Old 07-28-2022, 06:05 AM   #1
Scrench
Human being with feelings

Default Please Help This Idiot

Okay, I admit it. I'm an idiot. I know I'm supposed to create folders to save projects in, but I never did that, just started recording one after another without doing any more than using the "Save Project" button, then using the project list to reopen them when needed. I can't even find where the projects are being saved on my hard drive. I also found "Clear Recent Project List" in Preferences, did that in hopes of erasing everything, which didn't work, and now I can't find the 30-40 versions of one song I was working on. I found the suggestion about saving each project again with all media items to a specified folder than deleting that folder, but can't find the projects anymore.

What I want to do is a fresh start. I'm completely finished with everything currently in Reaper V6.13. I want to delete every sound wave, file, project, everything, completely clean it out, and start over with a fresh download of V6.6 (including better file management.) It's hard to believe there isn't a "Delete Project" button right next to the save buttons. Reaper has gobbled up, with all the unused takes and copies, over 100 GB of memory that I want back.

So how can I do it? Would using "Uninstall Programs" in Windows delete Reaper as well as all files associated with it?

Thank You!
Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:59 AM   #2
Lynx_TWO

No need for something so drastic. Download the program “Everything”. Basically gives windows the instant search that Apples OS has. Type in *.rpp to find your projects. Open each one and hit Save As, then check the option “Create Subfolder” and “Move Media Items”. Save under a new folder called Reaper Projects or something. Then delete the old reaper file. You’ll now have proper file management. Done and Done!
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
nofish

If you're on Windows and haven't specified a default recording path, I think Reaper saves the recorded audio in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\REAPER Media.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrench View Post
Okay, I admit it. I'm an idiot. I know I'm supposed to create folders to save projects in, but I never did that, just started recording one after another without doing any more than using the "Save Project" button, then using the project list to reopen them when needed. I can't even find where the projects are being saved on my hard drive.
You don't really need to manually create new folders to save projects in. Check off "Create Subdirectory for Project at first save and it will be done for you, and you can still determine, by the save box, where the folder goes. And you can still use the project list to open them.

I think everyone, on their first day or week or month with Reaper did what happened to you I was personally mortified for all the files to be going into the Reaper Media folder, because I hate that kind of thing But very easy to have all projects be in a projects location on another drive, with all audio and Reaper files in their own folder automatically. Just have to tell it to.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrench View Post
Okay, I admit it. I'm an idiot. I know I'm supposed to create folders to save projects in, but I never did that, just started recording one after another without doing any more than using the "Save Project" button, then using the project list to reopen them when needed. I can't even find where the projects are being saved on my hard drive. I also found "Clear Recent Project List" in Preferences, did that in hopes of erasing everything, which didn't work, and now I can't find the 30-40 versions of one song I was working on. I found the suggestion about saving each project again with all media items to a specified folder than deleting that folder, but can't find the projects anymore.

What I want to do is a fresh start. I'm completely finished with everything currently in Reaper V6.13. I want to delete every sound wave, file, project, everything, completely clean it out, and start over with a fresh download of V6.6 (including better file management.) It's hard to believe there isn't a "Delete Project" button right next to the save buttons. Reaper has gobbled up, with all the unused takes and copies, over 100 GB of memory that I want back.

So how can I do it? Would using "Uninstall Programs" in Windows delete Reaper as well as all files associated with it?

Thank You!
Start by getting just a little familiar with your file system (ie. your hard drive)! It's made to work like the office file cabinet. The Explorer window (in Windows, Finder in Mac) is what you use to look at, move, copy, etc your files. You can sort by name, date, etc.

So you should be able to find your stuff.
There's a computer shortcut of opening an app from the document file. Instead of opening Reaper and then opening a .rpp file from the menu, browse your hard drive for the .rpp document file and double click it to open Reaper and load that file. Most apps that create files are made to work like this, FYI.

Once you find and open the project, use the feature in the 'save as' window to make copies of the audio to a new project folder. Start going through cleaning and organizing. Once you are absolutely sure you went through everything you can delete the old big catch all folder you had going.

Note that if you do a 'save as' first, any and all recorded audio as well as .rpp files go into it by default.

Get a backup drive and clone your entire hard drive to it for backup. Drives fail. Not "if", but "when". 1TB SSDs are around $120 (2TB 2x that). Upgrade if space is tight on a small older drive.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #6
bigtop

^+1
Good advice from serr.
Watch this Kenny Gioia video which will help you organise your projects.

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#pjey57lAp1k

My reaper stuff is saved to external SSDs

Good luck
Old 07-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #7
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
Download the program “Everything”. Basically gives windows the instant search that Apples OS has. Type in *.rpp to find your projects.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but ...

... oh man, thanks so much for this tip. Wish I'd known about this years ago!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #8
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread, but ...

... oh man, thanks so much for this tip. Wish I'd known about this years ago!
Bro I found out about “Everything” two years ago and yea, wished I’d have known much sooner. The fact that some “nerd” figured it out and released it as a free program, and Microsoft with billions of dollars and massive Human Resources are still trudging along? Shame. Shame on them.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:32 AM   #9
Scrench

Thanks Guys!

I found all 551 audio files of my failed overdubs, deleted them all, wiped out projects I no longer need, upgraded to V6.64, and am now going to save all my projects in Reaper and on a 2nd hard drive I have in the comp, AND on a USB thumb drive, just for protection. I already experimented with everything and life is wonderful again. I recorded a quick demo, saved it to thumb drive, deleted everything from the computer, then was able to recover the entire song just from the thumb drive. Yeah!!!

Thank you Reaper, and thanks to all of the great forum participants we have.

Scrench
Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #10
Lynx_TWO

I highly recommend Allway Sync for syncing your projects folder to your thumb drive. You set it up once and can schedule syncing or do it manually. The best is, it’s free software!

http://allwaysync.com/