Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Default 2- or more-dimensional video fx parameter control

I'm wondering if the video processor may be capable of allowing the user to control 2 linked video fx parameters at the same time (for example the x- and y offset) via some sort of virtual x/y-touch pad graphic. This would greatly facilitate adjustments like placing an overlay image or text at a desired location in a video. A third slider could take control of another parameter speeding up trying complex parameter combinations that take a considerable amount of time when adjusted separately (as is currently necessary).

Also, some video editors use key points to simplify complex parameter transitions. Users can define keyframes that have a desired combination of starting values for several fx parameters and the entire multi-parameter transitioning is then interpolated (user-definable: linear, fast start/end, Bézier) between following keypoints.

(Thankful for what we've already got ... )

Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Eliseat

It would be possible but I guess not in real time. Maybe with the new updates for better video performances.

But are you kind of "hochbegabt"? Your last posts all show a large amount of weird and complicated ideas and imaginations. Your "basic video-editing related questions" are so specific that I just stopped after the second point in your list. (Maybe I read tomorrow as I'm really tired today. )

Anyway. All the movement in the video community feels great and of course this leads into more and more improvements. And that is a good thing.

Greetings
from Germany to Germany
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
... But are you kind of "hochbegabt"? Your last posts all show a large amount of weird and complicated ideas and imaginations. Your "basic video-editing related questions" are so specific that I just stopped after the second point in your list. (Maybe I read tomorrow as I'm really tired today. )
thanks, Eliseat, for being the first individual on earth to notice that I'm "hochbegabt"

I really can't see anything "weird" or "complicated" in my ideas. This is actually fairly basic video (editing) stuff and has been part of other video editing software for decades. I'm happy with how Reaper is developing on the video side right now but there are still a few things that could make video editing much more efficient.

Vegas Video has been my preferred audio and video editor during the early 2000's (until switching to Reaper for audio multitracking and feeling absolutely "at home" for some strange reason ). Back then, most people watched videos on CRT screens that use interlacing technique to display video frames (Wikipedia article: Interlaced video).

Disrespecting proper interlacing settings when editing and rendering video resulted in unbearable flickering of moving objects on CRT displays. The same happened when a video item was not placed exactly on frame grid lines so it was essential to always pay attention to video object placement and appropriate interlacing settings. You had to be aware of these factors when editing video in those times, else your video came out as rubbish for the viewers.

Today, CRT screens are rarely used. TFT/LED screens can automatically adjust to the video's scanning method (interlaced or progressive). Flickering due to wrong video rendering will almost never happen today. But I'm not quite sure if about that - hence, my questions

'ne schööne Jroooß rövver nach Kölle ussm Berjischen Land

Old 12-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #4
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
thanks, Eliseat, for being the first individual on earth to notice that I'm "hochbegabt"

I really can't see anything "weird" or "complicated" in my ideas. This is actually fairly basic video (editing) stuff and has been part of other video editing software for decades. I'm happy with how Reaper is developing on the video side right now but there are still a few things that could make video editing much more efficient...

'ne schööne Jroooß rövver nach Kölle ussm Berjischen Land

That's of course true. My assumption about your "Hochbegabung" was kind of a reference to your writing style as you made your posts look like as it would be some stupid newbie questions. So I was surprised to find serious facts inside.

Actually I have no idea of how reaper handles the frame-wise positioning of videos. I just placed them and never had problems. But it is of course the best method to let the ruler show frame subdivisions which gives the possibility of positioning video clips exactly.
Interlacing only shows up in older videos as most of the modern cameras record solid frames. And internet clips are also mainly not interlaced. But if you have to use older material then its of course a problem. Not sure about how Reaper can handle such things but there is a de-interlace preset in the video processor.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote