,.

I just remember good bad and then crop and glue
Old 03-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #7
ferropop

I just wanna be able to mark good takes while listening through and comping haha...guess this is a weird way to maybe do that way simpler thing. Currently sitting with a singer and having to say things like "Remember light-purple and the weird brown that's between red and cyan...those are our keepers".
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #8
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
I just wanna be able to mark good takes while listening through and comping haha...guess this is a weird way to maybe do that way simpler thing. Currently sitting with a singer and having to say things like "Remember light-purple and the weird brown that's between red and cyan...those are our keepers".
I would rather have a way to select good takes and keep them selected whereas now I have to control click each of my takes. It would be cool to be able to click on the take and have it stay locked as selected for cropping take while auditioning other takes. It could be an add to crop list and give them a clear marker to show that it's in the list to be cropped while still letting you audition other takes.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
mccrabney

hopefully this will lead to native item marker actions. maybe it already has - i haven't tried

i've had this functionality for years due to heda's marker/regions-item script and it's been great - it's far easier to move, duplicate items than it is to manipulate markers.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
hopefully this will lead to native item marker actions. maybe it already has - i haven't tried

i've had this functionality for years due to heda's marker/regions-item script and it's been great - it's far easier to move, duplicate items than it is to manipulate markers.
Can you describe what functionality you have had? Thanks in advance
Old 03-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
mccrabney

using !1016 (transport stop) as example:

Old 03-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #12
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I would rather have a way to select good takes and keep them selected whereas now I have to control click each of my takes. It would be cool to be able to click on the take and have it stay locked as selected for cropping take while auditioning other takes. It could be an add to crop list and give them a clear marker to show that it's in the list to be cropped while still letting you audition other takes.
Isn't that kinda of what that take lock action does?
Item properties: Lock to active take (mouse click will not change active take)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
drichard

I just use "Lock to active take" for the keepers.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #14
drichard

OK, now I get it. That seems useful. I have a good workflow now, but that might make it better.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #15
ferropop

Quote:
I just use "Lock to active take" for the keepers.
I mean while perusing takes -- I'm a pop producer, we often do 15-20 vocal takes and keeping track of which ones are good/bad during comping seriously ends up sounding like "ok the first part of the purple one is good, then it's a toss up between darker yellow near the top, and the red one sandwiched between the purple and blue. Wait, that's maroon... No, that's red... oh now I see. What were we doing again?". This is after having already split phrases/lines.

A tiny flag, checkmark, rating system, literally any indicator, would go miles.

Last edited by ferropop; 03-12-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #16
Coachz

Quote:
Isn't that kinda of what that take lock action does?
Item properties: Lock to active take (mouse click will not change active take)
I'm guessing lock to active take doesn't let you audition other takes. What I'm wanting is a way to Mark a good take like with a checkmark or something and have that be what's Marked to be cropped regardless of what other takes I audition
Old 03-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
using !1016 (transport stop) as example:

Thanks Mccrabney but I find the ! markers kludgy because I have to go back and delete them. Is that how it works for you?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Probably better saving that as a comp, which is simply a selection of takes you want to keep, that you can recall at any moment.

Lock active take has a side issue that T and SHIFT+T still changes takes so any accidental key press of T will bounce to a new take.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #19
Coachz

Quote:
I mean while perusing takes -- I'm a pop producer, we often do 15-20 vocal takes and keeping track of which ones are good/bad during comping seriously ends up sounding like "ok the first part of the purple one is good, then it's a toss up between darker yellow near the top, and the red one sandwiched between the purple and blue. Wait, that's maroon... No, that's red... oh now I see. What were we doing again?". This is after having already split phrases/lines.

A tiny flag, checkmark, rating system, literally any indicator, would go miles.
We do it the same way
Old 03-13-2020, 04:37 AM   #20
mccrabney

Quote:
Thanks Mccrabney but I find the ! markers kludgy because I have to go back and delete them. Is that how it works for you?
no, deleting the item deletes the marker
Old 03-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #21
Coachz

Quote:
I'm guessing lock to active take doesn't let you audition other takes. What I'm wanting is a way to Mark a good take like with a checkmark or something and have that be what's Marked to be cropped regardless of what other takes I audition
Locking the take still lets you go to other takes with "Take: Switch items to next take" which is cool to audition but then I don't know what my locked take is anymore.

For me being able to set a take as "Best/To be cropped" (put a little gold star or checkmark) but still be able to audition other takes unless I change one of them to "Best/To be cropped" would be ideal. That way, no matter what take I'm auditioning, if I go to crop, it will crop the ones marked as "Best/To be cropped" which are the best takes.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #22
karbomusic

^Clicking T or SHIFT+T does the same FWIW. Still though if you are trying to mark sets of favorite take combos.. Item > Comps would be great way to recall them since all it does is save selections of groups of chosen takes.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #23
Triode

Quote:
Locking the take still lets you go to other takes with "Take: Switch items to next take" which is cool to audition but then I don't know what my locked take is anymore.

For me being able to set a take as "Best/To be cropped" (put a little gold star or checkmark) but still be able to audition other takes unless I change one of them to "Best/To be cropped" would be ideal. That way, no matter what take I'm auditioning, if I go to crop, it will crop the ones marked as "Best/To be cropped" which are the best takes.
Have you tried "Xenakios/SWS Rename Takes..." ? Add a star or whatever to the name of the take?
Old 03-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
^Clicking T or SHIFT+T does the same FWIW. Still though if you are trying to mark sets of favorite take combos.. Item > Comps would be great way to recall them since all it does is save selections of groups of chosen takes.
Yeah but I don't want to save sets of comps I just want to have whatever I Mark as best stay best until otherwise but still be able to audition other takes
Old 03-13-2020, 01:38 PM   #25
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Have you tried "Xenakios/SWS Rename Takes..." ? Add a star or whatever to the name of the take?
Thanks Triode but that wont lock it for cropping which is my goal
Old 03-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah but I don't want to save sets of comps I just want to have whatever I Mark as best stay best until otherwise but still be able to audition other takes
I think take markers are making things harder than needed. I see the value but comps will save them as named (even if a single take) so you can return anytime you wish.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #27
Coachz

Quote:
I think take markers are making things harder than needed. I see the value but comps will save them as named (even if a single take) so you can return anytime you wish.
Thats all good but I never save comps. I commit and I'm done. For me the utility would be in marking my best takes that cropping would use and still allow changing takes for more auditioning.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
Thats all good but I never save comps. I commit and I'm done. For me the utility would be in marking my best takes that cropping would use and still allow changing takes for more auditioning.
I'll take it that I don't understand since both afford the same end-result - all good though.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #29
Coachz

Quote:
I'll take it that I don't understand since both afford the same end-result - all good though.
Using my best take framework, I would simply play the loop of my takes and select takes as I go along listening to different takes and then as they're playing alt click for example whatever the best takes are. By doing this each take would be marked as best but still allow me to try other takes as it's playing.

At the end of this I could simply crop and the crop mechanism would look at what the best takes were and crop to those without me having to re select each of them manually and trying to remember which ones were the best
Old 03-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #30
ferropop

Quote:
Using my best take framework, I would simply play the loop of my takes and select takes as I go along listening to different takes and then as they're playing alt click for example whatever the best takes are. By doing this each take would be marked as best but still allow me to try other takes as it's playing.

At the end of this I could simply crop and the crop mechanism would look at what the best takes were and crop to those without me having to re select each of them manually and trying to remember which ones were the best
I agree with all of this man, and have thought this since 2009 haha. I honestly find it too easy to select takes even -- it should be a mouse modifier that changes the active take. I can't let the artist near the keyboard without fear that they're gonna click around and start messing with the comp accidentally (and extremely easily). That's an aside though -- any sort of system that would allow marking would improve things tenfold.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:44 AM   #31
musicbynumbers

Of the top of my head.

-use them to denote various trigger points for interactive music (per item) in an audio engine (wwise/Fmod) and turn them into cue markers on render.

-use them to denote transients or cue points in a piece of linear media and then snap various audio to these as they are in the audio and not arrange page it's more malleable for certain work.

-same thing with above but for drums that are multitracked. Take markers can be snapped too better than other item markers we have and can have names too.

-To embed the actual lyrics or dialogue into the audio items (ideally with a script), turn them into cue points on render and then have the game use them to drive animation or subtitles. (or other cool stuff) and edit times in reaper and then have that in turn drive animation speed in a game or interactive media (really handy for musical based stuff).

- For detailing cues in SFX library content without having to use arrange markers. Especially if the content is going to be multichannel but with different audio on each channel where arrange markers wouldn't work.

-marking out areas to work on or fix in only one track of a mutlitrack recording. This could be drums where one mic clips and needs putting into RX or an Ambisonic recording clips on one channel.

-malleable cue markers. Mentioned above but hopefully soon we can convert quickly between the cue markers broadcast wavs can contain and take markers as take markers are editable directly whereas for now cue markers have to be "injected" via arrange markers which means now parallel tracks. This is super useful and a big part of the uses above.

-scripts! So many cool scripts could do so much with these. Imagine a script that detects the pitches of each note of the the audio item and then marks where and what each note is in text form or where sibiliance is or an AI script could work out over a whole films dialogue recordings who is speaking when and what they are saying and colourised the markers which could be each word) to that actor making resyncing much easier.

-same as above but a script that can search through item markers and seek to certain text over multiple tracks (something not possible with arrange markers as they are not specific to an item).

I'll try and think of others too but scripts are exciting. Being able to denote pitches per note in audio, speech to text, mark out what person is speaking in that audio you recorded of a conference meeting or extract lyrics straight away is very exciting.

Now just need the amazing scripters here to be inspired to do this stuff!
Old 03-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #32
akademie

Great use cases and ideas compilation, musicbynumbers
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:18 AM   #33
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Great use cases and ideas compilation, musicbynumbers
Thanks

Hopefully the devs and scripters see it and get inspired to add more to them. It's a super powerful feature but needs thinking outside the box
Old 03-14-2020, 04:55 AM   #34
Coachz

Quote:
I agree with all of this man, and have thought this since 2009 haha. I honestly find it too easy to select takes even -- it should be a mouse modifier that changes the active take. I can't let the artist near the keyboard without fear that they're gonna click around and start messing with the comp accidentally (and extremely easily). That's an aside though -- any sort of system that would allow marking would improve things tenfold.
Yes and Idealy the marking would be tied to the crop function so that when you crop The Marked items would automatically be selected for the crop
Old 03-14-2020, 05:07 AM   #35
Triode

Quote:
Yes and Idealy the marking would be tied to the crop function so that when you crop The Marked items would automatically be selected for the crop
I would imagine this would be very scriptable. For instance:

Set your alt-click to set take colour to a special colour.
Then for the crop action use a script that looks at the colour of all selected items takes, switches them to the takes that have your special colour and does a crop. Perhaps it could notify you first if any sections don't have your special colour or if there are more than one take with that colour.

Kind of a colour-based crop comp
Old 03-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #36
mccrabney

Quote:
Imagine a script that detects the pitches of each note of the the audio item (and adds item marker)
this would be amazing for arrange view sample collage.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #37
nofish

^^ Then we should have take marker API.

But I'd expect (hope) it to come after the initial things are ironed out.

edit:
Yep, thanks!

Last edited by nofish; 03-14-2020 at 12:59 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #38
Edgemeal

Default How to add Take Marker ?

Quote:
v6.05+dev0314 - March 14 2020
+ ReaScript: add take marker support
Has anyone been able to add a take marker via Lua?
If I add a take marker using action I can then read and change the text and even set the color, but can't seem to just add a marker.

API doc's say,
D_TAKE_MARKER_SRC_TIME:n : double * : position in take source time of take marker number n (1-based).
if n is not provided, this will add a take marker

But nothing gets added.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #39
Nardberr

Quote:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have play markers as well allowing you to Control play across different takes? It would be the next step after identifying with the good and bad areas.
Nardberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #40
ferropop

Slight deviation, now that all this take clicking / marker adding is happening....

Is there any way to select an item WITHOUT changing the active take? In my honest opinion this should be the Default behaviour, and Changing Active Take should require a mouse-modifier. It's just so damned easy to accidentally mess up your comp and start selecting different takes...especially with certain colour situations where it's almost impossible to tell which take is actually active! Should be a golden rule, that most "destructive" actions should require a modifier, no?

I've messed with things like locking all the takes before comping, and assigning an Unlock modifier when wanting to audition the other takes...but as always this is hackish.