Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-27-2020, 02:19 AM   #1
Mind Riot
Human being with feelings

Default VST2 version works, but VST3 version doesn't

I posted about this on the general forum, but maybe this is a better place.

I've got several amp sims from Brainworx where the VST2.4 version of them works fine, but the VST3 version passes no sound. Silence. They are all like this save one, and I have no idea what makes that one different.

A little wrinkle I noticed is that with the one that works my presets are there for both the VST2 and VST3 versions. But for all the others my presets only show up for the VST2 versions. The VST3 ones not only won't pass sound but they seem disconnected from their VST2 counterparts in a way it appears they shouldn't be. Not sure how relevant that is, but I noticed it.

I contacted Plugin Alliance tech support and they sent a whole two sentences back telling me that they couldn't reproduce the bug on their end and that it wasn't their bug so I should go looking on the Reaper forums for help.

Anyone have any insight to offer? Ever run into anything like this before? Thanks for any insight you may be able to share.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
domzy

i haven't got any insight, but i'm curious about what you mean by saying that the VST2 and VST3 should be connected - i assumed they were separate entities.
At the end of the day, what's the problem with using the VST2 versions? I tend to use VST2 versions when available, VST3 have been a bit hit & miss for me in the past.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 AM   #3
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
i haven't got any insight, but i'm curious about what you mean by saying that the VST2 and VST3 should be connected - i assumed they were separate entities.
At the end of the day, what's the problem with using the VST2 versions? I tend to use VST2 versions when available, VST3 have been a bit hit & miss for me in the past.
I don't think they're connected, I just noticed that on the only amp where both the VST2 and the VST3 version work my presets, which are stored in Reaper, not the plugin, will load up in both. So somehow Reaper knows to put those presets with both versions of that same plug. I have no idea how.

And there's really no reason I can't use the VST2 versions, but the VST3 standard is more efficient with your CPU; it doesn't run when there is no audio being fed to it, whereas VST2's run all the time no matter what's happening. So I would like to be able to take advantage of the more efficient CPU utilization of the VST3 standard, and I can't. It's a bit frustrating.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
And there's really no reason I can't use the VST2 versions, but the VST3 standard is more efficient with your CPU; it doesn't run when there is no audio being fed to it, whereas VST2's run all the time no matter what's happening. So I would like to be able to take advantage of the more efficient CPU utilization of the VST3 standard, and I can't. It's a bit frustrating.
i thought that depended on the host and the plug-in both supporting this functionality - on the plugin that does work for you as VST3 have you noticed / measured a difference in CPU usage, as opposed to VST2?
Just curious, i do accept i'll have to get on board the VST3 bus at some stage, i'm just lazy though, so hard evidence might inspire me to buck my ideas up.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote