Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 AM   #1
Tubeguy
Human being with feelings

Default Using short delay on drums

I've been doing it for quiet some time now, I put about 60ms single delay on drumbus or just a snare to get room effect. Than I might use longer reverb after that but it depends on material.
I came up with the idea by listening to some 70's bands, it sounded to me like that's what they used to do sometimes.
But today out of interest I thought I'd Google it but came up with nothing, (unless I wasn't attention enough). So I wonder if anyone is familiar with this technique. For me it works better that using predelay on reverb.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
bourzia

I remember hearing a rumor that Steve Albini used to do this to his room mics before he built Electrical Audio to get a bigger room sound. I messed with it years ago but wasn't a fan plus i record drums in an already large-ish sized room.
bourzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
Glennbo

I almost always use a Lexicon reverb that is set to a patch that puts the drums in a nice room. There are no tails and it is really more of a straight up delay that's somewhere in the 30-50ms range.

After putting the drums in a room, I'll still use a plate reverb on the whole kit so there are some tails after snare and tom hits, but without the first level of room simulation they don't sound as good.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Jack Ruston

It was very commonly done yeah...tape echo on the kit. It does have a bit of a dated feel about it now, and it's one of those things that sounded quite good with a tape machine, but often a bit...clattery with digital stuff.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #5
Tubeguy

Well at least I'm not the only one doing it. Yes the out of date sound is what I like. I agree that digital can make it clattery but the fix is to make the delay to sound "tapeish" with some HF roll off and yes a plate reverb works well after it.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote