Old 02-28-2020, 01:43 AM   #1
Josh_guitarreiru
Human being with feelings

Default Bad AAC Audio quality on video export

Hi All,

I'm wondering how can I get good AAC audio quality when exporting a video? I set the bitrate to 320 Kbps to match the high quality MP3 but the audio is just rubish. Audio artifacts are very noticeable in drum hits specially on cimbals (very similar to 64 kbps mp3 or even worse!). If I export the video with MP3 audio at 320 kbps is fine though.

I have read the Video Playback and Exporting thread on this forum (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459) but doesn't seem to provide details on this.

I will try the strategy they suggest of exporting in losseless format and then convert using HandBrake, but just wanted to know if anybody knows what might be the issue.

Cheers!
Josh_guitarreiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
bogo

It's been a long time I tried but I had the same issue a few years ago when exporting to video using ffmpeg QT/Mov/MP4 with AAC audio. I had to export the audio in pcm and let youtube take care of it.

Might be related to the ffmpeg version you use.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Josh_guitarreiru

Hi Bogo.

Thanks for your feedback on that. I downloaded the latest codecs both ffmpeg and vlc ones so not sure if this could be the issue. As I have to upload a video on youtube today I'll try to export in highest quality and then convert using HandBrake.

Cheers,

Josh
Josh_guitarreiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:59 AM   #4
kod

Unfortunately, this appears to still be the case. The audio quality of the video, when exported into AAC 128kbps, is really bad.

Is there a way to fix this?
kod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #5
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
Unfortunately, this appears to still be the case. The audio quality of the video, when exported into AAC 128kbps, is really bad.

Is there a way to fix this?
AAC at 128 kbps is going to sound pretty bad no matter what codec you use, but especially at Constant BitRate (CBR). I could be wrong but I believe the codec that YouTube uses is Variable BitRate (VBR), (you could verify this by downloading a YouTube video and then check it out with MediaInfo) so it’s better at hiding the artifacts you’re hearing. Regardless of what BitRate you export audio to, when uploading to YouTube it’s going to recompress the audio into a bunch of different formats for different devices, so I’d highly recommend using 24-bit PCM at 48khz and just bite the bullet on having longer upload times.
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote