Old 08-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #1
frybyte
Human being with feelings

Default panning source how to record it in reaper?

Hello - first post so if this is answered please provide a link.
win7pro 64bit, roland old keyboard into a Roland Fantom XR out to a soundcraft 6 channel mixer. The sample is called ambidextrous and bounces right to left along with a center sound that is the primary note of a chord.

I can hear the bounce with headphones in the Fantom, and in the desk but can't record it so it is anything but mono and no pan or bouncing.

I tried panning the pots for right and left and two tracks in Reaper the same and both of the tracks in Reaper hold all the signal and it's in mono and hold the same content.- and there's no panning.

So how to do this? If It Can Be Done.
Thanks in advance even if it can't
j
frybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
serr

You have to record both stereo channels.

That stereo mix comes out of the keyboard sound module as two channel analog stereo. There isn't some cryptic thing where the stereo is encoded into one channel and then you decode it later. It's literally an analog stereo output. You simply need to record both channels.

You can choose to record to a single 2 channel stereo file by choosing a stereo pair of inputs for the track or record to two separate tracks and pan them left and right. (Or however you prefer to pan that stereo source in the mix you aim to make.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
frybyte

Default re; panning source etc

Hi- thanks I thought I replied to you but don't see it here. What you describe is exactly what I thought and did two channel out into desk panned left and right and both channels playback as mono with same content no bouncing pan.
So it occurs to me that I am using the wrong vocabulary.

There are sounds from this 'sample(?) that bounce from right to left etc which I have been calling panning, there are also sounds that are mainly to the right or left as in channels. I want to record that effect of all those sounds moving around like they do coming out of the Fantom and taking a right and left channel from Fantom and putting them through a hard panned left right in the Soundcraft doesn't work as the tracks in reaper recorded that way are mono with no bouncing or panning and the separate tracks may as well be one.

If there was a hard panned signal from the Fantom your answer would have made sense but it's not the problem in this case.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Stella645

Tell us what mixer.

If this is also the audio interface tell us what driver you are using?

Post screencaps of your audio device setup and of your tracks inputs settings.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by frybyte View Post
Hi- thanks I thought I replied to you but don't see it here. What you describe is exactly what I thought and did two channel out into desk panned left and right and both channels playback as mono with same content no bouncing pan.
And you assigned those channels inputs to the correct hardware inputs?

For example, if you were to forget to assign your hardware inputs intentionally, the default channel assignment is channel 1. If you made 8 new tracks with the default preferences in place, they would all have their input assigned to channel 1 of your connected audio interface until you changed them.

This comes up often enough. People tend to guess that the track number somehow magically connects it to that number input on their interface.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
frybyte

Default panning source how to record it in reaper?

So Stellaetc... I gave the mixer info in my firstpost soundcraft 6 channel mixer the other things you ask for I don't understand the vocabulary you're using so I don't know how to answer or provide those.

Serr
If I understand what you are asking.....There's a right and left out of the Fantom, into the soundcraft mixer panned right and left into reaper panned right and left. If there's something I'm missing (I hope there is) I don't understand more about what you are suggesting. The right and left from the mixer go into a Juli@ soundboard (I think that's what it's called in the computer and for years has worked fine putting stereo tracks panned properly in other DAW's that's why I'm perplexed though must admit I never tried this before in them)...

So thanks still don't think I understand what I'm doing wrong if that's even the right word here. It's more what do I need to do?
jay