Old 07-28-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
OPI
Human being with feelings

Default Among strangers : New track

Hi all within the mythical cockos dungeon!

I have a new track released which some (SOME) of you may enjoy.

Its a harder drum and bass type of track with some retro-ish leads and distorted bass.

Hope you enjoy the tune - https://soundcloud.com/lukeswansonmusic/among-strangers
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
Not_Here

enjoyed... that's some tight synth work there... great to listen to after mixing all evening.

nicely done... had to listen twice, love the fast stuff!
Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
OPI

Thanks for listening Dude!

Really happy you liked it. Just checked out a few of your songs, Ironic was great
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Not_Here

No prob, listening is a what music needs to exist huh?

So, that song "Isn't It Ironic" is actually the song provided to the Reaper Mix Contest by a fellow Reaper User/Forum Member - g4greg

I liked the song too... I really messed that mix up. Well, I did do exactly what I tried to do with the mix - I aimed to get it as "retro" as possible, to mirror old Pink Floyd. (Grandchester Meadows, from Umagumma) I came in dead last for that month's contest, as only one other person even mentioned it's retro sound. Others mixed it much better by todays standards.

I did learn what I set out to do, and for Junes contest I did much better. Sat out the contest this month to mix some other material from Pro Mix Academy. Not my own personal playing style, but it definitely will get me closer to being able to mix for some local Musicians.

I really enjoyed your mix also aside from the song. I liked the Piano too because it sounded just full enough, not too close, ad not all lost in verbs. The stereo image of the keyboards worked well from the bass freq's up through the high end. Were you using any mid/side on some of your tracks? Did you make effort to keep your low end mono? Just curious about behind the scenes stuff.

It really made me think of some Sci Fi Action image or something. It Sounded like something was about to happen.... dug it..

the Stuff I have posted on soundcloud changes a lot, as it is mostly translation testing and posts for others to listen to what mixes I have up..
Old 07-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Unkle Bonehead

That was awesome. Loved the kick. Took me back to my childhood int he 80's! Really rocked in the headphones.
With the build up close to the end how did you get that? It has to be more than just automating the volume. The waveform barely gets bigger. But it sounds amazing. I got to learn these little tricks or Im gonna go nuts trying to figure it out.