Old 03-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default Nasty, Show-stopping UI bug!

Please help! have been experiencing this bug since v5.963. It pops up randomly, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Basically, things get stuck: various floating windows will never close, and certain things will no longer function. For example, if I try to do a "Save as...", I will only see the UI flash on the screen for a split second, and then it just as quickly disappears. If I do a "find shortcut", it won't work (won't look up any shortcut I type), and another instance of that UI gets stuck every time I try to do it again. The only way to end this buggy behavior is to quit and relaunch REAPER.

I was really hoping the upgrade to v6 would solve this. But it looks like it's still here to torment me every so often, sometimes several times a day. And tonight it has happened at least 3 times within the span of the past couple hours.

Here's my current system info in case it helps. If any other info is needed, please just let me know what and how to include it here.

REAPER v6.05/64 rev 527eef (Mar 5 2020)

Hardware Configuration:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 185.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.45f0
Serial Number (system): C02TT565HTDF
Hardware UUID: F1A4EDEE-BB1C-586F-9D03-F6E9D89DD757

System Software Overview:
System Version: macOS 10.12.6 (16G29)
Kernel Version: Darwin 16.7.0
Boot Volume: OSX
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: MIKEMAC
User Name: MM (MM)
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
System Integrity Protection: Enabled
Time since boot: 1 day 6:52

Audio I/O:
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Can you provide a screen capture of what happens so we can see?
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
earhax

Sure,no problem. It has actually been occuring a lot today so I'll capture some video the next time it does.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
EpicSounds

This is probably a pinned window on top of the window that has focus

try cmd-` to cycle windows or F3/fn F3 to show all
Old 03-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
earhax

Here you go. Definitely nothing as simple as a pinned window issue. Things will be working just fine, and then seemingly randomly, this starts happening.

The framerate of LICEcap was set too low to capture the flash of the 'save as' window popping up. But basically, it comes up then quickly disappears before it even finishes being fully drawn on screen.

It won't happen witl all of the UI windows that pop up. e.g. TCP routing, FX chain, and some others still seem to work normally. But it is definitely more than just the actions window and other related UI pop-ups.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:07 AM   #6
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Can you provide a screen capture of what happens so we can see?
@Justin Any update on this? I'm still suffering from it on a daily basis, needing to regularly restart REAPER in order to fix it. Please let me know if you need logs or anything else that might help determine what is causing it.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Two things that would be helpful:

1) next time this happens, open a Terminal.app and type:

sudo spindump REAPER

And email the output file it generates to support at cockos dot com.

2) Then, try taking each window on the screen that doesn't respond, and move it offscreen, until there are no windows left?

Another question -- is the Soundminer REAPER extension installed? Does this happen without it installed?
Old 04-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
earhax

Quote:
Two things that would be helpful:

1) next time this happens, open a Terminal.app and type:

sudo spindump REAPER

And email the output file it generates to support at cockos dot com.

2) Then, try taking each window on the screen that doesn't respond, and move it offscreen, until there are no windows left?

Another question -- is the Soundminer REAPER extension installed? Does this happen without it installed?
Thanks for the info. I'll try what you suggested and will email you the output.

I'm not sure if it still occurs either way, but lately I have been using soundminer with the Reaper extension and ReWire. However, I think it may be related to having bridged 32-bit plug-ins loaded via reaper_host_i386.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:41 AM   #9
earhax

Well I worked the rest of the night without soundminer running, and even though I still had the track hosting the soundminer engine ReWire plugin in the project, I didn't see this bug again the whole night. So it's looking like it might only be happening when soundminer is running and connected to Reaper.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #10
earhax

Well, this nasty little bug is back again.

(TBH, it probably never left, but I haven't been using REAPER on my Mac with Soundminer for a while.)

Yesterday, it was occurring very frequently (like every 10-15 min). I forgot about this thread until now, so didn't get the spindump (yet, but will next time).

I tried disabling the macOS preference for displays to have their own spaces, and rebooted. For a while, that seemed to fix it. But then, a few hours later when using Soundminer and REAPER again, it started acting up again. And this time I wasn't even using ReWire!

I think I still might've had the SM Engine 4.0 ReWire plugin on a track in my project, but the plugin was bypassed and offline. However, I think I left the DAW App in Soundminer set to Soundminer Reaper Extension.

Anyway, tonight I will try all combinations of REAPER+Soundminer (with ReWire running and connected, with it disconnected but still active on a track, and with it disconnected and bypassed offline - both with Reaper Extension selected, and with No DAW selected). I'll be sure to capture a spindump any time I encounter the UI bug.

I'll also try moving all of the windows offscreen as you suggested... or as far offscreen as I can, anyway... not sure exactly how to move windows completely offscreen, since I can't move the mouse pointer off the screen.

Justin - is there some method you'd suggest to move UI windows 100% off the screen (probably some way other than using the mouse)?
Old 10-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Does it occur as well when you use a portable installation of Reaper? Just minimal without any plugins.
If not, we could go through the plugins one by one.

Oh and just as this happened to somebody a while ago: could you check, whether there's an input device that's going wild? Like some Mididevice sending notes, keyboard that's sending keyboard commands(esc for example) that could cause these issues...

These are just some wild guesses but sometimes checking the basics yet again could reveal something previously unknown.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:48 AM   #12
earhax

Quote:

I had the issue occur again. Only this time the problem occurred without Soundminer even running!

I still had the ReWired SM Engine 4.0 insert active on a track. But aside from that, this time the problem was isolated to using only REAPER.

The only thing different than usual is I opened a second project tab and loaded an older version of the project I'm working on in order to copy some media items over from one of the tracks.

I emailed the spindump file as requested.

Also, trying to move all of the floating windows off the screen (or as far off as I can get them using the mouse to move them) doesn't seem to make any difference.

And I'm not sure if any of my MIDI devices are spamming anything, but I doubt it.

And I haven't tried a portable install of REAPER. But the project I've been working in lately doesn't really have many active plugins running.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #13
Justin
Administrator

If you can duplicate this, can you run REAPER from Terminal.app (e.g. by running /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER) and see if it prints anything right before it enters this state? It might show information about an exception.

Alternatively you can look in Console.app and see if there's any REAPER exceptions (exceptions, not crashes) in the system.log or device log...
Old 10-31-2020, 03:14 AM   #14
earhax

Quote:
If you can duplicate this, can you run REAPER from Terminal.app (e.g. by running /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER) and see if it prints anything right before it enters this state? It might show information about an exception.

Alternatively you can look in Console.app and see if there's any REAPER exceptions (exceptions, not crashes) in the system.log or device log...
Hey, Justin. Yes, I'll run it this way today and send whatever info I gather. Thanks for looking into this! Hope you have a great weekend and a Happy Halloween! 🎃
Old 10-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
rncwalker

I have found that most of the time, that their is a dialog window that you need to respond to before anything else happens. It makes what ever program you are running appear to be frozen.

NI Kontakt does this to me at times. Seeing "the UI flash on the screen for a split second" means that there is a dialog somewhere, most likely behind all other windows.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #16
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
I have found that most of the time, that their is a dialog window that you need to respond to before anything else happens. It makes what ever program you are running appear to be frozen.

NI Kontakt does this to me at times. Seeing "the UI flash on the screen for a split second" means that there is a dialog somewhere, most likely behind all other windows.

Robert
I thought this too at first. But unfortunately, that is not the case here, as I've moved all of the open windows off screen looking for something I needed to acknowledge, and found nothing. Also, the UI isn't simply frozen/unresponsive, but multiple copies of some windows will be interactable, but cannot be closed, while others will fail to open at all. You can see this behavior in the animated GIFs I shared in a previous post in this thread.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #17
earhax

Quote:

So far, after running from Terminal, I haven't seen any exceptions and haven't encountered this UI bug again (yet). However, after launching the project I'm working on, I am seeing the following in terminal.
Code:
MM$ /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER
2020-11-01 17:21:26.056 REAPER[13485:1318576] swell-cocoa: mtl ok for device 0x7fadd00dd200 AMD Radeon Pro 560!
objc[13485]: Class SaveDialog is implemented in both /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/BBE Sound/BBE Sonic Maximizer.vst/Contents/MacOS/BBE Sonic Maximizer (0x11b13edd0) and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/BBE Sound/BBE Harmonic Maximizer.vst/Contents/MacOS/BBE Harmonic Maximizer (0x11b3fddb0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
objc[13485]: Class SaveDialogWindow is implemented in both /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/BBE Sound/BBE Sonic Maximizer.vst/Contents/MacOS/BBE Sonic Maximizer (0x11b13ee20) and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/BBE Sound/BBE Harmonic Maximizer.vst/Contents/MacOS/BBE Harmonic Maximizer (0x11b3fde00). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
objc[13485]: Class StringConvert is implemented in both /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/BBE Sound/BBE Sonic Maximizer.vst/Contents/MacOS/BBE Sonic Maximizer (0x11b13ee70) and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/BBE Sound/BBE Harmonic Maximizer.vst/Contents/MacOS/BBE Harmonic Maximizer (0x11b3fde50). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
____AudioEffect dispatcher.  opcode: 53 not handled
objc[13485]: Class LegacySynchronousDownload is implemented in both /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Soundtoys/EchoBoy.vst/Contents/MacOS/EchoBoy (0x11c924658) and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Soundtoys/EffectRack.vst/Contents/MacOS/EffectRack (0x123996e78). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
____AudioEffect dispatcher.  opcode: 53 not handled
The last line "____AudioEffect dispatcher. opcode: 53 not handled" continues to spam to Terminal. It stops when I remove/offline the VST Exponential Audio PhoenixVerb Surround plugin. I also noticed, when I use the VST3 version of the same plugin, Terminal isn't being spammed.

I also looked in console.app. Not seeing any REAPER exceptions in the device log (when I have my machine selected under "Devices", I assume), or in the system.log.

I'll update once I encounter the UI bug again with any additional info that pops up.

Last edited by earhax; 11-01-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #18
earhax

Ok I encountered the bug again, and I see the following in Terminal:
Code:
2020-11-01 23:35:08.201 REAPER[13485:1318576] IMKInputSession presentFunctionRowItemTextInputViewWithEndpoint:completionHandler: : [self textInputContext]=0x0 *NO* NSRemoteViewController to client, NSError=Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection from pid 0 was invalidated from this process." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection from pid 0 was invalidated from this process.}, com.apple.inputmethod.EmojiFunctionRowItem
In Console, with my device selected, I searched for "exception", and see there are a number of occurrences of each of the following exceptions since the time I last ran REAPER. I'm not sure which of them might be relevant:
Code:
default	17:28:03.089392 +0100	taskgated	MacOS error: -67062
default	17:31:38.846304 +0100	tccd	MacOS error: -67062
default	17:44:07.651253 +0100	tccd	MacOS error: -67050
default	17:44:08.025390 +0100	REAPER	MacOS error: -67062
default	17:44:08.031469 +0100	REAPER	MacOS error: -67050
default	17:45:07.578229 +0100	ocspd	CSSM Exception: -2147413737 CSSMERR_DL_DATASTORE_DOESNOT_EXIST
default	17:59:03.104545 +0100	securityd	MacOS error: -67050
default	18:02:55.127618 +0100	launchservicesd	UNIX error exception: 22
default	18:02:55.128673 +0100	launchservicesd	MacOS error: -67062
default	18:02:56.564190 +0100	socketfilterfw	MacOS error: -67062
default	18:20:16.904989 +0100	quicklookd	MacOS error: -67062
default	18:20:17.010840 +0100	quicklookd	MacOS error: -67050
default	18:25:41.689140 +0100	com.apple.iCloudHelper	MacOS error: -67050
default	18:25:41.936776 +0100	syncdefaultsd	UNIX error exception: 2
default	18:25:41.936846 +0100	syncdefaultsd	MacOS error: -67068
The last 3 here showed up when I tried a few times to navigate through the menu with the mouse to File > Save project as...:
Code:
error	23:46:50.150511 +0100	REAPER	An uncaught exception was raised
error	23:47:05.147163 +0100	REAPER	An uncaught exception was raised
error	23:47:06.953710 +0100	REAPER	An uncaught exception was raised
Any time I try doing it, this exception shows up again.

I also see a number of occurrences of the following faults/errors (not listed when filtering for "exception") for the REAPER process in the device log:
Code:
fault	17:44:07.602942 +0100	REAPER	Failed to updated bookmark for item <private> with error <private>
fault	17:44:07.619346 +0100	REAPER	[ERROR] Failed getting container for URL: <private>, error: <private>
error	23:07:02.959377 +0100	REAPER	<private>