Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
ReaperStudent1
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI "double notes" in Overdub mode

I have run into a new behavior in the past 4 weeks or so. I would like to eliminate this behavior. I am playing the Noire Kontakt piano, recording a midi track in overdub mode. Sometimes I will delete a few measures of midi notes within an item and re-record within the newly-blank area of the midi item.

However, when I start to record in overdub mode in the blank area of the midi item I hear a “double attack” or “midi feedback" as if there is either a “ghost” part underneath (a “take” perhaps) or a midi loop of some kind. On playback this midi feedback sound goes away. The notes sound fine. It is not present when I am initially recording the original part and it is not present if I am playing but not recording. Also, this doubling happens whether I play the same notes or brand new notes within the (empty area of the) midi item. If I erase the new notes and just listen, there are no notes playing underneath.

Again, playing any kind of notes in the “blank” area of a midi item during overdub mode (after erasing some notes in the item) creates “midi feedback”. Not before, not after, just during the overdub recording process.

This behavior is present in both menu selections 1&2 on the “overlap” menu item:
a) default
b ) tape mode

I have been recording on various Kontakt pianos since 2015 and this behavior has only happened this year, in the last 60 days or so,

Again… I am trying to overdub a piano part on a midi track…for instance re-recording the last 2 measures of a 4 measure selection.

If I create a new midi item (for instance for measures 3 and 4) the behavior is not present.

Again…”double” midi notes only in overdub mode while recording in a blank area in an existing midi item where there were notes but now erased (blank). If I trim the end of the item so the new notes are not in the old midi item, the item will extend and the doubled notes will only feed back in the area where there would have been overlap.

This is brand new behavior and if there is some default I can change to get back to the seamless old behavior I would appreciate help in finding it
ReaperStudent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
mks

Yes. I was about to write a behavior report on this too. Very annoying since recording MIDI and punching in like this is what I do a lot of in a day. Might be related to a bunch of other MIDI issues too I’ve noticed. Hope we find a solution to this soon.
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
ReaperStudent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks View Post
Yes. I was about to write a behavior report on this too. Very annoying since recording MIDI and punching in like this is what I do a lot of in a day. Might be related to a bunch of other MIDI issues too I’ve noticed. Hope we find a solution to this soon.
It's super helpful to know I am not the only one with this issue. If I come up with more details about the occurrence I will post them. Hope you will chime in if you find out anything
ReaperStudent1 is offline   Reply With Quote