Old 06-02-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default sending project

I'm having weird problems with a VSTi and the company have requested "can you please forward us a copy of a Reaper project illustrating the problems? ". I don't have any idea how to do this, or even what it means as isn't it only viewable if you have Reaper yourself (i.e. the company)? Can someone offer guidance please? Thanks
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:21 AM   #2
RobertP

I guess they have a copy of Reaper to test with/
so they would mean the .RPP file?
Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
ChrisBlue

ok thanks, so what are the steps for doing this please, step-by-step if you would be willing to. Thanks
Old 06-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
RobertP

If we assume they want the project file to troubleshoot your use of their software, they will have Reaper to test and they will have the software.
If this is the case then you need only send the .RPP file.
How you find the .RPP file depends on how you have Reaper projects in a file structure and how you name them.

My structure:
I have a folder called Reaper Projects.
Inside this is a folder for each project:Blue, Red, Green, etc
Each time I finish working on a project I save it with 'save as': Blue Take 1 for the first session. Next time I finish work on Blue Take 1, I save as Blue Take 2, and so on. These will be saved as Blue Take 1.RPP and Blue Take 2.RPP.

The latest .RPP file is the one they want - the one proving difficult. The .RPP file will not contain any recorded audio. It only contains things like tracks information, MIDI information, routing and buses, and so on.

If we assume they want the complete project (unlikely I think) you would have to literally copy the whole 'Blue' folder. This would include all the audio wav files and all the information. If they do need the whole project I would clean it up first because projects can get very large.

A .RPP file is easy to send as an email attachment as it is very light - a 14GB project folder of mine has a .RPP file of just over 1mb.

I hope that is clear enough and I am not teaching you to suck eggs!...
and good luck
Old 06-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
ChrisBlue

Great Thanks for taking the time to help!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Chris, in case this helps you in the future, an .RPP file is a text file containing project information: you could open it and read it in Notepad if you wish.

For purposes such as yours, often this file will be all that the boffins will need.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
ChrisBlue

Sorry to bother folks again. For the purposes of attaching and RPP file to send to a third party I am trying to find it in Windows file explorer but can't find any such files there. Under Reaper Media there is just a massive list of individual tracks from projects but none of them have RPP . Where, apart from in the list of projects in the Reaper file list within Reaper do I find these files please
Actually I may have done it by searching files in Explorer and then copy=and=pasting into an attachment. Still confused about where in documents it exists since when I look in documents it isn't there in the list.

Sorry I'm rambling now - when I click Reaper media now I do get a list of RPP files and none of the individual track files that I was getting before - totally confused ! Is there a way to get these alphabetical?

Last edited by ChrisBlue; 06-05-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
ChrisBlue

The email I tried to send kept giving the error message that the file was too big to send so obviously I'm not doing it right. Wonder why everything computer-based has to be such a pain. Can anyone offer help please? Thanks
Old 06-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
nicholas
Scribe

Nil desperandum! I suspect that your Windows option to hide file extensions might be turned on. We can work around this,

Start up Reaper and open the offending file.
Use File, Save project as ... to open the Save As dialog.
In the left panel, select Desktop
Make sure that options to copy or move all media are set OFF (i.e. not ticked).
Click Save.
Close Reaper.

You should now see an icon of the file you have just saved on your Windows desktop. The name will be dispalyed, but the .RPP extension might not be, This does not matter.

Now open your email program and compose your message. Drag and drop the Reaper project file into the body of the email. Most email programs allow you to attach a document this way.

You should now be able to send your email with the attachment.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

Regarding your Windows problem not showing file extensions:. The exact steps might vary with your Windows version, but in Win 10:

Open Windows Explorer
Choose View command from menu, then click Options, Change folder and search options.
In Folder Options dialog click on View tab
Deselect (untick) Hide extensions for known file types
Click OK.

In my view this should be the default, but for some reason Windows makes it the opposite.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #11
ChrisBlue

Thanks very much for that, it seems to have worked How come it's not considered too big this way to send?
Regarding the second thing when I search the file for the project it always shows it as H:\... even when I do This PC> C:\ and then search. The H disk is where I clone my C to. Is this how you would expect a search result to be or would it show it as C as well?

Last edited by ChrisBlue; 06-06-2020 at 01:13 PM.